Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who will keep the air suspension always on low with firmware 5.9?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm ready to order a P85 but I'm on the fence in which suspension to get. I see that in Firmware 5.9 that the air was reinstated to be able to be put in low position. From what I knew before the air went to low at a speed greater than about 55mph, correct? I see that in Firmware 5.9 that you can keep it low all the time or set a speed or have it never to go to low.
This update got me siding more with the air instead of the coils. I'm wondering if anyone placed it in low at all times and noticed any increase in handling at all.
I do like the look of the car when it is at its lowest setting rather than being on coils. Did anyone check to see if the new lower position is the same position as it was previously?

I'd still have to drive one that was on low all the time and see how it feels.

The amount lowered is supposed to be slightly less than previous, but there hasn't been any confirmed accurate measurements. I see where I wasn't all that clear before. Sorry about that, Chief.

The lowered suspension improved the handling and body control. But more importantly I raise suspension about once a week to avoid hitting speed bumps and drive ways. The standard suspension is actually fairly low to begin with. So keep that in mind too.

The amount lowered is supposed to be slightly less than previous, but there hasn't been any confirmed accurate measurements.

From reading the NHTSA statement, it would appear that Tesla demonstrated to the NHTSA what ride height was necessary to avoid impacts with things like the 3 ball trailer hitch, which is why I suspect that the new low height is not as low as the previous to the Nov change low height. If anyone is still running 5.7 (or was it 5.6?) that has the original low height, it would be useful to compare against the new 5.9 low height, just for the record.

Will the NTHSA mandate or recommend other cars not have a clearance below the new Model S height then?

Unlikely. The totality of the design is what matters, and the NHTSA probably recognizes that. Tesla could have moved the battery pack or done something else to mitigate the problem. What we do know is that, for the trailer hitch issue, raising the car satisfied the NHTSA. But, for the other debris apparently not. So, Tesla also needed the reinforcement solution.

If anyone is still running 5.7 (or was it 5.6?) that has the original low height, it would be useful to compare against the new 5.9 low height, just for the record.

i know it's a ton of pages to browse but that was done to the mm in the 100+ page thread about removal of lowering. Anyone who wants to do before after measurement could go there. I did not look it up because I'm barely even curious.

Doesn't that comprise a DUI offence? :)
Back on topic. I got the rear camber bolts replaced. For free, under warranty. But had to pay € 140 ex tax for the necessary wheel alignment, as the bolt replacement wasn't really a necessety.