Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla won't play French songs - sort of

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just noticed this today - I had downloaded several songs from iTunes to a memory stick and was playing them in the car, but noticed two were missing. Brought the memory stick back inside, plugged into computer, and there they were. Played fine on computer, but seemingly invisible when in the car.

I noticed that each song was French, and had an accented é in the title (Fauré, and Sa Nuit D'Été).

I just renamed them on the desktop to Faure and Sa Nuit D'Ete (no accents) and then tried them in the car again and Voilà! - they reappeared.

Anyone else notice this bug?

You should hear how the navigation system mangles French road names. I end up chuckling every time I use it in Quebec.

(That said, it's actually better than my Garmin... it mangles French road names so badly I can't understand it half the time.)

This seems to be an issue with any music with special (read: non-standard English) characters in the name. It actually manifested itself for me in just the last few software updates.

I have emailed on this topic yet but have not yet heard a response.

This seems to be an issue with any music with special (read: non-standard English) characters in the name. It actually manifested itself for me in just the last few software updates.

I have emailed on this topic yet but have not yet heard a response.

Yes, being from Quebec, my music collection has a significant portion from local artists, which often includes accentuated characters in either the file or directory names. These are simply ignored and not shown in the UI.
It seems toe be related to the filesystem, since the same accentuated characters in the mp3 metadata displays fine, while playing.

I had to do a big manual rename job to get back all my music....

Am I the only one who thinks that the first Software Defined Car (SDC, just defined the term) should have an online issues tracking system, accessible to owners, like any good software product.
We could then vote on which issues you want fixed first : accentuated characters or raising the suspension ... :)