Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top Gear UK - Jeremy Clarkson in an EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A "just the tip" moment for Mr. Clarkson. Admitting the EV is incredible. Realizes something new and better is here.

Next thing you know, he'll be testing the MS and will maintain that the Roadster was an inferior product.

BOOM!

I don't see how he changed his tune at all. He was impressed with and had fun with the car, as he did with the Roadster, and his conclusion is that it doesn't work compared to a gas car. In both cases he has a gas car equivalent to compare to.

The only difference with the Model S is that there is no gas car to compare it to really. You can find approximations in different car lines but no direct comparison car. I would still be surprised if he didn't conclude that the Model S doesn't work just as he has with every EV. I really don't expect him to change his mind. Nor do I care. And saying that, I still like Top Gear and will continue to watch it.

I think he's slowly coming around. With a few Superchargers and a P85+ he might be forced to change his tune on EVs.

Agreed, he's a stubborn petrol head, and a satirical journalist one at that, which is great amusement. Huge market influence behind the comments he makes though.

I think he falls in to that crowd of people that wouldn't ever accept an EV as a muscle car alternative until they've felt instant torque delivery themselves.

I think he falls in to that crowd of people that wouldn't ever accept an EV as a muscle car alternative until they've felt instant torque delivery themselves.

But Clarkson has felt the instant torque and does like it. He's had it with the Roadster and now the Mercedes E-SLS. He still finds them lacking compared to the convenience of a gas car. He is a petrol head that will likely never appreciate an EV. He might begrudgingly accept a hybrid supercar as long as it has a gas engine such as the Porsche 918 and the McLaren P1.

He might begrudgingly accept a hybrid supercar as long as it has a gas engine such as the Porsche 918 and the McLaren P1.

P1 yes, Porsche 918 no. Hammond loves Porsche (which I am sure is why he got to test the 918).
Clarkson not only is a stubborn petrolhead, he is also an absolute patriot when it comes to cars. He would always prefer the British alternative to any foreign car - except for the Morris Marina maybe :wink:

If Tesla was a British company, I absolutely believe that Clarkson would find nothing but praise for Model S - and the infamous Roadster review would never have happened in the form that it has.

P1 yes, Porsche 918 no. Hammond loves Porsche (which I am sure is why he got to test the 918).
Clarkson not only is a stubborn petrolhead, he is also an absolute patriot when it comes to cars. He would always prefer the British alternative to any foreign car - except for the Morris Marina maybe :wink:

If Tesla was a British company, I absolutely believe that Clarkson would find nothing but praise for Model S - and the infamous Roadster review would never have happened in the form that it has.

Good point and I totally agree with you. Clarkson is a patriot and it is hard to hold that against him. It would take something big to get him to change his mind about EVs though.

Good point and I totally agree with you. Clarkson is a patriot and it is hard to hold that against him. It would take something big to get him to change his mind about EVs though.

Well, Model S really IS something big in term of EVs.

<ClarksonMode>But it is build by the Yanks, so it can't be any good. Same goes for anything the Jerries throw on the market...</ClarksonMode> :wink:

I actually don't mind him being a patriot. It makes for some wunderfully funny reviews.