Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello from new owner of a Blue S85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered an S85 in Blue w/ tan leather, obeche matte, tech, pano, and rear-facing seats, for delivery on Fri. Placed the order about 10 days ago, and got help from the sales team to get it super fast. Very excited to pick it up in less than 48 hours.

I deliberated quite a bit about:
- Inventory vs. new
- Air vs. coil suspension

Ultimately, the discounts on the few available S85s didn't really seem worth it, and there aren't a ton of used cars on the open market. Re: air vs. coil, my advisor said that the folks she sells air to rarely use the feature, and I was also convinced by lolachampcar on that one on the longevity point.

Big thanks to a few sources for guiding me through this process
- Consumer Reports, particularly the great YT video where the auto editors explain their rating (they sound like paid ad - only I know they aren't!)
- The NatGeo special on the Tesla factory and the Model S launch
- lolachampcar for answering a ton of questions
- And you! - the TMC Community!

Now on to getting the car wrapped, installing Goshers blind spot sensors and Mobileye, and taking the car on a 1,000-mi road trip through Sequoia National Park and LA with the wife and kids!

Ordered an S85 in Blue w/ tan leather, obeche matte, tech, pano, and rear-facing seats, for delivery on Fri. Placed the order about 10 days ago, and got help from the sales team to get it super fast. Very excited to pick it up in less than 48 hours.

I deliberated quite a bit about:
- Inventory vs. new
- Air vs. coil suspension

Ultimately, the discounts on the few available S85s didn't really seem worth it, and there aren't a ton of used cars on the open market. Re: air vs. coil, my advisor said that the folks she sells air to rarely use the feature, and I was also convinced by lolachampcar on that one on the longevity point.

Big thanks to a few sources for guiding me through this process
- Consumer Reports, particularly the great YT video where the auto editors explain their rating (they sound like paid ad - only I know they aren't!)
- The NatGeo special on the Tesla factory and the Model S launch
- lolachampcar for answering a ton of questions
- And you! - the TMC Community!

Now on to getting the car wrapped, installing Goshers blind spot sensors and Mobileye, and taking the car on a 1,000-mi road trip through Sequoia National Park and LA with the wife and kids!

I have the same everything except my wife wanted black leather, which has me a bit disappointed. Also I got the piano black. Let me know how you like the acceleration in the S85 compared to the P as this was my last concern when ordering! I get mine in June (self imposed extended delivery)... The wait is long...

Congrats on the car. Don't forget to post pictures when you get it.

Was this a orphaned car, a sale that feel through? Why only a 10 day wait from ordering to delivery?

This was an interesting story. I started test driving in Feb. and was pretty convinced I wanted to get an inventory car or a used car on the 2ndary market. However, Ss are limited, so I wasn't finding anything that made economic sense or, more importantly, with the options i wanted. In any event, I let my ownership advisor know that I was planning a road trip for late April. She called earlier in March and said she had a spot open up last minute and that she could get a car delivered by end of month. I passed b/c I was still shopping inventory cars. A few weeks later, we came very close to purchasing an inventory car, but I missed it by a few hours. I got a call later that evening from the area supervisor who asked, if she could get me a car by end of month, would I take delivery in March? I figured it was a meet-the-numbers-for-the-quarter thing. There were a few hiccups over the next day, but eventually, we got it sorted out, and voila, I picked up my car today. It's awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

I have the same everything except my wife wanted black leather, which has me a bit disappointed. Also I got the piano black. Let me know how you like the acceleration in the S85 compared to the P as this was my last concern when ordering! I get mine in June (self imposed extended delivery)... The wait is long...

I haven't dared test the acceleration in this car, but I did in my first test drive, and have since driven a P85 and a P85+. My initial impression is that the P is noticeably faster than the S, but for me, at least, I'm like the golf player that everyone keeps making fun on - the P was *too* fast. =) So as I was shopping, I looked at Ps, but knew I'd be more than happy with an S.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, forgot to mention, my wife *loves* the tan. We thought about black for cleanliness, but chose tan for the brightness. It makes a huge difference. The car is really bright and airy on the inside. She was worried it would be too yellow, but it's perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats on the car. Don't forget to post pictures when you get it.

Was this a orphaned car, a sale that feel through? Why only a 10 day wait from ordering to delivery?

Not beauty shots, but I figured I had to honor the moment with a few photos. I also noticed how none of the other 10 Teslas there had mounted front license plate holders. =)

Really, really happy with the blue.

2014-03-28 14.30.55.jpg
2014-03-28 14.31.02.jpg

The car goes up to a sound shop on Sun. to get Mobileye and Goshers blind spot sensors installed (blue helps there, too, b/c the sensors don't work as well when painted, apparently, so the black should hopefully not look too bad vs. the blue), then off to another shop to get fully wrapped in Xpel, coated with Opticoat, and tinted with 3M Crystalline (40 in back, 70 in front).

I have to say, I was surprised, but I found myself completely glued to the screen tonight. Played around with it for an hour. If this thing could play YouTube videos, that would pretty much do it. Oh, and it didn't log into Feedly, but I'll live. :tongue:

Just picked up the Tesla today.
- Sound shop couldn't do the Goshers b/c of the underbody retrofit, w/o removing the wheels. Skipped it.
- b/c of the sound shop had to bring in a mechanic, ran out of time for the Mobileye. Got this in my RAV4 EV tho and love it, so will get it installed some day.
- Film shop added Crystalline 40 and 70, Xpel Ultimate full wrap, and Opti-Coat.

Pretty happy.

2014-04-05 14.40.48.jpg
2014-04-05 14.40.54.jpg
2014-04-05 14.41.09.jpg
2014-04-05 14.41.19.jpg
2014-04-07 12.54.46.jpg
2014-04-07 12.54.53.jpg
2014-04-07 12.54.57.jpg
2014-04-07 12.55.04.jpg
2014-04-07 12.55.13.jpg
2014-04-07 12.55.18.jpg
2014-04-07 12.55.23.jpg