Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EBC Rotor Possible Upgrade and Inquiry - any idea on the specs of our rotors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got off the phone with EBC brakes. They make a really nice slotted rotor which I run on my truck, would be nice to upgrade the Roadster's rotors to slots. I found some listings online for a 5 lug Lotus Elise rotor by EBC. But EBC couldn't find any listing for them, only for the 4 lug. I called back and told them that the rotors are the same but the only difference was that the Elise runs a 4 lug where the Tesla Roadster runs a 5 lug bolt pattern. I told them it shouldn't be too hard to just add another lug hole and place them accordingly. But he came back saying they don't make custom rotors since there's a program and a cast used to make the particular rotor for each car. He did say if I have measurements of the rotor he can look up in his database if there's a rotor that would fit that they already produce. So if someone has the measurements or can get them please post. I'll try to update this post when I pull my wheel off.

We'll need the following measurements for both the *Front* and *Rear* rotor:

A) Outside Diameter
B) Circular Bolt Pattern or PCD More on info on figuring out the PCD at the bottom of this post.
C) Center Hub Hole Inner Diameter
D) Total Overall Height - This is where you lay the rotor flat on its side and measure from the flat plane (on the table) up to the highest point of the center hub sticking up.
E) Thickness of the Rotor Blade

If they can't find a match and we can't persuade them to make a 5 hole rotor we could pick up the Lotus Elise 4 lug rotor and drill out the rotor for 5 lugs that fit the Roadster.

References:
[PCD]
What does wheel PCD mean? - Wheel-Fitment.com - PCD, Offset, Center Bore, mounting and tire size data
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Wheel_bolt_pattern

Brake discs - TechWiki

EBC Ultimax Black Anodised discs
"EBC Ultimax discs offer much quieter braking and feature a special paint process to prevent corrosion. Note that the black surface will go away on the part where the brake pads touch the disc and this area can/will rust. How fast is depending on how the discs are used (and brake pads). I have read reports from 2 month to still being totally black after 2 years."

ebc_sample.jpg

Last edited:
Just from a quick look on the web I got the following:

The standard brakes on the Elise/Exige are a cross drilled and ventilated iron disc.
Brake disc thickness(front/back):
New = 26.0mm

Tesla Roadster (front/back):
PCD = 5 x 110

Brake rotor diameter = 288mm - I don't know if this is for front/back or both.

A close hit - The Saab Saab 9-3 (2003) has a 288mm (11.34") Diameter Front Brake Rotor in the 5 x 110 bolt/PCD pattern.

Also if we find a match of a 'common' mass made vehicle that's kinda sporty, chance are we can leverage off those specs and possibly get a high performance rotor as well.

Not long after buying my Roadster I had a couple of alarming braking incidents where I found that the standard brakes weren't quite as good as I'd like. This was possibly due to the lack of use they get since quite a lot of general braking is achieved through regen.

So I started looking into alternative brake pads, bigger callipers, bigger discs, and then different wheels.

Basically, the Roadster has a lot in common with the wheels/brakes on the Lotus Europa S (2006-2011), the Opel / Vauxhall VX220, and various Alfa Romeos and Saabs.

Below is a reprint of my findings from 2011 for brake discs that should fit, wheels with the correct PCD and centre bore, and I've added a screen grab about bigger discs fitting within the 16" front wheels.

Hope this helps :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've looked into alternative alloy and light weight alloys for my Roadster, here in the UK. Turns out there's quite a choice, with some interesting designs covering alot of modern Alfa Romeo's, Saabs, and Vauxhalls/Opels - most of which are not available in USA.

Below are two tables of EU wheels that match the Roadsters PCD). Only the offsets vary slightly but I doubt +/- 5mm.

Alfa Romeo Wheels can get quite exotic, such as their "teledial" simile to designs sometimes found on Lamborghini's..

I've included some ebay links, and UK alloy wheel websites.

Play around with the filters for wheel colour settings, and 16/17" etc

http://www.rimstyle.com/alloywheels/selection/index.html?car_model_id=120;cat=;sort=hi-lo;brands=;width=;colour=;page=1;dia=17

Buy 17 ALFA ROMEO GULIETTA Alloy Wheels | ALFA ROMEO GULIETTA Wheels | ALFA ROMEO Alloys

Buy 17 SAAB 9-5 (05-10) Alloy Wheels | SAAB 9-5 (05-10) Wheels | SAAB Alloys

Also, Google "Alfa Romeo teledial" to get various designs full of holes :)

alfa romeo teledial - Google Search

alfa 159 alloys 16 | eBay

alfa 159 alloys 17 | eBay

fiat croma 17 | eBay

saab 9-5 alloys | eBay

PCDtable0.jpg

PCDtable1.jpg

308mmbrakekitforS2EuropaSVX220_zpsad3e0dae.jpg

Not long after buying my Roadster I had a couple of alarming braking incidents where I found that the standard brakes weren't quite as good as I'd like. This was possibly due to the lack of use they get since quite a lot of general braking is achieved through regen.

Totally agree; however, I found that these problems were easily and inexpensively mitigated by switching to Carbotech AX6 brake pads.

I think a rotor upgrade would only be necessary if you were serious about taking the car to the track. And given the endurance on a race track...

Totally agree; however, I found that these problems were easily and inexpensively mitigated by switching to Carbotech AX6 brake pads.

I should have added that I did go down the Carbotech AX6 route - major improvement!! Although I'd really like a set of Nitron shocks now . . .

I think a rotor upgrade would only be necessary if you were serious about taking the car to the track. And given the endurance on a race track...

Agreed - the motors lack of internal cooling implies a rotor upgrade would be a bit of a waste.

But I have used the car on a track a few times, although only for two laps at a time and not for any 30 minute sustained sessions. Luckily, I have other fearsome machinery for doing track days - its my one remaining guilty secret in terms of petrol consumption.

Below is a photo of the Roadster on a track day raising funds for a children's charity. None the less, I wasn't hanging around on the track, and left quite a few petrolheads surprised. But check out the energy consumption .. !

2lapssession_zps2761c8e9.jpg

harddriving_zps099ee7ec.jpg

But I have used the car on a track a few times, although only for two laps at a time and not for any 30 minute sustained sessions. Luckily, I have other fearsome machinery for doing track days - its my one remaining guilty secret in terms of petrol consumption.

Yes, I take my Roadster to the track once a year. Usually Shannonville but last year I took it to Calabogie, thanks to a nearby Model S owner who loaned me a plug. It's fun for a few laps, but then it's starting to get slow and I'm off to cool it down.

I also routinely autocross with the Roadster. That is in fact what got me into motorsports.

However, like you, I have acquired a track weapon. I only burn gasoline at the track.

IMG_2062.JPG

I did have to upgrade the rotors in the Corvette, because the brakes were overheating at the track. But I don't think you can really get the Roadster brakes hot enough for that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Were you able to find a suitable rotor replacement for our Roadsters?

I was looking for a parts source and came across the Opel Speedster in the Brembo aftermarket catalog. The history of the Speedster parallels the Roadster - Lotus designed the Speedster for GM based on the Elise but for the GM engine making the Speedster slightly larger that the Elise. The Speedster uses 5-lug wheels in a 5x110 pattern, although they are 17" front and rear (rotors are the same size front and rear as well, but the pads are different). If you click on any of the line items a new window will pop up with more specific data on the rotors and pads, to include all the dimensions of the Brembo rotors.

Hope this is the right rotor.