Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Advice - I-88 Across Illinois / Quad Cities or Clinton, Iowa

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my MS85 for almost a week (!) and am planning my first road trip from the northern suburbs of Chicago to eastern Iowa (just north of the Quad Cities). One-way it should be approximately 175 miles, so we may not need en route charging, but I'm gathering info just in case. It looks like the Illinois roll-out of toll road EV charging infrastructure has not yet reached (or completely missed) the DeKalb Oasis on I-88; is anyone aware of charging options in that vicinity, or is the Aurora SC the closest best bet? Also, we will have only 120v charging capability at our destination, so I would greatly appreciate insight regarding public charging options in Clinton, Davenport and/or Bettendorf, Iowa, please. I have a list from http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/electricity_locations.html but welcome real-world info about location and charging experience, please (such as, are the charging stations in good working order and is there anything to do nearby) in those cities.

Thank you!

I've had my MS85 for almost a week (!) and am planning my first road trip from the northern suburbs of Chicago to eastern Iowa (just north of the Quad Cities). One-way it should be approximately 175 miles, so we may not need en route charging, but I'm gathering info just in case. It looks like the Illinois roll-out of toll road EV charging infrastructure has not yet reached (or completely missed) the DeKalb Oasis on I-88; is anyone aware of charging options in that vicinity, or is the Aurora SC the closest best bet? Also, we will have only 120v charging capability at our destination, so I would greatly appreciate insight regarding public charging options in Clinton, Davenport and/or Bettendorf, Iowa, please. I have a list from http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/electricity_locations.html but welcome real-world info about location and charging experience, please (such as, are the charging stations in good working order and is there anything to do nearby) in those cities.

Thank you!

For chargers, use PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map to look up choices. Not much in Clinton, but several choices in the Quad-Cities area; several are Nissan or Ford dealerships, some are friendly, some not, call ahead. For rated miles needed, EV Trip Planner is very good.

For the trip, consider stopping at the Rockford Supercharger which Google Maps says is only 94 miles from Clinton, IA, or the Aurora Supercharger which is another 10+ miles away. Even a lowly 3-prong plug will give you a 3 mph or 75 miles per day charge rate. With that and a 188 mile round trip, Rockford-Clinton, you may be OK.

Good Luck!