Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Our MS is 'Killer'...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, let me clarify... Our MS is a Killer. :scared:

So, the story starts on Monday when I went to work and sort of smelled something funny in the garage. I thought it was the trash so didn't think anything of it since it was going out that day. Tue morning arrives and the smell in the garage is a little stronger and decided to put the can outside to let it 'air' out. Tue evening driving home I notice a couple area driving where it was not so pleasant smelling but just rolled the windows down. I get home and park in the garage (which smelled pretty clean) and then go out to get something about an hour later and the smell is HORRIBLE! I also noticed our dogs sniffing around the vent area on the lower front drivers side. I could see some indications that I must have hit something and the smell was strong but of course the vent was closed with no way to see anything.

Stop by the Scottsdale Service Center this morning and told them I suspected that our MS killed something and was trapped behind the vent. Long story short, they had to remove the entire bumper to get to the 'source' and found that we had indeed killed a dove. :crying: Would like to know the odds on that happening again.

Anyway, they removed it and cleaned and disinfected the condenser and vent area. Now back to normal but getting behind the vent is not a trivial exercise... at least they did it under goodwill/warranty! :wink:

Bird Kill.jpg

Last edited:
Those things happen. I once had a dead rat under the hood near the 12v battery of my first car, the car smelled horrible for days, was in middle of summer. After about 2-3 days I popped the hood and found the leftovers / bones. "So THAT was the terrible smell" , yeah ;)

Edit: lol at that repair report! :)

I wonder if some doves are kamikaze-doves...I remember when I was a teenager and a dove suddenly hit my mother's car from the side....the bird basically made a low flyby to aim for the car, it was crazy.

Didn't know they stocked disinfectants at the service centers :)

I've had a few close shaves with Canada geese that are plentiful around where I live and work. These dumb beings are capable of flying thousands of miles during migration but, choose to cross busy roads on foot and much slower than grandma!

I have hit 2 birds :crying: in my S. One was at ~70+ mph on a hill climb and it hit just below my headlight and popped the corner clips of the bumper out a tiny (no damage though)

and the second was really sad, a small finch-like bird, I was driving 40-35 mph or so and I saw it in front of me on the road, I was thinking 'move, move' and slowing down a bit then it flew up and probably hit my nose cone because the bird flopped onto my hood and very slowly slid up my window but by that point I wasn't going fast enough for it to slide over and it kind of stuck in front of me....
I floored it and made it go away. poor little birdy

Didn't know they stocked disinfectants at the service centers :)

I've had a few close shaves with Canada geese that are plentiful around where I live and work. These dumb beings are capable of flying thousands of miles during migration but, choose to cross busy roads on foot and much slower than grandma!

I've actually hit several of them while biking on the trails. I think that they should institute urban hunting or something so these animals have an appropriate fear of fast moving humans.