Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla taking off in BC, Canada!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I drove through Vancouver and up to Whistler. I saw no fewer than FOUR Model S's on the street during the trip. That is by far the most sightings I have had in one day.

I was also at the Vancouver Service Centre last Friday and the place was buzzing! The parking lot was STUFFED with cars, some service work but many waiting for delivery. Ownership Advisor Robin Petersen told me that they are busy as they can manage with test drives, deliveries, etc.

As the owner of BC's first Model S (and first Roadster), this is really exciting! :love:

Today I drove through Vancouver and up to Whistler. I saw no fewer than FOUR Model S's on the street during the trip. That is by far the most sightings I have had in one day.

I was also at the Vancouver Service Centre last Friday and the place was buzzing! The parking lot was STUFFED with cars, some service work but many waiting for delivery. Ownership Advisor Robin Petersen told me that they are busy as they can manage with test drives, deliveries, etc.

As the owner of BC's first Model S (and first Roadster), this is really exciting! :love:

Cool, great to hear!!

Hey Vger :)

You're like Panasonic - slightly ahead of our time.

When did you get your Roadster and how's the battery capacity holding out? I would think our temperate climate is good for the longevity of these batteries.

We got our Roadster in May of 2010, and the car was actually "born" earlier, so close to exactly four years ago. The battery has held up very well, despite a few adventures that resulted in a near-zero SOC. I just checked the CAC value a few days ago, and it was 146.78. I have heard that most are around 147.0 when new, so I would say we are doing quite well indeed!

- - - Updated - - -

I have always been a fairly rabid early adopter. My brother and I built an Altair 8800 hobby PC, the first commercially available microprocessor-based PC, in 1975. When we first built it from the kit, it had 256 BYTES of RAM-- not kilobytes or megabytes, bytes! I also had one of the first few thousand original Macs in 1984. :wink:

I picked up my car today and they are doing 4 or 5 deliveries every day. They said they did FIFTY test drives on Saturday. Sounds high to me, but they must have more staff doing the drives now. Hopefully most new owners are getting the HPWC installed so that I can still access the public chargers in Van city this summer!

Early adopter with a Sig Red Model S, hmm? Did you happen to be driving your Model S through downtown Vancouver, crossing Davie St in the early evening of Tuesday July 9th 2013? (A Sig Red in Vancouver is the one and only Model S I've seen, unless I mistook a Maserati or something :p).

Early adopter with a Sig Red Model S, hmm? Did you happen to be driving your Model S through downtown Vancouver, crossing Davie St in the early evening of Tuesday July 9th 2013? (A Sig Red in Vancouver is the one and only Model S I've seen, unless I mistook a Maserati or something :p).

There's at least a couple of Sig Red's in Vancouver. The first one I ever saw in the wild was late December 2012. I followed it from Burrard to UBC trying to give the guy a thumbs up, but he was too enamoured with the touch screen. Before I left Vancouver, I'd say I would see at least 1-2 unique MS' per day. They have also been running a number of driving events in the past year.

Any word on when the new Robson location opens? Didn't somebody recently a picture of the side fo the store with the "Coming Soon" decals on the doors?

Side note for Vger: An old roommate of mine worked for a Startup whose owner claims he has the second MS in BC, and that Willy Mitchell has the first. Hearsay to be sure, but I'm wondering if you can shed any light on the order of operations for the initial deliveries back in December 2012?

Hey Vger, may I ask how many kms you have on your Roadster?

I have a CAC of 147.20 with 70,007 kms on my Roadster (just installed mark's great OVMS a couple of weeks ago, so I now know my vehicle's CAC)...just wondering how that stacks up with yours...

We got our Roadster in May of 2010, and the car was actually "born" earlier, so close to exactly four years ago. The battery has held up very well, despite a few adventures that resulted in a near-zero SOC. I just checked the CAC value a few days ago, and it was 146.78. I have heard that most are around 147.0 when new, so I would say we are doing quite well indeed!

- - - Updated - - -

I have always been a fairly rabid early adopter. My brother and I built an Altair 8800 hobby PC, the first commercially available microprocessor-based PC, in 1975. When we first built it from the kit, it had 256 BYTES of RAM-- not kilobytes or megabytes, bytes! I also had one of the first few thousand original Macs in 1984. :wink:

Last edited:
Still, we pale in comparison to Oslo, Norway...

Tesla Motors Drammen - march 27th 7:30am - YouTube

It's my understanding that there are enormous amounts of tax to import vehicles into Norway. My sister bought an Acura MDX from a man who was moving back to Norway and said that it would cost him at least three times as much to buy the same vehicle there. It seems that the Model S (maybe all EVs?) have very significant reductions or exemptions from these fees. What a great opportunity for Tesla.

Tax Exemptions in Norway Cut Tesla Model S Price in Half | Inside EVs

Norways $134,000 tax savings for Tesla Model S are out of this world

Elon in Oslo.
Elon Musk in Oslo 01.02.2014 - YouTube

I drove back and forth from Whistler last week on holiday (in an ice - yech!) and looked for any signs of supercharger construction in Squamish - didn't see any.

Squamish is currently held hostage waiting on its permit.

The first one I ever saw in the wild was late December 2012. I followed it from Burrard to UBC trying to give the guy a thumbs up, but he was too enamored with the touch screen.

You know, he probably had the rear-view camera up and was wondering if he was being followed... :wink:

I checked my calendar, and YES we were driving in Vancouver that evening. We were headed to a performance of Hamlet at Bard on the Beach, with our goddaughter. :smile:

Actually, though, there are at least 10 Signature Red cars in the Vancouver area, AFAIK. I remember the day we picked ours up, there were quite a few waiting in the parking lot.

- - - Updated - - -

We had 30 cars driving through downtown and up to Horseshoe Bay yesterday. It was quite a sight.

I wish I could have joined you! However, I was racing my third EV, my electric-motored sailboat.
Velica Classic Form.jpg
Velica Electric Drivetrain.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Vger, may I ask how many kms you have on your Roadster?

I have a CAC of 147.20 with 70,007 kms on my Roadster (just installed mark's great OVMS a couple of weeks ago, so I now know my vehicle's CAC)...just wondering how that stacks up with yours...

I have about 35k kms on her (CAC 146.78), so I guess you are doing very well indeed!

- - - Updated - - -

Side note for Vger: An old roommate of mine worked for a Startup whose owner claims he has the second MS in BC, and that Willy Mitchell has the first. Hearsay to be sure, but I'm wondering if you can shed any light on the order of operations for the initial deliveries back in December 2012?

Well, I have the #2 VIN in all of Canada (S02001), and the first VIN is in Ontario, I was told. On the very first pickup day at the service centre, we arrived at 8:45 in the morning before they were even ready to deliver anything. They kept us waiting for perhaps an hour (which we did not really mind, we were so excited). I am quite sure that in addition to the VIN placement, we were the first car delivered in western Canada. Another guy arrived while we were waiting, but I do not recall his name.

DougG has the honour of getting the first delivery in all of Canada. We joked about it at the time; he beat me due to the time difference. :wink: