Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What about ventilated and cooled front seats as an option for the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the Model S is supposed to be (or to become) the best car in the world I would like to say that an option that IMO is missing now on the Model S is ventilated and cooled fronts seats if the Model S wants to be competitive with German brands like Audi and Mercedes.
Since Elon said that new front seats are being developed for the Model S (and the Model X I suppose) I hope that the ventilated and cooled front seats option will be added to the options of the Model S when the new front seats of the Model S will be ready.

Opinions of TMC Members on this subject are welcome to this thread.

Now that new seats are available for the P85D can we know if they will also be ventilated soon? Does somebody know something about this subject?
No one knows outside of Tesla, but if they follow their traditional pattern, there will be six months to a year before they are made available to all models.

Always eager to hijack someone else's thread....:wink:....I DO like this idea; as a long-distance driver, I find that a ventilated seat is a wonderful addition to any auto. HOWEVER...a related feature that also is something I would open my wallet for is a heated steering wheel. PRE-heated is an even better idea....:rolleyes:

Warning, rank speculation below

So on another thread on the tesla motors forums a while back, Franz was overheard in the design center talking to a guest while passing through the common areas. He said "...and the new seats will be perforated and ventilated..." as he walked into and out of the area. This is paraphrasing from memory from another person hearing a fragment of conversation that was taken without context... So take it for what it's worth, which is not much. I think it'd be funny if Franz was trolling us personally. Can imagine him in back trying to come up with some overheard fragment that would set the forums on fire.

But based on that overheard fragment and other things rumored that I expected by end of year, I delayed my production, so it worked out far as I'm concerned.

But taking it at face value, given the date this was overheard, I have to wonder if they had hoped and expected for the new seats to be ventilated, but it didn't work out due to whatever reason. I certainly didn't see any evidence the new seats were capable of ventilation. Maybe the other performance aspects of the seat weren't as good or the rest of the engineering just wasn't ready in time. If the later, could see them becoming an option later in 2015 as the X ships. It clearly is on their list of wants, just has to slot in with everything else.

Given that the seats are only available on the P85D right now and that only that model is shipping by end of year, I really feel like this was a push to get the top end out, vs. all supply issues worked out and everything exactly the way they wanted it. I expect the new seats will be available as an option for all models in a few months, and will probably have more options at that point, especially if they actually replace the current seats vs. being a paid upgrade in the ordering process. I could see ventilated being an option in the March or after timeframe at the earliest (or whenever the D orders taken now get done with), but if it doesn't make it by the time the X is starting to roll off in quantity, then I'd expect it to not happen till end of year or 2016.

Agreed. Ventilated seats is a must-have option for me on every car I buy. The Tesla will be the first one I've owned without them since 2002. So not exactly a new feature on cars. Still odd to me why they are so far ahead of other manufacturers on some features, yet a decade behind on others.

Warning, rank speculation below

Franz was overheard in the design center talking to a guest while passing through the common areas. He said "...and the new seats will be perforated and ventilated..." as he walked into and out of the area. This is paraphrasing from memory from another person hearing a fragment of conversation that was taken without context...

He could have been talking about the X. Or the :biggrin:

Last edited:
I had ventilated seats on my last car and honestly they weren't that great, but that could have been the car. But I still wish I could have got them on my MS.

On the other hand, I'm very good at turning the A/C on before I get to the car which honestly is much better than ventilated seats (unless you forget of course).

I wondered the same thing and came to the conclusion that the Model S is marketed as a performance car...not a luxury car. That's where the difference lies. It may happen in the future, but there is a different set of priorities in performance vs. luxury

he them in our 08 STS and now my 14 Stingray. They are marvelous here in St Louis and I even needed them up in Wisconsin when on vacation a few summers ago. A black leather interior inside a car baking in the HOT sun even in a northern state is needed.