Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

supercharging rate...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With 95 rated miles left, I plugged into Fremont suoercharger. No unshared space was open. I was getting 30 mi/hr 351V 28A.

Slower than an HPWC? IS that normal?

That's about half an HPWC. But, sure. Why not?

If I understand, you pulled into a shared space. You should know that the superchargers go full power to the first car plugging into its inverters, and any second car needing charging starts out low, and then ramps up as the first car ramps down on being filled.

It would seem normal. If the first car was still being charged at a high rate, your car would charge at a low rate.

Only solution might be to try to find out what rate the other cars were charging. I don't know how to do that unless the owner is there, but at Fremont, with nothing much to do, I would expect to find a couple owners. Ask who had been there longest, and park paired with them, and you will get higher charge rates.

Or hang around a bit. Someone may come and move and you can jump on their unpaired spot. Of course, everyone else arriving will try to do the same, so good luck.

I experienced something similar my first time using a supercharger in DE. Turns out there were already 4 MS there, and I was the 5th and had to wait a short about of time for a spot (only 10 minutes or so). When I plugged in (with 3 others still charging) it was pretty slow charging at first, but pretty quickly ramped up (as the other MS had been there at least 20 minutes+). Got to chat with all but one of the other owners while I was there which was fun. :)

Interestingly enough I've been back to the DE SC a few times since and have always been the only MS. :(

Attachments

• 2014-03-02 13.41.04.jpg
    2014-03-02 13.41.04.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 408
I experienced something similar my first time using a supercharger in DE. Turns out there were already 4 MS there, and I was the 5th and had to wait a short about of time for a spot (only 10 minutes or so). When I plugged in (with 3 others still charging) it was pretty slow charging at first, but pretty quickly ramped up (as the other MS had been there at least 20 minutes+). Got to chat with all but one of the other owners while I was there which was fun. :)

Interestingly enough I've been back to the DE SC a few times since and have always been the only MS. :(

Does anyone know how to park between the lines there? Except for the red one.

The lines are in a terrible place for actual charging given how short the cables are!

What's more, the third "center" line seems to confuse people in some locations... and Newark has some faded double-lines that add to the problem.

I too have used that site 6-8 times, and I've never seen it full either... I think 3 cars was the max and usually just me and perhaps one other person...