Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Martin Eberhard: How blogs helped build the Tesla Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those early blogs sure stirred the imagination and got Tesla noticed in a big way. There was really no advertising budget, right? It was just blogs to start the word spreading, and then the first year model got pre-sold out right away.
Actually it was rather shocking that Tesla was able to get so many deposits considering the substantial amount that had to be put down, and the fact that the company had no track record. I think the blogs gave customers the connection they needed to feel like this was real. There was certainly no shortage of other EV companies who failed to deliver and would have made it all that much harder for Tesla to seem credible.

I miss those early blogs - it was really fun to watch something grow like that and to hear about the accomplishments and challenges along the way.

Nice to see (and not surprising) to see Martin so self aware. Many who have found out about Tesla later can't understand the loyalty he built up for the company only to have that loyalty split between the man and his car -now being raised by a stepfather.

I just said in ABG about how I think sales of the car with Martin at the helm would be even greater than now because he spent time doing visible things in interesting ways all in the name of Electric transportation and crafting Tesla's image. The press loved have a face to the car and the company. Again, Elon's ego was probably smoldering every time Martin was quoted in the mainstream press. The entire automotive world is changing because of Martin's idea and Elon does not seem to be satisfied with being the man smart enough to fund the company, he also wants the credit for the idea.

Martin's has largely stopped writing in his own blog but when he does it's usually something useful and funny. A winning combination in a world populated by boring nerds.

TEG was one of those "key bloggers" as evidenced by him getting the first drive in a Roadster. Talk about creating loyalty.

Evolution of the TM Blog (or, "How to Kill a Blog in 4 Easy Steps")

As a social scientist, one of the most interesting things about the TM Blog is how it evolved over time. If I ever get the chance to compose it, the TM Blog would make an interesting case study. As I see it, there were four main phases:
- Introduction: This seemed to last a few months. Early posts were very informative, and encouraged participation. Excitement was high, and many posts were information-seeking.
- Growth/Golden Age: This seemed to last about a year. Growth in participation was fairly pronounced, with quite a few repeat-posters--but with relatively even participation (between old and new posters). Top management was engaged, even to the point of responding to posts--no matter how inflammatory they may have been. Somewhere towards the end of this phase, on-line e-zines and paper-bases magazines began picking up newsworthy information off the Blog, feeding a hungry secondary market for the information.
- Transition/Decline: As Blog responsibilities moved off the CEOs desk to the marketing department, the flavor began to change. Still a good source of news and events, the frequency of new posts and replies began to drop off somewhat. The marketing flavor was noticeable in the choice of topics (such as the posts outlining the initial test drives of early purchasers)--not necessarily a bad thing. Participation began to wane, and early heavy posters began to disappear, although of those that remained, there was a certain amount of territorial tendency--chastising new/ignorant posters for asking questions that had been asked a thousand times before (like the idea of mounting a solar panel on the chassis or adding a "windmill"). New posters arrived to take their place, but the sense of community on the site started to wane somewhat. Competitors arose (such as this site and ME's site), and began to siphon off the original regular participants.
- Death: Almost all of the initial regular posters are gone (perhaps still reading, but no longer willing to participate). The company message is now firmly being pressed, with little or no response from the online community (most recent post before EMs has 6 responses to date--4 from old posters, and 2 new). No new information on the Blogs (most new information preceded with a press release).

As a social scientist, one of the most interesting things about the TM Blog is how it evolved over time. If I ever get the chance to compose it, the TM Blog would make an interesting case study. As I see it, there were four main phases:

DAL,

Nice breakdown. Where did the one page blog to 4 pages happen for you? Was that the Marketing moment?
They first had clever names for them and then did rollover explanations then dropped all the showy bits.

Also it would be good to note when Tesla went though the huge layoff. That had to affect the tone coming from the employee postings.

For me, there was no "jump the shark" moment, just a slow realization that the "engineering" posts were being replaced with "marketing" and "leadership" (thinly veiled marketing) posts.

I wonder if it felt the same for the early participants--many of whom had strong feelings about BEV technology or environmental concerns. Looking back recently, these posts are disappearing or gone entirely (save the occasional "yay, Tesla, stick it to OPEC" one-time posters).

Of course, another blow to the Blog was when ME left the firm. The loss of his presence in replying to Blog posts was immediately apparent. Darryl Siry tried to maintain this, but honestly it felt like he was doing his job moreso than advancing the debate. (In all fairness, he was in no position to be as effective as a CEO or senior manager would be.)

Finally, perhaps as a result of the layoffs or internal power struggles, the frequency of new threads dropped off (from once a week or every two weeks to once a month or every other month). Its just a theory, but perhaps frequency is a key component of Blog success (with another key being customer control of content--something that the TM Blog never adequately tapped into).

For me, the moment was when some of my posts were moderated and never actually posted. I wouldn't even say it was controversial stuff. In the early days it was the "halibut filter" and contact information removed, but otherwise I think they let any comments go online. Later things started to be moderated/censored/controlled or whatever you want to call it. Even things that did end up online could take days from posting to when they actually showed up.

Over time I started running out of things to say anyways.

I gather the TM blogs were not to everyone's liking.
DSiry mentioned this article:
Wired 15.04: The See-Through CEO
which goes into some pitfalls of the CEO blog.

I can relate to the comment about a "treadmill you can't get off".

If you say enough, even if it is 99% good, there is still 1% that may come back to haunt you later.

Even things that did end up online could take days from posting to when they actually showed up.
When the relevance is totally lost out of context.

Over time I started running out of things to say anyways.
Well that's because the blogging stopped being fresh, then stopped.

I gather the TM blogs were not to everyone's liking.
If your CEO is too popular...

DSiry mentioned this article:
Wired 15.04: The See-Through CEO
which goes into some pitfalls of the CEO blog....
Great article. I thoroughly ate it up.

Article quotes:
The people who clearly enjoy writing and blogging are like CEOs 2.0 - they have competitive advantage over other CEOs."
That's Martin.

It's not secrets that are dying, as one reader named gjudd noted, but lies.
Good line!

This quote:
Nearly everyone I spoke to had a warning for would-be transparent CEOs: You can't go halfway naked. It's all or nothing. Executives who promise they'll be open have to stay open. The minute they become evasive about troubling news, transparency's implied social compact crumbles.
Reminds me of Obama not publishing the torture pictures. Tough tough call.

Which illustrates an interesting aspect of the Inter net age: Google is not a search engine. Google is a reputation-management system. And that's one of the most powerful reasons so many CEOs have become more transparent: Online, your rep is quantifiable, findable, and totally unavoidable. In other words, radical transparency is a double-edged sword, but once you know the new rules, you can use it to control your image in ways you never could before.
Explains the current lawsuit.

One bad blog post can kill you. But if you've got hundreds or thousands of sites linking to you and commenting on you, the law of averages takes over, and odds are the opinion will be accurate: The cranks will be outweighed by cooler heads.
Reminds me of KB and why he never comes here though he surely knows of us, it's not about him, it's about his agenda.

There's no going back, yet many young CEOs worry that they're on a treadmill: Once they've started blogging, they can't stop, and that takes valuable time away from running their businesses
The very act of blogging is building the business. For good or bad, it's the new paradigm. Blogging has been added to the CEO's daily "To Do" list.

Last edited: