Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Obsessed...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm Green1 and I'm an addict.... I don't have a Tesla yet, but I can't stop from spending far too much time every day thinking about one. I read this site, and every news article I can find about Tesla constantly, and I can't even count how many times I've configured "my" car on the Tesla website. (85KW, green with tan leather, pano roof, tech package, fog lights, parking sensors, air suspension, dual chargers, 19inch wheels, cold weather package) I've been a fan since the roadster was first announced. I "wanted" a roadster, but I REALLY want a model S. Trouble is, I don't exactly have $100,000 sitting around to spend on a car. Even saying that seems insane, the most I've ever spend on a car was $14,000, and I thought that was high, now I'm looking at 10 times that (I've never bought new, and in fact at time of purchase I've never owned a car that was newer than 15 years old.)

For now I think I need to keep puttering along in my ICE minivan. But I am saving as much as I can in anticipation of one day affording something (a few more years?) Of course this brings me to some interesting speculation. The Roadster started at over 100k, the Model S starts at about 70k, but is really a better car in almost every respect. Soon Tesla will unveil the "Gen III" vehicle that's supposed to be around 35k, will it be on par with an early S? or will it be a much less interesting car? I can justify spending 35K on a car (realistically more like 45K once we convert to Canadian dollars and add a feature or two) But for the Model S, if I tell my wife I'm spending more than my annual salary on a car... I'm not sure I want to have that conversation....

Anyway, I decided I'd post the introduction, because I'm sure of all the people reading this, someone can probably relate...

I can totally relate to that. I read, see everything Tesla related. I had a reservation for a Model X but I cancelled it. We moved into a new house and were a little short of cash, that is why. I went even so far that I put a high power socket in the garage when we bought the house. I also went on a couple of test drives, absolutely amazing In a couple of weeks I will have the funds to buy one but I am so in limbo. It is a heck of a lot of money and that for a car...... One must be crazy to spend so much money on a car! The most I spend on a car was 27K for my current car. To spend like four times more..... Maybe it is better paying down the mortgage with that money, or set it aside for retirement. On the other hand, this is really a once in a lifetime opportunity to buy such a beautiful car. My brother was diagnosed with leukaemia and that is when I see that it all can be over like that, so come on live a little, enjoy while you can...

Yes, as, I am totally hooked on everything Tesla....

I can totally relate to that. I read, see everything Tesla related. I had a reservation for a Model X but I cancelled it. We moved into a new house and were a little short of cash, that is why. I went even so far that I put a high power socket in the garage when we bought the house. I also went on a couple of test drives, absolutely amazing In a couple of weeks I will have the funds to buy one but I am so in limbo. It is a heck of a lot of money and that for a car...... One must be crazy to spend so much money on a car! The most I spend on a car was 27K for my current car. To spend like four times more..... Maybe it is better paying down the mortgage with that money, or set it aside for retirement. On the other hand, this is really a once in a lifetime opportunity to buy such a beautiful car. My brother was diagnosed with leukaemia and that is when I see that it all can be over like that, so come on live a little, enjoy while you can...

Yes, as, I am totally hooked on everything Tesla....

@Dutchie - I've rarely regretted the things I've done. But I always seem to regret the things I didn't do. If you CAN afford the car. Buy it. You won't regret it.

To start with, I just don't have the money right now, but at my current rate of savings, I should in another 2-3 years. And without sacrificing my retirement savings (I'm still maxing out my TFSA (Canadian Tax Free Savings Account) and RRSP (Canadian Registered Retirement Savings Plan), plus I'm one of the lucky few to still have a corporate pension, and I'm convincing myself that the TFSA really is for retirement not just for fun)
I bought Tesla shares at about $135 right after all the battery fire press, but I didn't have more than a couple thousand to throw in at the time, so even the huge increases aren't enough to cash in and turn shares in to a vehicle.
And then of course is the ever present worry of spending 100k on something like this (is my timing right, if I wait just another few months will they make something completely new and much better? Do I really need the Model S, or would I be happy enough in a Gen III for half the cost? Even with 85kw I know there are places I go now that this car can't take me (middle of nowhere where there is nowhere to plug in, 2 hour drive each way at highway speeds) so is this really the right car for me if I know I still have to have an ICE backup anyway? maybe I should just spend the 100k to renovate my house instead of buy a car, I spend more time at home than in the driver's seat after all... Etc Etc....)

At this point I've only seen one in person once, and it passed me in traffic in a blizzard so I barely got to see anything even then. The nearest Tesla gallery is 1000km away, and is still under construction. So I also worry that I might be idealizing the vehicle so much that it wouldn't be able to meet my ridiculously high expectations....

ok, now I'm getting angry at Tesla for putting me through all of this! Why couldn't they just make a mediocre POS like all the other car companies and save me the stress of wanting one this badly! :wink:

You know if you look at Tesla Motors website on their superchargers, which I am sure you have already seen, they have been very aggressive with their roll out of the super charger network. In 2-3 years when you get a Tesla, which by that time I am guessing the Model S will be cheaper with better range options, there should be super chargers more prevalent in Canada.

I am in the same boat. Cant afford one, but read everything I can on them. I have some Tesla gear. I build one on their website weekly. Ive done the test drive. Ive toured the factory. I read on here hours a week. Its an obsession.

