Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AS/NZS 3112 to IEC62196 15Amp portable EVSE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

meloccom

Moderator Aus/NZ
Feb 11, 2008
Sydney Australia
Discussion on the Hong Kong forum suggests that Tesla may not support or supply a portable EVSE for the UK style plug used there. BS1363 to IEC62196 220V 13A portable EVSE
My best guess for the plug receptacle on the Aus/NZ Model S is the IEC62196 or Mennekes like Europe and HK.
Here most of the level 2 Chargepoint chargers I have seen use the 15 Amp version of the AS 3112, followed by J1772 plugs.

It would be very limiting if at least the 15 Amp AS 3112 we're not supported and we couldn't take advantage of them.
Like Markwj I haven't been able to find a portable EVSE for our standard, namely AS3112 to IEC62196 and thought I would put the call out to anyone who may be aware of such a device.

Anyone?

You should be able to use most any IEC 62196 portable EVSE and then just fashion an adapter for the input form whatever plug it uses to your Aussie plug. You could probably even buy such an adapter ready made.

Did you get an answer to this question? I am taking delivery of a Model S late Sept and am wondering how I could use a 15amp socket?
Read through the Mobile Charging for Australia thread. Tesla is now providing a EU-style UMC with a 10A Australian plug pigtail. Rumor has it there will also be a 15A version and some 3-phase choices up to the UMC limit of 16A. Ask your salesperson what they expect will be provided for charging when you take delivery.

There is much to digest in the Mobile Charging thread. If you want to charge from a public J1772 EVSE like ChargePoint you need an adaptor like the Evnomics cable. As I understand it they are absolutely not endorsed by Tesla and probably aren't totally compliant with Australian electrical regulation but I will use one just like it with my Model S when it arrives. http://evnomics.com.au/j1772-to-type-2-adapter-rated-32a/ And the other thing you want is a portable 3 phase charge system of some sort. The Mobile Charging thread will point you towards a UK adaptor from Telstra _Australia_ that works with your portable charging cable that came with the Model S and if you source an Australia to UK three phase adaptor cable you can charge very quickly if you can find a three phase outlet. You find them at places like workshops and concert venues like parks. They are relatively cheap to install so getting your favourite motel to install one might well be feasible especially if you chipped in a couple of hundred dollars towards the cost.