Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Main Screen Must Have Crashed Last Night.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did some searching around and didn't find anyone with a similar story:

The car is a week old.
Yesterday I updated to 5.9, prior to that I always had VisibleTesla running in "Daydreaming" mode. In the evening, since the update was installed, I figured I could let the car sleep. So I put it in "Sleep enabled"
I have the car set to charge at 3am on my HPWC.
This morning I woke up at 6 and opened up the iPhone app to have it tell me it "might be a few mins" for the car to wake up. I waited and nothing. I went down to the garage. The car presented the handles,
I opened the door, and the mirrors did not unfold and both screens were black and rebooting. (I figured, it went into deep sleep). The cluster came up and indicated the same milage I left with last night (It did NOT charge!), but the main screen was black. I waited a few, and still nothing.
I rebooted the main screen, it came up and charging ensued immediately.
Here's the question? Has anyone had this happen or similar? Now do I need to live in fear that my car won't charge when it should (just joking there)
I called Tesla, they checked the logs and found nothing unusual, but asked that I monitor early enough to make sure that I'm not left with an uncharged car in the morning. To call back in case it happens again as he created a case.

Thanks for any advice!

I've had pretty much the same happen a couple of months ago. I needed to leave for work in the morning, and the center screen didn't come up. I rebooted both, and the center screen still remained dark. I was able to drive so I started towards work, with no A/C and music, but otherwise fine. After a couple of minutes the center screen started the T logo, and then finally came up normal, while driving.

I called Tesla and told them about that. The lady checked the logs and told me that it was a rare occurrence of the center screen not getting woken from deep sleep, and there was nothing to worry about, unless it happened again (which it hasn't). This was after one of the software updates that enabled sleep, and I had switched Visible Tesla to let the car sleep.

My occurrence was not immediately after a software update, and I had rebooted before. It just happened when the car had the option to actually sleep, which wasn't the case with older software versions (got it in May 2013).

This same situation happened to me yesterday. I plugged in my Tesla MS into my HPWC and went into the house. About an hour later I decided to check on my iPhone app how the charging was doing (I was really just topping off from a brief errand outside of the house). When I looked at the iPhone app, it showed my car with zero (0) charge. Very weird. So, I went to my garage and had the following things happen: blank center screen, door handles presented, side mirrors stayed closed and heads-up console showed zero miles used.

I received the 5.9 update about 5 days ago.

A call to Tesla Service (an excellent customer service experience by-the-way) resulted in me rebooting my center console due to "lack of fully waking up from a deep sleep." The problem was immediately solved and the car has been fine ever since.

The advice above about periodically rebooting (especially after an update) may be advisable.

I experienced something similar, and I am still on 5.8.10. I went out to my car and the handles presented, heads up display cane on but the center screen was black. I rebooted and it has been behaving ever since. That was about two weeks ago. I've had mine set to go to sleep ever since it became available, never happened before.