Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going Cross Country a bit more leisurely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I are planning to drive from Los Angeles to New York in mid-April. We're not going for a Cannonball run, but rather drive about 400-500 miles per day and play tourist for several hours., I've taken my Model S85 on several shorter road trips (LA to Las Vegas, Big Sur-Monterey, Lompoc, etc.), but I've never driven cross-country EV or ICE.

Our route will mostly be the Supercharger route with a major detour through the Grand Canyon. Details below. @SamO made it across both directions driving a 60 in colder weather, so I'm sure I won't have range issues if I stay on the Supercharger route. In fact, I generally plan to NOT do a range charge and just stop more often at the SC's on the way.

For future travelers, I plan to track each leg with: Route, Range at Start, Range at end, actual miles, % Range vs. actual miles traveled, Driving Time, Kw used, Kw/mile, Average Speed, Temperature, elevation change, charging time, charging speed. Anything else worth noting?

We've made a list of things to see and do along the way, but I'm really interested in suggestions from people that have actually done this, and/or have local knowledge. Attractions or even your favorite restaurant. Here's what we've planned so far.

Day 1 Spend time at Grand Canyon.
Day 2 Drive along the south rim of the Grand Canyon and then on to Monument Valley,
Day 3 Arches National Park, Colorado National Monument, Hanging Lake Trail
Day 4 Badlands National Park, Black Hills National Park, Mt. Rushmore, Jewel Cave
Day 5 Lewis and Clarke Museum, Pre-Historic Indian Village,
Day 6 Monona Terrace on the campus of Univ of Wisconsin, Madison and end at Angola, IN.
Day 7 Fallingwater and then push on to Hagerstown, MD and meet friends.

We're doing all superchargers EXCEPT through Arizona. After a range charge in Kingman, AZ, we plan to drive straight to Grand Canyon, I-40 to 64 to 180. That's 173 miles, and even though there's 3700 feet elevation change, I'm thinking we'll be fine***. The other option is to drive to Flagstaff SC, charge up and head back to Grand Canyon.

In the Grand Canyon Trailer Village, we have a reservation to use a Nema 14-50. Since we'll be there overnight, there won't be a problem getting a range charge. Leaving there, we'll drive along the south rim of the Grand Canyon (Hwy 64), then up 89 to 160. Then a slight detour up 163 to Gouldings (179 miles from the Grand Canyon), which has a Nema 14-50. Spend some time there sightseeing in Monument Valley before heading up to the Blanding Supercharger (74 miles away).
We're open to any and all suggestions. Thanks for reading.

***Kingman SC to Kaliban National Forest (intersection of I-40 and 64) is 114 miles. On to Flagstaff on I-40 is another 33 miles. Sam0 did that in a MS60 in very cold weather. From Kaliban up to Grand Canyon is 60 miles. So, we would travel 60 rather than 33, and we have an MS85 and in warmer weather.

In the Grand Canyon Trailer Village, we have a reservation to use a Nema 14-50. Since we'll be there overnight, there won't be a problem getting a range charge. Leaving there, we'll drive along the south rim of the Grand Canyon (Hwy 64), then up 89 to 160. Then a slight detour up 163 to Gouldings (179 miles from the Grand Canyon), which has a Nema 14-50. Spend some time there sightseeing in Monument Valley before heading up to the Blanding Supercharger (74 miles away).
We're open to any and all suggestions. Thanks for reading.

***Kingman SC to Kaliban National Forest (intersection of I-40 and 64) is 114 miles. On to Flagstaff on I-40 is another 33 miles. Sam0 did that in a MS60 in very cold weather. From Kaliban up to Grand Canyon is 60 miles. So, we would travel 60 rather than 33, and we have an MS85 and in warmer weather.

I used Goulding's twice last month; the campground manager is Yvonne Chee, and she has a midday charge rate of $10. They have a lot of NEMA 14-50 outlets, but not all of them provide a full 10kW. I had to hop from one to another when the first only showed 208V (the laggard was in the row of pull-throughs immediately east of the campground office; good ones were found in the row north of the office and further up the hill to the west. Two out of three ain't bad!)

While charging you can walk the half mile to the restaurant at the lodge (there's a footpath that stays high on the south side of the road, just after you pass the medical clinic: watch for it on your right so you don't have to walk all the way down and back up from the gas station). And note that once you've made the detour to Goulding's there's no reason to return to Kayenta: just keep going through Monument Valley on Utah 163 to Mexican Hat and Blanding. It's a good road, and very scenic.

After Moab, Utah 128 along the Colorado River upstream through Castle Valley is a few miles shorter and much more beautiful than the highway that takes you NNW from Moab to connect with I-70. Some of the photos and videos in my gallery at Steve Zimmermann Photography | Utah are from that road; others are from Monument Valley, Mexican Hat Rock and Comb Wash.

Have a great trip!

Last edited:
Since you're in Moab with a SC anyway, go a bit further on a 1/2 day trip and hit Dead Horse Point State Park. All of Utah is beautiful, but DHPSP was the cream; our most stunning favorite while also touring 5 Utah national parks last year and I would say even grander than the Grand Canyon, which we saw a few years ago. If you're lucky, you'll get someone to tell you what that blue man made 'lake thing' is off in the distance!

edit: IMO well worth an extra night's stay in the area.

