Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S Side Marker Bulb Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Goes with the car..... Hey its hip in So California!!

images4805FRXM.jpg

:tongue:

I ordered the following bulbs from eBay. They may be too long, but for $6.88 for a pair (with free shipping from CA), I'll give them a try: X2 T10 1W CREE Q5 Bright Amber LED Projector Len Interior Dome Wedge Light Bulb | eBay
I got the above LED bulbs and installed them (ordered on a Thursday evening and got them the next Monday). They are the same length as the originals, so they fit corrected. The bulbs produce the same color amber light as the front LED turn signals.

The passenger side is easier to install, since you can fully remove the wiring harness from the fender. I would suggest doing that side first. Also keep in mind which way the harness unscrewed so you can replace it the same way. Otherwise, you will be spending a long time (like me) trying to figure out how to insert it. You should keep your key handy and lock/unlock the car so you can see the bulb flashing to make sure you have inserted it with the correct polarity. Or you can leave the emergency blinkers going, but you will have to deal with removing a hot incandescent bulb. Here a few installation pictures:

The bulb packaging:
LED Package - Front.JPG
LED Package - Rear.JPG

The Two Plastic Clips That Need to be Removed (sorry for the blurry pics):
Plastic Clip 1.jpg
Plastic Clip 2.JPG

The Installed LED Bulb:
LED Side Marker Installed.jpg

Short Movie Clip Showing the Blinking Bulb:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to those who posted the initial how-to video, as well as the followup on the install.
For those of us that prefer Amazon to eBay, I was thinking of these..... thoughts?
Amazon.com: Amico 2 Pcs T10 W5W Orange 5 SMD LED Light Bulbs for Car Vehicles Lamp: Automotive
If you are going to go with some product from Amazon, I would look at a high out LED. This one looks good and it's 3W and "360º" of light. It costs more, but it has a higher intensity output which you will need in the daytime: Amazon.com: Amber 3W High Power 360-Degree Shine 158 192 W5WB 921 T10 LED Bulbs For Car License Plate, Parking, Interior and Door Lights: Automotive. Also, notice that it has a metal heat sink and the soldering is not exposed - I've had LEDs fail in cars due to vibrations and had to re-solder the LEDs.

Well, being the cheap...er... "value-minded" guy I am, not to mention my preference for a Prime item... I went ahead and bought the Amico units from Amazon that I linked above.

They are also 360 degree coverage units, and have reviews saying they worked well and were already brighter than the incandescents they replaced... so for less than $4 each, I'll give em a shot.

I'll let the folks here know how they work out...