Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No gas makes driving a lot "easy" -- are you concerned about mileage?

How concerned are you about mileage?

• I drive it wherever, whenever. No worries.

Votes: 81 89.0%
  • I try to keep my mileage reasonable

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • I proactively try to keep my mileage low

Votes: 4 4.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Without having to shell out a lot for gas and simply plugging in every night, I've found that it's easy to drive a lot in the car and not think much about it. In my first month, I put almost 2000 miles on the car. High mileage on cars traditionally lowers their resale value. A lot of moving parts and a lot of wear and tear in traditional ICE cars makes mileage a good reason to decrease the car's value over time. With the Tesla and significantly less moving parts and wear and tear, maybe it does not correlate as much. On the other hand, the Tesla's battery range can/will decrease over time. Keeping mileage relatively lower could prolong battery life. Last concern is still the 50k mile warranty.

All of that said... do you ignore the mileage you're putting on your Tesla and rack the miles up, or are you still mindful of it? I'm torn. I'm sure it varies by person.

Last edited:
The low cost of electricity and the fun-to-drive component means I invent reasons to drive places.

I'll drive 20 minutes one way to pick up a soda for my wife in the Model S. :)

When I was a kid, my grandmother and I used to hop in the car and just start driving. At each intersection we would randomly pick a direction. Got to see a lot of Wisconsin countryside that way.

Haven't been able to do that kind of exploring in a long time, but thanks to my Model S, now I can.

39K+ miles and still loving it.

Well, if you are afraid to drive your Model S because the resale value might be marginally lower, that sort of defeats the purpose of having it, at least to a certain extent. I think condition generally trumps mileage, so taking good care of your Tesla by keeping it garaged and clean, inside and out are good ideas. But I am not going to hand wash and detail it every day either.

I would rather enjoy my Model S rather than worry about putting too many miles on it... :)

For the most part I don't worry about it. My plan is for this to be my last car, so resale value doesn't matter to me at all. What does concern me a little is the 50k mile warranty. I've always been in the 20k-25k/year bracket which makes my warranty about 2 years. After the warranty's up though, I'll definitely be doing some touring!

No particular worries, here. IMO, any resale value hit from mileage is going to be dwarfed by being among the early generations of electric cars and by being an expensive car. Resale values on existing EVs are bleak, and high-dollar ICE cars take huge hits. I expect the Model S to fare better, but I'm not expecting much.

And I can easily see that the resale value will largely be dependent on the available range rather than the miles on the odo.

A 100k miles S with 220 miles range is preferable to a 70k miles with 190 miles range.

Not worried about mileage and resale value at all. Find that I am driving about 20-25% more than I used to because it is so easy, so effortless, and so cheap.
Scheduled for my 12k mi service this Thursday (will be at 13k by then) in only 10 months.

Wow, thanks for the overwhelming response with the poll! I really appreciate it. A lot of people take the EV and go-wherever approach. I'm learning that I'm racking up the miles in the car also.

And I can easily see that the resale value will largely be dependent on the available range rather than the miles on the odo.

A 100k miles S with 220 miles range is preferable to a 70k miles with 190 miles range.

This is a good point. I had assumed that two Model S's with the same mileage left in them would have roughly the same amount of rated range left. I'm sure that how many "range charges" used or how often the battery was close to 0 will have an impact on this. I'll have to spend some time over in the battery subforum.

Not worried about mileage and resale value at all. Find that I am driving about 20-25% more than I used to because it is so easy, so effortless, and so cheap.
Scheduled for my 12k mi service this Thursday (will be at 13k by then) in only 10 months.

Driving 100% more than I used to (38,000 in 18 months). Easy, effortless, cheap, yes, but also FUN. Makes you feel good in way too many ways, car is gorgeous. I don't even think about reselling. I may never resell.

Best Car Ever.

I still try to walk or ride bike for short trips whenever possible from the standard energy conservation standpoint. That being said, I drive a lot more in this car and I'm not concerned in the least about resale value or putting high mileage on the car. 15k miles in first year, which is probably the most I've driven in one year.

All of that said... do you ignore the mileage you're putting on your Tesla and rack the miles up, or are you still mindful of it? I'm torn. I'm sure it varies by person.

I am putting more miles on the car than I expected to. This raised my insurance rates (after I notified my insurance company). The overall numbers for me (~8500/year) are still low enough that I'm not worried about anything like the warranty or battery life, though.