If you're lucky, you'll get someone to tell you what that blue man made 'lake thing' is off in the distance!

You mean this thing?

First, the overhead view:

20110615-_MG_7886.jpg

Then the oblique view, looking toward Moab:

20110615-IMG_7895.jpg

It's the Cane Creek potash mine's evaporation ponds: they bring the stuff to the surface in a slurry and spread it out in these ponds to let the water evaporate. The blue color is added to help speed the evaporation.

Intrepid Potash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Enjoy your trip. I just did the "take your time" trip myself, Colorado to California and Back Again Using Superchargers and Destination Charging. Here are few hints and tips:

1. Find hotels that have 14-50 or L2 EVSE's available and give them your business! Even if you are near a Supercharger, it takes less time to plug in and let your car charge overnight than sit at a Supercharger for 30-90 minutes.
  2. When doing long gaps like Flagstaff-Blandind, or Farmington-Silverthorne, have your options preplanned.
  3. On those long stretches, do your conservative hypermiling from the beginning and then speed up, get more agressive when you know your destinatin can be made. It's a more comfortable drive this way, and you can save time and battery energy by driving a little slower for most of the segment, than a lot slower at the end.
  4. Often, a longer path with more closely spaced Superchargers can be faster than 100%/range charging to cover a long segment. It really takes a long time to charge those last few miles.
  5. EV Trip Planner is great for estimating your rated miles needed. I usually took this estimate with appropriate load, temps, etc at a speed multiplier of 1.0 and added 25% to that then drove with the traffic. Another way to do this is set the speed multiplier to 1.15 or so and drive with traffic. Turning the speed up from 1.0 to 1.15 will give you a little more than 25% buffer without having to do any more math. If a headwind looks bad, add more buffer.

Good non-Supercharger places to stop and charge:

• Wood's High Mountain Distillery - Home in Salida is open Monday to Saturday and had a 70A, J1772. If you want to do the Silverthorne to Farmington by-pass, this is a great place to top up your charge. Call Ahead.
  • Incredible Pagosa Vacation Rentals has a 70A, J1772 available 7/24. This is also a great overnight within easy walking distance of several restaurants and hot springs in Pagosa. Call Ahead.
  • RV Parks everywhere. Call ahead and ask for a "50 Amp Plug."
  • Cadillac Ranch RV Park in Bluff, UT. This one is more interesting going Flagstaff to Blanding, but I called them and they were very welcoming when I discussed using one of their 50 Amp Plugs if needed to make it to Blanding. Call Ahead.
  • Gouldings in Monument Valley. Well described by Stevezzzz.
  • Quality Inn RV Park in Tuba CIty. Good 240V+ 14-50's. Nice restaurant and gift shop in the 1890 trading post.
  • Sedona Rouge Hotel and Spa in Sedona, AZ. The drive though Oak Creek Canyon from Flagstaff is beautiful, and this is a great place for an overnight with a good 14-50.
  • Death Valley. The Phantom Ranch area has an RV Park with 50 Amp outlets near the hotel and cabins. Same EV-friendly management as Grand Canyon.
  • Grand Canyon. Described elsewhere.

Have fun and good luck!

You mean this thing?

First, the overhead view:
Awwww, you spoiled my teaser surprise! :) However this is only one little tidbit of an interesting sight from the park, and just because one has seen these awesome pictures (I love the aerial view above) is no reason NOT to go to the park. I'm trying to be persuasive here. As if that weren't obvious. Anyone else been? Back me up here!

Awwww, you spoiled my teaser surprise! :) However this is only one little tidbit of an interesting sight from the park, and just because one has seen these awesome pictures (I love the aerial view above) is no reason NOT to go to the park. I'm trying to be persuasive here. As if that weren't obvious. Anyone else been? Back me up here!

It is wonderfully beautiful there and Arches National Park just to the east is not bad either; just get out of the car and walk/hike some. BTW, if I remember correctly, there is an adventurous mountain bike route from Dead Horse down to the river; did that many years ago.

Sorry! I misread your post: I thought you were asking for information about that mysterious blue thing in the distance.

What a great forum :) Thanks to everyone who has offered suggestions..

@stevezzzz @Ugliest1 @Cottonwood
Great tips for Goulding and Moab. . Dead Horse Point is just 41 minutes east of the Tesla SC in Moab, so we'll need to do that. I'm not sure Tom Cruise impressed my wife, but Thelma and Louise and the pictures of the blue potash lake sealed the deal :)[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
@Cottonwood - I totally agree about goosing all hotels to have EV capabilities. Even when you know they have zero charging available, ask the front desk, valet or concierge if they have therm, etc. I no longer make reservations online, preferring to call and ask if they have EV charging. We recently stayed at the Ventana Inn in Big Sur, CA (GREAT place) and they have a L2 J1772. I suggested that for ~ $20 in parts and an hour or two of electrician time they could also have a Nema 14-50 which could be advertised as Tesla Charging available.

I plan to post daily progress on the trip.

I didn't need a charge, but drove down there just to see. It's a long walk back to the restaurant, and I wouldn't want to do it at night. Still, good to know in case you're in the middle of Big Sur and running out of juice.

Post Ranch has one also - "only for guests."