Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5.9 low suspension not as low as it use to be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are right. It is auto leveled. Now when you leave the car and close the doors it will lower all the way down. I know this because I used to be a "low fanatic" and it would take me an extra 5-10 seconds wherever I parked because I loved the low look. Now it does this automatically!!!

5.9 FTW!!

You are right. It is auto leveled. Now when you leave the car and close the doors it will lower all the way down. I know this because I used to be a "low fanatic" and it would take me an extra 5-10 seconds wherever I parked because I loved the low look. Now it does this automatically!!!

5.9 FTW!!

So you are saying if you've set it to high and park and get out, it lowers back down when you close doors? That's terrible. And exactly how people had initial bumper damage because it lowered down on curbs, parking blocks, etc...

So you are saying if you've set it to high and park and get out, it lowers back down when you close doors? That's terrible. And exactly how people had initial bumper damage because it lowered down on curbs, parking blocks, etc...
It's always been that way... For some reason it is more noticeable now with 5.9 (it's noticeably louder when the air suspension goes at all now).

its why you shouldn't park over a curb in this car... In fact, it's probably best not to do that in any car. This is also why the front camera is crucial.

That wasn't what I was asking sorry guess I should have been more clear. I meant low ride hieght isn't as low as it use to be. Which kinda sucks. You barely notice the difference between standard and low. The car handles a little better I think but tesla I think is afraid of putting it back to the original ride height. They should've originally had better protection for the battery. I feel like this is not the car I bought.

5.9 FTW!!

It's always been that way... For some reason it is more noticeable now with 5.9 (it's noticeably louder when the air suspension goes at all now).

its why you shouldn't park over a curb in this car... In fact, it's probably best not to do that in any car. This is also why the front camera is crucial.

This is not at all the case with my car or any of the loaners I've had. I suggest that there is something wrong with your air suspension and that you should have it checked immediately. When I set the car to high or extra high, it stays that way the entire time it is parked. It also retains the height when getting into the car and driving off. What is described above is not the intended behavior as far as I can tell based upon my own daily driving experience.

That wasn't what I was asking sorry guess I should have been more clear. I meant low ride hieght isn't as low as it use to be. Which kinda sucks. You barely notice the difference between standard and low. The car handles a little better I think but tesla I think is afraid of putting it back to the original ride height. They should've originally had better protection for the battery. I feel like this is not the car I bought.

Did you measure the ride height pre-5.8 and post-5.9? Unless you did that, there is now way to know for sure. Ride heights (in inches) are specified in the Model S owner's manual. Maybe you can compare your height against the numbers provided in the manual.

Maybe that's the difference. I never set it to high or very high. I just leave it in standard. It was pretty un noticeable for a long time. My wife would occasionally notice that it was lowering after we got out of the car. Now it's noisy when it does it, so it is plain as day. I don't mind it, I just don't park over anything. I heard about this well before I got my car, so I haven't been parking over anything since I got it.

not true. i think there were initial issues with some cars settling. it should not do that, especially over 1 hour-1 day. our has never settled even after sitting for 14 days. sits as very high setting in our garage and remains there.

Let me clarify. If you set it to low "always" as I do it will completely lower after parking. If you don't do that it will retain the height you set. Very high or high or standard will remain as such when you park unless you go into settings and select low on "always".

That wasn't what I was asking sorry guess I should have been more clear. I meant low ride hieght isn't as low as it use to be. Which kinda sucks.

6 millimeters higher is 15/64 inches.

6mm is a serious issue for you?

If there were two Model S cars side by side 6 ft. apart and one was 6mm higher than the other on level ground I doubt anyone could consistently identify which was higher.

I also doubt that anyone could reliably distinguish between them after driving them.

Last edited:
I doubt that the car would be 6mm lower across the entire battery bottom... It may be at the point that they are adding the defectors, but on average the clearance would likely still be higher even below the plate with that 6mm lift. But I agree, it is statistically insignifiicant regardless.

Possibly the new armor lowers the cars bottom by 6mm, so they adjusted the suspension to account? The bottom of the car is just as close to the ground as before. Pure speculation :)