Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Titanium undershield for Roadsters?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Titanium is strong but it still has give and will stretch a little. I was a little worried it would still allow a gouge in the titanium plating after hitting road debris, but after watching their video tests it appears to hold up very well to abuse combined combined in this 3 shield armor design. Nice Job Tesla!

As for the Roadster, as Augie discovered, any battery pack that has any surface area to the ground is vulnerable to road debris impact and possible failure. Would be nice / reassuring to have a titanium plate and improved guard under its pack too.

The exposed surface area is a lot smaller than the Model S, but it also rides lower to the ground. At least one pack has been damaged by road debris, so it's a risk, although a low one.

I don't think the risk or number of cars is high enough to justify the design and retrofit. Hopefully the "something cool for Roadster owners" is something cooler than a piece of sheet metal!

I agree with most of the statements made so far about battery location and exposure. But, we also have to keep in mind that Model S has covered way more miles than Roadster, so statistically Roadster hasn't been proven to be safer than Model S. I also think the kind of person driving a Roadster is far different than the kind of person driving a Model S, or the general population for that matter. We know our cars are low to the ground, Model S drivers don't feel it in their pants like we do. There's also something about driving a Roadster than simply demands your attention at all times - it's one of the things that makes driving Roadster such a blast for me, even after 30K miles.

One roadster battery punctured
At least one roadster floor pan punctured (not my car pictured - this is the front) -
could have injured the driver!
roadster_hole.jpg

...don't feel it in their pants like we do.

One roadster battery punctured
At least one roadster floor pan punctured (not my car pictured - this is the front) -
could have injured the driver!

The "main deflector" - keeping Kirk and Spock from getting hit in the pants at warp speed since 1966:wink::
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Navigational_deflector.

main deflector.jpg

Would be good to have more shielding for Roadster.

But hope the 2014 surprise is something else...

Have any better under panels become available?
Hi all,
I have a 2008 Roadster (#287) and the under-panel is rattling like crazy. The holes where the screws go seem to be deteriorating.
Are you aware of any products designed to strengthen and quiet that part?
It seems like some basic sheet-metal work and some well placed rubber should do the trick. Any suggestions for someone obviously not proficient technically :)
Thanks!