Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Motors President sees self-driving cars by 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering GM's poor record of safety and disclosure, if I ever have a self-driving car, I sure as hell hope it's not made by GM.
There will be an autonomous car well before 2020. It will be someone else before GM.

tesla hasn't done anything in this space. talked about it sure, but hasn't shown anything
Tesla is doing a lot in this space.

I drove in a 100% autonomous car Saturday. If you're excited about this space and you're a Tesla fan, well, just wait. I'll leave it at that :wink:

Just met an engineer who drove coast to coast from Hopkins to join the TM Autopilot project in his personal Model S.

Very nice guy. Didn't want to reveal anything, but we had a nice talk about Google's program.

He's on twitter Charging West (ChargingWest) on Twitter

- - - Updated - - -

There will be an autonomous car well before 2020. It will be someone else before GM.

Tesla is doing a lot in this space.

I drove in a 100% autonomous car Saturday. If you're excited about this space and you're a Tesla fan, well, just wait. I'll leave it at that :wink:

Please tell us what you can that doesn't breach confidence.

Auto-pilot has its time and place in my opinion. When cruising on the interstate with little or predictable traffic, I'd rather enjoy the scenery than have to deal with boring driving. Within the city limits, you'd have to pry the steering wheel and the pedals from my cold dead hands and right foot.

It's just the relentless march of technology without which this car itself wouldn't have seen the light of day.

Self-drive will be an enormous boon for those senior citizens who are no longer able to drive. It's quite a huge loss of independence when you can no longer drive a car.

On the other hand, I'm sure that self-driving will in due course be so much safer than human-driven that insurance companies will be pushing hard to enforce driverless.