Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Massachusetts Inspection Stations for Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's that time, I've had the car for a year.

Any thoughts on where to get a safety inspection for a Tesla? Ideally, I'm looking for a shop that will actually take care when removing the old sticker/applying the new one, plus, if I'm lucky, no greasy overalls in/near my S. And if I'm super lucky, I won't have to spend 10 minutes explaining how to turn on the headlights.

I first took mine to my Toyota dealer, was funny watching them plug into the OBD diagnostic port, and their inspection machine couldn't talk to the Model S...
This year I just took it to a local garage I've been using for years, there is very little they check on an electric car.

I would be inclined to do business with a dealership that has the knowledge to inspect an all electric vehicle. I will (upon pickup) have the car inspected at a Nissan dealership (largely due to the leaf).
Remember this is a safety inspection, not a mechanical inspection. There's nothing about the drive train that figures into the process (for an EV). The most important thing is to find a shop where they won't damage the car or get greasy fingerprints on the headliner when they change the inspection sticker.

It really is fun to take the Tesla to a dealership for inspection; all the techs come over to gawk. I got my first inspection at a local Toyota dealership. As I was waiting, one of the salesmen (a man near retirement) came up to me and quietly said, "Cars like that are going to put me out of business, and most of the service guys. And that's a good thing." What could I say? He's right. I was impressed that he could see so clearly.

I also took it to my "local" (read: scrappy) place. It takes about 5 minutes because they don't need to do the exhaust inspection. Mostly they just check that the lights work, etc. I wouldn't stress about it... it's just a way for local garages to get $29 and soon $35...

You are right to be wary, I took mine somewhere local and asked them to be careful as it had only been on the road 2 days, and ended up with a huge greasy handprint on the headliner. Didn't notice till I got home, but luckily I cleaned it up without a problem. Won't be getting my business again though!

I bit the bullet and went to a gas station I have been to a lot in the past. This was their first Tesla. They were very careful and the sticker application looks perfect. I haven't found any evidence of fingerprints, so that makes me happy. I guess since I commute on 128 in all weather and traffic conditions, I probably shouldn't be too worried, the car is made to be used. But, it still feels like a very special possession, even after a year. I can't wait for our next Tesla so we'll be a completely Tesla household.

Hey Folks, looking for updated recommendations for inspection stations for my M3LR in Metro-West, Acton/ Concord area. My first inspection was in Danvers, but that's pretty far away. Hoping to find a place that knows our cars! Few local places don't use the pucks and such to jack it up, which makes me nervous. Thanks in advance.

Bring your own pucks. I use the BP on Groton Rd in Westford. They were the ones who told me about pucks but they don't have their own so you have to have a set. They cost a few bucks on Amazon, every Tesla owner should buy a set and keep them in their frunk.

Bring your own pucks. I use the BP on Groton Rd in Westford. They were the ones who told me about pucks but they don't have their own so you have to have a set. They cost a few bucks on Amazon, every Tesla owner should buy a set and keep them in their frunk.
Thanks! I have a set of pucks in the car. Good to know they are familiar with Tesla's.

Folks, I just went to the BP in Westford for a sticker...I DO NOT RECOMMEND going there. They dragged the scanner cord across my hood putting scratches all down the driver side. At least I have a year before I have to go somewhere else.