Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Article in The Atlantic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Arnold Panz

Model Sig 304, VIN 542
Apr 13, 2009
Miami, Florida
I didn't see this article posted anywhere, and it seems most appropriate to post it here.

The Elusive Green Economy

There's actual a brief mention of the Roadster:

In the popular imagination, green economy evokes towering wind turbines, sleek electric cars, and acres of mirrors shimmering in the desert. Immediately upon arriving in the Valley, I felt it my professional duty to test-drive a cerulean-blue Tesla Roadster, the much-discussed plug-in electric sports car that does, indeed, go from zero to 60 in 3.9 seconds and turns heads like a Ferrari. It can also top 140 miles per hour on the highway. I hear.

The article covers the first attempts by the Carter administration to move towards a greener economy, how Reagan and cheap oil in the 80s basically killed everything Carter tried, and how we are now (finally) getting back to what Carter tried back in the 70s. The main thrust of the piece is how the inconsistency of policies coming out of DC during those periods has taken the US' market leadership in greentech and shipped it to Europe, where incentives have been much more consistent. It also makes the fairly obvious point that unlike many other areas (such as the internet), government policy, incentives and money are needed in order to spur greentech.

Great article. I found this snippet particularly interesting:

Europe offers a model of how governments can lead the transition to clean energy and thereby reduce demand for fossil fuels. Denmark, which also suffered the shocks of the 1970s, no longer needs to import oil. But missing from Europe’s decades of leadership are big breakthroughs in creating renewable energy. The lack of an entrepreneurial culture is a big reason, and it is also why, despite commendable progress, Europe shouldn’t be counted on to play the role of savior in the event that Scandinavian practicality alone can’t do the job.
It may seem strange to think so, but the last, best hope for heading off climate change is probably the same country [U.S.] that botched the job so badly once before.
It's a nice ending to the article, as it gives us a little pat on the back, but I sure hope we will find the temerity to adopt our own technology.