Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Signature Reservations Sold Out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a good move to prevent overselling the Signature. While I'm surprised they sold out before we even know what the production model will look like or cost, I'd expect there will be another limited chance to get in on Signatures at some point. Some people will assuredly drop out once they determine whether the production model will fit their needs better or if the price comes in too high. The final reveal can't come soon enough.

Wasn't it spring 2012? I think you are right about that.

Nope - I ordered mine in early March 2012, no sigs available, and when I called to try to get on the list, I was told that the sigs had been sold out since Oct-Nov and the waiting list itself was "full"

Honestly, if it did fill later, it would not be much of a surprise. The Sig Model S was a big unknown, and I think many felt that more "special" items were going to be included in the car that were not. There was also the fiasco with having to pay for 21" wheels even if you wanted 19", etc. IMO it is actually a little surprising that the sigs sold out before the Beta. I am sure that many (including myself) did not opt for a Sig X this time around even when available.

Interesting. Anyone remember how far ahead sigs sold out? I feel like you could still order a sig around this time 2 years ago, which was about 3-4 months prior to "launch".
Model S Sig (U.S.) initially "sold out" in January, 2012. My "becoming hazy" recollection is that it was January 6th. I could go dig it up if it really matters.

Model S Sig (U.S.) initially "sold out" in January, 2012. My "becoming hazy" recollection is that it was January 6th. I could go dig it up if it really matters.

They released a bunch of slots in April/May to waitlist members. I forget the precise time, but they gave me a call around that timeframe I think.

While I'm surprised they sold out before we even know what the production model will look like or cost....

Some of us wackos who knew that we only wanted a real electric car with suspected decent range, had our money ready to plunk down before we'd seen a drawing or even a good verbal description, let alone an alpha or beta actual physical production prototype! If they'd made the X first, I'd have had one of those.

Life's too short to keep on burning gasoline and driving last century's "technology". I have to grimace at the ads nowadays, with their "All New From the Ground Up", or "Most satisfied customers for 5 years", or now VW's "clean diesel". (I'd like to challenge VW to running the exhaust into a hose ending in front of the steering wheel, to see how many drivers would agree it was "clean".)

I was ready for Tesla 20 years ago! SO glad they made it!

Whew! I really cut it close! With Sig X reservation #1335 on March 21, I must have gotten one of the very last ones. I had been meaning to make a Sig X reservation for literally months and would have been very disappointed if the window had closed on me.

Some of us wackos who knew that we only wanted a real electric car with suspected decent range, had our money ready to plunk down before we'd seen a drawing or even a good verbal description, let alone an alpha or beta actual physical production prototype! If they'd made the X first, I'd have had one of those.

Life's too short to keep on burning gasoline and driving last century's "technology". I have to grimace at the ads nowadays, with their "All New From the Ground Up", or "Most satisfied customers for 5 years", or now VW's "clean diesel". (I'd like to challenge VW to running the exhaust into a hose ending in front of the steering wheel, to see how many drivers would agree it was "clean".)

I was ready for Tesla 20 years ago! SO glad they made it!

Or the "That's doesn't look like a Buick!" ad thats been playing all weekend. The commercial basically says "We have a reputation for making bad cars. We are now going to try and sell you our newest models without providing any information about them aside from paid actors looking surprised."

Wasn't it spring 2012? I think you are right about that.

Signature Model Ses "Sold out" in mid February 2012. I know because I was one of the early ones on the waitlist. The waitlist builds up quickly. I cleared the waitlist when the very first invitations to configure went out. At that time, many to switched to production. When I got the invitation to deposit the Signature, I was not informed what some significant differences in my build would be if I did accept the "upgrade" offer and paid extra for my car. I really should have been notified, and it is still a standing issue with many early owners.

I hear the waitlist on the Signature Model X is getting very long. I'm concerned. I thought I had plenty of time to make up my mind on the Sig X when I looked at the reservation numbers a short time ago. I was going to reserve once I figured out what the Signature colors were going to be. I heard just days ago from a Tesla store that the speculation is that it will not be Signature Red. Yesterday I realized that, if I were to get a production model, it is likely that our state sales tax exemption will have expired. That is some really big bucks!

I wouldn't be worried about issues with the Signature, except for the features that are new to the Model X like the falcon doors. Those doors are free advertising for Tesla. They will get them right. I sold many Model S just because someone saw my door handles present. It catches the eye and they are a great ice breaker.

Everything else is on the same platform as the Model S, so I wouldn't worry. I do wish that they didn't scrap some features without notifying the customers in advance. The did choose cost savings over features that people were counting on. Tesla has learned a great deal, technically, in very little time. They are a bit slower in applying what they learned about making car modifications on the fly and the associated communications that are essential.