You know if you look at Tesla Motors website on their superchargers, which I am sure you have already seen, they have been very aggressive with their roll out of the super charger network. In 2-3 years when you get a Tesla, which by that time I am guessing the Model S will be cheaper with better range options, there should be super chargers more prevalent in Canada.
That actually doesn't help at all. It tells me that, assuming they ever install any superchargers in Canada (there are still none, and the rollout date has been consistently pushed back) I'll be able to drive one very popular route (which I drive about once a year) however it doesn't help when I want to drive out to the mountains to go hiking or skiing, the first planned supercharger will be an hour drive past my turnoff, total drive will be possible in the summer for hiking, but with lower range in the winter it seems highly unlikely I'd be able to make it to our favourite cross country ski location and back. and there is nowhere along that route where I'd be able to charge. Additionally there are several other places I go occasionally that have no planned superchargers. Sure there's the sun country highway, but waiting a couple hours for a charge isn't my idea of practical for long trips (though good if you have to overnight somewhere anyway)

My best guess is that I'd need a 100-120kw pack, and a lot more superchargers for some of these trips. The good news is, that as long as I'm willing to let the wife drive the S on occasion, I could always trade her and drive ICE on those trips where I need to. (I am not willing to give up ICE entirely until there is either a lot better range, or much better infrastructure, or both)

Keep in mind I'm a huge advocate of EVs, I just know that realistically I take about a dozen trips a year to places that I just can't get to with one.

Winter range's not so bad once you hit the highway with a warm battery. It's the multiple short trips with a cold soaked battery that really impact your range. Banff, Canmore and Kananaskis have charging options that may provide ample electrons to get home while you have some dinner or a soak in the hot springs.
There may a Tesla sponsored test drive event in Calgary in the next few months so keep a look out.....at your own peril!

Thing is, the whole point to Tesla is that you don't have to change how you travel just because it's electric. And having to detour in to Kananaskis Village and wait a couple hours on a slow charger, sounds like a change. I don't go to the village, I go to various trailheads that don't have power.
Here are some of the worries I have:
- Calgary to Pocaterra in Kananaskis, ski all day, drive home. (winter)
- Calgary to upper kananaskis lakes, camp for 3 days, drive home. (summer)
- Calgary to forestry trunk rd and hunter valley road, stay all day, drive home (spring) (there won't be electricity on this route)
- Calgary to just past lake louise, camp for 3 days, drive home. (winter) (if they put a supercharger in at lake louise as speculated, this one could be fine)
- Calgary to Caroline Alberta, charge on 110v for 24hrs, drive home (I think this one is fine, and this one is probably the most important one as I do this a few times a month)
- Calgary to Invermere, charge overnight, drive home (don't want to detour as far as lake louise supercharger, though if they do Banff that could work)

Even with all the planned Canadian Superchargers, I'm still not confident that these other "routine" trips are do-able. Now I do Calgary-Vancouver once-twice a year as well, but I actually do believe those superchargers will be online "soon" (for the Tesla definition of soon)

If I see a Calgary test drive I will find a way to get there! (and my bank account will likely regret it!) otherwise I have to wait for my next trip to Vancouver.)

Any drive within 300km (return) from Calgary is quite doable without re-charging, even in winter.
There will be trips that can't be done without "changes" to your driving patterns but for me the driving factor of purchasing a Tesla was the other 99% of trips.
Thank you, my main concern was regarding decreased range in the mountains and winter on long trips. but from what you're saying, even driving to Kananaskis lakes and home (143km each way, plus any losses from reheating a cold pack for the drive home), Or one way to Invermere BC (278km) in the winter should be no problem? even doing full highway speeds (120km/hr on the Trans Canada outside the parks, 100km/hr for the rest)

I only planned to use mine for city driving but after a month of driving I think I would take it on the highway even if it meant a bit more planning, more and longer stopovers. Its a bit like going on a motor cyle trip. Takes more planning, more stops etc. but half the fun is the trip itself, whereas ICE driving for me is more about just getting there.

I only planned to use mine for city driving but after a month of driving I think I would take it on the highway even if it meant a bit more planning, more and longer stopovers. Its a bit like going on a motor cyle trip. Takes more planning, more stops etc. but half the fun is the trip itself, whereas ICE driving for me is more about just getting there.
I'm in a slightly different boat, I don't do a ton of city driving right now. My work truck comes home with me every night, so I don't commute. Many of my trips are out of town, that's why all the questions about mountain mileage. I will never buy a vehicle that's limited to the city. That's why I've never looked at an EV before, and why I want a Tesla, they've finally redefined what EV means to include "real" driving. I still think a 100-120kw pack would be better, but if I can do the trips I've outlined in this thread on an 85kw I'd be comfortable with this being my primary vehicle.

Of course there's also the whole wife issue...

I'm in a slightly different boat, I don't do a ton of city driving right now. My work truck comes home with me every night, so I don't commute. Many of my trips are out of town, that's why all the questions about mountain mileage. I will never buy a vehicle that's limited to the city. That's why I've never looked at an EV before, and why I want a Tesla, they've finally redefined what EV means to include "real" driving. I still think a 100-120kw pack would be better, but if I can do the trips I've outlined in this thread on an 85kw I'd be comfortable with this being my primary vehicle.

Of course there's also the whole wife issue...

If you buy one, you will want to use it for your work truck :) I havent ventured past cochrane yet but I'm looking forward to a Banff or Lake Louise trip soon, possibly even Kicking Horse/Golden. I'll probably post some numbers for what its worth though I'm still unable to drive it "nicely" for an entire trip so the energy usage may be not representative of a normal drive.