Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tried to look at Model S prior to delivery but---

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my first post and I am a little confused about the reaction I received at the SC today. My car is scheduled for delivery on Monday. I was told by the DS that the car would be at the SC on Friday and it could be delivered on Saturday if I wanted. Looking at the weather forecast for Saturday in central Florida (showers, gusty winds, thunderstorms and tornado warnings) made me decide on the original delivery date. I did however, go to the SC and asked to look at the car. After giving my name and a five minute wait another gentleman returned and said that the delivery date was Monday and the car would be ready at that time. I asked if the car was physically there and the reply was that it wasn't prepped yet and it would be ready Monday. I could not look at it until that time as the Tesla policy was not to see the car until the actual delivery. I told him that all I wanted was to see the car and I was told that wasn't possible and he walked away leaving me standing there. I walked out confused and disappointed. I had been taken through the entire facility before (when I went for a test drive) but now that my car was somewhere in the facility, it was now off limits. Is this normal policy? Has anyone had a similar experience? BTW--the weather is horrible right now---I am glad I am waiting until Monday.

I'm completely speculating here with no facts or experience like that (however, I'm quite comfortable coming to conclusions with nothing to back them up :)), it could be that there were a few things to fix due to transport and it's emotionally better for new owners to see the "fixed" car instead of dealing with the memory of what it originally looked like. Or, what you don't know won't hurt you and then they don't have to explain as much. However, it seems from your story a little better bedside manner at least could have helped in a normal customer service situation.

From everything I've read on this forum, any issues ARE taken care of, very well (usually!!).

I was very curious about my wife's car as it rolled off the trailer for reasons documented in other threads. Granted, I have developed a good relationship with the Service Center but they actually called me when the truck was pulling into the lot so I could take a look.

It does require a bit of "understanding" and "acceptance" when you do this. There were a lot of QC markings on the car from final inspection and these can generate a lot of questions if you are not knowledgable when it comes to manufacturing QC. Specifically, very seldom is anything perfect. There are tolerances and go no-go gauges are used to check various fits. In the case of my wife's car, there were arrows and markings on the rear hatch glass pointing to the gap between the right side hatch glass and the hatch. On closer examination, I could tell that the glass was glued in slightly biased to the right. The gap was smaller on the right than the left indicating it was not centered. It obviously failed initial QC with a no-go on that one joint. It was then examined by a line inspector and approved for release. Had I not examined the car in detail before it was PDI'd (pre-delivery inspection), I probably would have missed it.

To be clear, the glass fit is perfectly fine and the SC manager and I simply used the experience to learn a little more about how the factory QCs cars. I can understand why Tesla would not want to expose every customer to their QC laundry. The SC manager has known me for some time and knew those things are non-issues for me.

I am sorry you were left flat with the interaction. I can understand why Tesla is not excited about having customers see the cars before they are pdi'd but there is never a reason to leave the customer with a bad taste in their mouth.

When your (human) baby is born you probably don't want to hold him/her until after he/she is cleaned up a bit. Doesn't mean you won't fall in love at first sight but still a nicer way to hold your child for the first time!

Actually, kidding aside, Tesla takes some pride in the ownership delivery experience. They had mine under a car cover and two guys unrolled the cover in front of me, plus my advisor allowed me to be the one to open the shrink wrap on my key fob. It was a nice ritual and really memorable.

Mine was due to be delivered on a Monday. I really wanted it for the weekend and knew it would be in on Friday. I emailed Friday morning and they told me that they were really busy with deliveries and if I wanted a full walktrhough and detailing I'd have to wait until Monday. I emailed back saying I don't need the walkthrough and I'm not concerned about detailing and they let me come in at 6 pm on Friday (closing time). I arrive at 5 pm and they thanked me for coming early, gave me a walkthrough and it looked pretty detailed to me. Squeeky wheel gets the grease.

I'm completely speculating here with no facts or experience like that (however, I'm quite comfortable coming to conclusions with nothing to back them up :)), it could be that there were a few things to fix due to transport and it's emotionally better for new owners to see the "fixed" car instead of dealing with the memory of what it originally looked like. Or, what you don't know won't hurt you and then they don't have to explain as much. However, it seems from your story a little better bedside manner at least could have helped in a normal customer service situation.

From everything I've read on this forum, any issues ARE taken care of, very well (usually!!).

This was my guess as well. Something happened during transport.

Mine is a few weeks off but each day I get a little more excited and impatient, the same when my Leaf was ordered back in 2011.
This like the Leaf is a whole new concept actually having a car built from scratch and getting it from the factory unlike a dealership lot and having to wait.

I am hoping that I can insist that they do not wash or detail the outside of the car as I plan on sealing the car as soon as I get it, and from the detailing sites they all say the same "Don't let the dealer touch the outside of the car".
But reading these posts I realize Tesla take great pride in the owners first impressions and I think they may take issue with presenting a car that has not been washed.
Anyone else requested the dealer not touch the paintwork?

Actually I had my Xpel installer coordinate with my Tesla service Center such that they applied the full protection at the SC and it was dry and ready for my pickup on the delivery day. That way I drove off the SC with a clean and protected car! Best delivery experience I've had (even beat out my BMW m3 experience).

Policies usually are developed as an overreaction to something. Someone posted here about seeing their car before it was ready and it had some rim damage or something and they were upset. Tesla probably figured it wasn't worth this kind of trouble even though 90+% of people who saw their car would be understanding. Like most things it only takes a small percentage of people to make things difficult on the rest.

Mine was due to be delivered on a Monday. I really wanted it for the weekend and knew it would be in on Friday. I emailed Friday morning and they told me that they were really busy with deliveries and if I wanted a full walktrhough and detailing I'd have to wait until Monday. I emailed back saying I don't need the walkthrough and I'm not concerned about detailing and they let me come in at 6 pm on Friday (closing time). I arrive at 5 pm and they thanked me for coming early, gave me a walkthrough and it looked pretty detailed to me. Squeeky wheel gets the grease.
Yours had squeaky wheels??? How strange! But to the OP: When I went to pick mine up they had discovered serious blemishes due to a flapping piece of plastic in transport. This had to be taken care of and I was told, in essence, "Sorry, can you come back in a few days?" Sure, it's a disappointment. In fact, a BIG one. But better that they take care of it and you are presented a beauty.

I took delivery of the Model S today at 12:00 sharp. Everything was in order and after going over it the "bride" really looked sharp! I guess I was obsessing a little too much when I created this thread. No issues, no buyer's remorse---a truly good experience. Hopefully she will treat me as well as I am going to treat her. I shall take good care of her forever---(unless a newer, younger, prettier model comes along in a few years :wink:)