Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

European Model S 3G connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if all European Model S's have the same SIM-card and if so, who covers the bill? If Tesla does, that would make for some serious data-roaming charges. There were recently news that Tesla Motors extended the free data provision for 4 more years, but I don't remember if it included EU vehicles? It was also written in the Europe section on TMC that Telefonica is the EU provider, does anyone have more details?

Also, is it possible that if for example you go to a country where the local GSM providers don't have an interconnection agreement with Telefonica (if indeed Telefonica is the provider of choice for all EU vehicles), you won't be able to use internet? And last, can any EU owner confirm the behavior of Google Maps and Navigation when roaming around Europe - connectivity issues, lags etc? Thanks!

This month, large swaths of German Model S were switched to another 3G provider. Some cars lost connectivity during switchover (including mine) and hat to be reconfigured via WLAN connections or tethered to mobile hotspots. The new provider is rumored to be Telekom NL, but we haven't confirmed that yet.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395856874.170709.jpg

This was from my car today, somewhere in NL. IP belongs to a Spanish provider.

I would like to be able to travel to Spain though, so keep those superchargers coming please! :)

This month, large swaths of German Model S were switched to another 3G provider. Some cars lost connectivity during switchover (including mine) and hat to be reconfigured via WLAN connections or tethered to mobile hotspots. The new provider is rumored to be Telekom NL, but we haven't confirmed that yet.

Tesla Pays Telefonica Millions To Power In-Car Wireless In UK, Germany, Spain, Holland | TechCrunch

TechCrunch is reporting that Telefonica is officially the data provider for European Model S's.

Exerpt: "Telefonica says that it will be providing the wireless connectivity for Tesla cars across the UK, Germany, Netherlands and Spain, covering telematics and infotainment services." - No word for the other markets in Europe, such as Italy, France, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria and so on...

Last edited:
I'm in the UK and my car is definitely on a Spanish IP address - annoyingly none of my preferred radio stations will stream on TuneIn due to my territory (they only stream to the UK!). I'm having a complete nightmare getting any support out of Tesla on this. Does anyone have tips on how to get it working perhaps?

Just had it confirmed from Tesla that there is currently no solution for this. ANY web service that is location restriction will see UK Tesla's as being in Spain.
Yes, that's how it currently is.

it means that the BBC only uses their world site, not the UK one, Google.com comes up in Spanish etc.

it surely is a simple configuration change though may require a change to the agreement with Telefonica as he IP address must be handed out by them. Interesting question raised: should the IP address used be that of the country where the car is registered or where it currently is geographically? Personally I'd vote for the former!

i am told that currently French cars come up with a French address, German with German - can anyone confirm please in continental Europe what you are now seeing? Just see what language Google comes up in.

i have now reported this into the US team though I am increasingly coming to the view that it is a European management issue, which needs to be resolved by whoever negotiated the Telefonica deal.

does anyone on this forum know how/where the IP address for a car is allocated? Is it hard coded in the SIM which is installed, or allocated by theTelefònica dhcp system whenever the car comes online?

What is the current situation with mobile internet service in Tesla's outside EU, especially pointing out at some Eastern Europe countries like Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, Ukraine and Bosnia? I do have some different info about service in Serbia lately.. I guess Greece is covered and the service is OK. Any news from Turkey, is there some progress there?