Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel Media Controls Wonkiness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
I've started using the media controls on the left side of my steering wheel to switch between FM radio stations. I've noticed about a third of the time they advance the "wrong" direction. I.e.- Clicking the "Next (right)" control will change the station one memory preset to the left.

It feels like it's more often after I've advanced several stations one direction, and then the next time I click to go back the other direction. Sometimes it will go one click the wrong direction, and then start advancing the correct direction, other times it will continue 2 or 3 clicks in the wrong direction. Quickly pressing the buttons might trigger it more often too.

I've not tried a reboot yet, although I did one the other day. Nor have I tried to reproduce this with using media other than the radio station, such as a USB drive... I'll do that later today.

Anybody else?

A lot of car radios are set up for scan such that if you are scanning and and hit the button again before it gets to the next station, it goes back to the last one. My after market one (kenwood) in my focus did that. Nothing about scanning the other direction, but the rest of it sounds like what's going on for you.

I don't think so.... I'll check the manual, but I believe the steering wheels buttons are supposed to select the next/previous memory locations, not scan.

If it is scanning, it's missing perfectly strong signals AND scanning in the wrong direction.

Update: The manual clearly states the media-controls on the steering wheel should select previous/next radio memory preset, not seek.

The USB media player doesn't experience the issue. A reboot of the center console does not fix it.

Playing around more, I think it has to do with multiple button presses being registered before the radio has a chance to actually tune the next station. If I press rapidly enough I can trigger it almost every time. If I slow down such that the radio can fully tune the next preset station before I press again, it behaves correctly...

I noticed recently that my Slacker favorites have been disappearing. Today I found out why.

When I press the right thumb wheel to go to the next favorite, it deletes the current favorite before moving to the next.

Is that happening for anyone else?

Edit: Sorry, I thought this was a recent tread, but it looks like it's a year old. Still it's about wonky steering wheel controls, so I guess it's the right place.

I noticed recently that my Slacker favorites have been disappearing. Today I found out why.

When I press the right thumb wheel to go to the next favorite, it deletes the current favorite before moving to the next.

Is that happening for anyone else?

Edit: Sorry, I thought this was a recent tread, but it looks like it's a year old. Still it's about wonky steering wheel controls, so I guess it's the right place.

I'm pretty sure the intended functionality of the right scroll wheel press is to toggle the favorite status. If something isn't a favorite, it will make it so. If it is, it will remove the favorite. As a side effect, it also detunes the Slacker station and advances to the next favorite station on the list. I hate this feature and really think it should be pause/play, which would be more often useful to me.

I'm pretty sure the intended functionality of the right scroll wheel press is to toggle the favorite status. If something isn't a favorite, it will make it so. If it is, it will remove the favorite. As a side effect, it also detunes the Slacker station and advances to the next favorite station on the list. I hate this feature and really think it should be pause/play, which would be more often useful to me.

Put me down for hating this new feature. Hunting down the station/song and "re-favoriting" it can be a pain in the tailpipe.

Nick Howe, "News From The Frunk" devoted an episode of his video blog to this, explaining how the Favorites were being deleted.... probably worth your time to check that episode out.

The 5.9 upgrade deleted all my favourites. Never happened before; hasn't happened since. Of course, favourites are useless now because they don't shuffle or repeat.