Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much does it cost to run EV vs. gas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much does your electricity cost?
I am guessing a gas powered performance car would get about 20mpg?
Let's figure 25mpg.
So to travel 1000 miles would cost 40 gallons of gasoline. If gas in your area is $2.50, that is $100.
If your electricity costs 10 cents/Kwh, and the vehicle goes 4miles/kwh (which is about what the Roadster gets), it would cost you $25 dollars to go 1000 miles.
So, about 75% cheaper with the numbers listed above.

How much does your electricity cost?
I am guessing a gas powered performance car would get about 20mpg?
Let's figure 25mpg.
So to travel 1000 miles would cost 40 gallons of gasoline. If gas in your area is $2.50, that is $100.
If your electricity costs 10 cents/Kwh, and the vehicle goes 4miles/kwh (which is about what the Roadster gets), it would cost you $25 dollars to go 1000 miles.

I'm moving in a few weeks to Texas so don't know the exact rate is yet (although I have the option to pay a little extra for 100% wind power). Those numbers you said are probably pretty close since my car gets about 20 mpg combined. Was just surprised that there wasn't some simple online calculator where you could plug all your info in. Thanks.

Four times cheaper to five times cheaper.

To use Zythryn's model I would compare the Tesla Roadster to a Ferrari or Lamborghini. They are in the gas guzzling luxury tax rate of 8 to 12 MPG and gasoline here in LA is more like $2.80 and buzzing the $3 mark on it's way back up to $4.

I'm sticking with Five times cheaper. Gasoline prices will always have your back.

Oh,

And don't forget to add in your trips to JiffyLube, AAmco, Midas, and all that junk food you (Ok, I) buy at the gas station

This really does need to be added into the cost differential. Not only are you avoiding oil changes, but all kinds of other maintenance because there are not nearly as many moving parts. This point was made quite well in "Who Killed the Electric Car?"

I should also mention that I have a Lexus RX 400h with 65,000 miles, and the service guy at Lexus says that my brake pads are not even at the halfway point of needing to be replaced. He said that for a normal RX 350, he's have already replaced them once, at least, by 65k miles.

Sounds like a lot of money could be made by offering free charging stations in the vicinity of mini marts or restaurants or shopping centers... Just about any business you can imagine that has a free charging spot out front is likely to benefit from EV drivers stopping to charge and wandering inside to buy. The electricity is cheap enough, might as well offer it for free to encourage people to come in and shop :)