Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any idea what could've happened here?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I waived my two week confirmation period on 3/9, and live about fifty minutes away from the Fremont factory. My original pickup date was 4/15, but Tesla called me and said the date was rescheduled to 3/29 (I had no influence on this decision). My question it this: I got a S85, and it seems the average length of time it takes to get one is at least five or six weeks. How come I will get mine in three? I'm not complaining :p, but I'm just curious. OHHH GOD TOO EXCITTTEEDDDDD

Seriously, it's like it's a disorder. Everything you think about or say ends up being about the your upcoming Tesla. TAD. Tesla Anticipation Disorder. Yeah, I like that.

oops, just derailed. SEE WHAT I MEAN?!?!?!

I waived my two week confirmation period on 3/9, and live about fifty minutes away from the Fremont factory. My original pickup date was 4/15, but Tesla called me and said the date was rescheduled to 3/29 (I had no influence on this decision). My question it this: I got a S85, and it seems the average length of time it takes to get one is at least five or six weeks. How come I will get mine in three? I'm not complaining :p, but I'm just curious. OHHH GOD TOO EXCITTTEEDDDDD

Seriously, it's like it's a disorder. Everything you think about or say ends up being about the your upcoming Tesla. TAD. Tesla Anticipation Disorder. Yeah, I like that.

Sounds to me like that will be Wheelie nice!:rolleyes:

Some possible scenarios:
- There's currently a supply issue with other components so they've deferred production of a different batch.
- An order got canceled or changed and it freed up a space in an earlier batch for you.
- Somebody rejected a car and they're going to try to and fob it off on you in the hope that in your excitement you'll not notice the problems.
- Elon Musk whimsically said "I like that Wheelie, build his S85 now!"
- It's end of quarter and they decided to add some quick CA sales to bump the sales figures.

I waived my two week confirmation period on 3/9, and live about fifty minutes away from the Fremont factory. My original pickup date was 4/15, but Tesla called me and said the date was rescheduled to 3/29 (I had no influence on this decision). My question it this: I got a S85, and it seems the average length of time it takes to get one is at least five or six weeks. How come I will get mine in three? I'm not complaining :p, but I'm just curious.

Are you doing a factory delivery?

...Seriously, it's like it's a disorder. Everything you think about or say ends up being about the your upcoming Tesla. TAD. Tesla Anticipation Disorder. Yeah, I like that....
Fortunately, TAD will transform into the far more long-lasting TAIID (Tesla Always In Use Disorder) (High Use doesn't come close to describing the actual number of repetitions, and creates a bad-sounding acronym), with the level of emotional disruption the same or higher (some call it "joy") and only the stress level reducing to near zero.

[EDIT: pay no attention to the mismatched initials. Or change the second I to a U - your choice!]

Last edited:

Fortunately, TAD will transform into the far more long-lasting TAIID (Tesla Always In Use Disorder) (High Use doesn't come close to describing the actual number of repetitions, and creates a bad-sounding acronym), with the level of emotional disruption the same or higher (some call it "joy") and only the stress level reducing to near zero.
So is what I've heard. I think TAD is partially anticipation for the onset of TAIID (TAIUD?).

I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum (but I'm also on the east coast). It will be about 9 weeks for me, more in line with the norm of a 2 month wait for an S85. Tesla has been great while I wait, but still can't wait to get behind the wheel!

I'm doing a factory pickup, if that's what you mean.

Tesla accelerated factory deliveries (factory pickups) of Model S near the end of Q2 2013, Q3 2013, and Q4 2013. The fact that they are doing it again for Q1 2014 is consistent. I had the same thing happen to me in June 2013, my factory delivery that was originally scheduled for July got moved up to late June. I'll bet there will be dozens of factory deliveries in the last days of this month.

Are you doing a factory tour also? I enjoyed my tour of the plant.

Tesla accelerated factory deliveries (factory pickups) of Model S near the end of Q2 2013, Q3 2013, and Q4 2013. The fact that they are doing it again for Q1 2014 is consistent. I had the same thing happen to me in June 2013, my factory delivery that was originally scheduled for July got moved up to late June. I'll bet there will be dozens of factory deliveries in the last days of this month.

Are you doing a factory tour also? I enjoyed my tour of the plant.
Oh, that makes sense. I am doing the factory tour; in fact, I'm almost looking forward to that as much as I'm looking forward to getting the car. Thanks for the info. :)

Oh, that makes sense. I am doing the factory tour; in fact, I'm almost looking forward to that as much as I'm looking forward to getting the car. Thanks for the info. :)

Congrats! I'll look for you in the neighborhood :) What's your config btw?

Yes, it's surely the end-of-the-quarter push. 03/29 is Saturday so, given the push, hopefully, the factory'd be humming at full tilt so that you can enjoy the factory tour; the one I got was relatively tepid as the line was not operating that day.

EDIT: And, oh, do go over the car with a fine-toothed comb at delivery. These end-of-the-quarter pushes can sometimes result in a couple of quality control issues here and there as has been seen in the past. Whatever you find, Tesla will definitely make it right (the Burlingame service center is right in your wheelhouse for that).

Congrats! I'll look for you in the neighborhood :) What's your config btw?

Yes, it's surely the end-of-the-quarter push. 03/29 is Saturday so, given the push, hopefully, the factory'd be humming at full tilt so that you can enjoy the factory tour; the one I got was relatively tepid as the line was not operating that day.

EDIT: And, oh, do go over the car with a fine-toothed comb at delivery. These end-of-the-quarter pushes can sometimes result in a couple of quality control issues here and there as has been seen in the past. Whatever you find, Tesla will definitely make it right (the Burlingame service center is right in your wheelhouse for that).

Thanks for the pointers!!

It's in my signature of this post:
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/