Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pittsburgh hotels with charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am hoping to drive my Roadster to a reunion to be held at South Park. Does anyone know of a hotel nearby with charging? I have not been able to find even a fair option on Plug Share. We will be headed from the south so anything between Washington PA and Pittsburgh I can make work. Thank you.

Local Nissan dealers have been good in that area. I have used the David L Lawrence chargers once, they are right by the Hyatt downtown. Only problem is that regulars are in them all the time. There are chargers at the Carmegie Science center as well, think there is a hotel over there too. I see there is a charger at South Park Mitsubishi, I have charged at the Mitsubishi in Morgantown, they were really friendly, in fact, they moved like 5 cars to unblock the chargers and gushed all over the car for 15 minutes. Lastly, great reviews on plugs share for Adams Solar on plug share, in Lawrence. good luck.

Maybe try calling a few hotels and ask to speak with the operations manager. Explain your situation and what you need. Maybe they can install a NEMA 14-50 or something after you explain you can't stay there unless they do that or a J1772 installation. Also tell them you'll post on various forums about how they accommodated you and your EV charging needs to try and help get them additional business.

Last edited:
If you're considering downtown locations as viable options, then you should definitely consider the Carnegie Mellon "Electric Garage." It's on PlugShare at 4621 Forbes Ave. in Pittsburgh. There are 8 J1772 stations at 30A / 208V each. The lot fills up early during the week, but you might be able to email them to make specific arrangements. I've also left my Model S there overnight once with no problem.

There are hotels pretty close to campus as well, although I'm not aware of any with their own charging capability.

I agree with dsm363, call Hotels and ask about EV charging. Even if they don't have one, if they keep hearing people call and ask for it, they will eventually consider it. I just had this experience at a hotel where I asked and the lady said they are now considering it because so many people ask. Once they realize that the small investment of a charging station will make EV drivers pick their hotel over others they will start putting them in.

I will call good idea. I prefer not to go into the city as I find when driving at the maximum range each 20 miles adds about 90 minutes of time as you have to cover the distance and then charge at the slow public charging stations. So will look for options between South Park and I79.

I used the charger at the David L Lawrence Convention Center when I took a road trip to Pittsburgh last April. The chargers are free but you have to pay to park. The Westin Hotel is immediately adjacent to this garage and I believe uses this garage for their guest parking. We stayed at the William Penn Hotel which was a short walk. There are only 2 J-1772 chargers in the Garage. Also there might be some weird hours of operation issues with the garage. Plug share has "Mon-Fri 5a-11p except for events". I was there on a weekend and the garage was open for a convention center event so it was fine but I called ahead of time and searched on the convention center website to see that there was an event happening. If you think you might stay at the Westin, you might call them and see if Hotel guests can access the charger off hours etc.

The extra charge time driving into the city shouldn't matter too much since you are staying overnight but your call.
Good luck!

I'm not sure of any hotels with dedicated EV charging in the area. As others have mentioned, the best option would probably be the city with hotels within walking distance of a public charging station. If you need a faster charge, I have a 70 amp J1772 you could use, but I am north of the city, about 45 minutes away from South Park. Best of luck.

By the end of this week, the Residence Inn in Cranberry Twp will have six Supercharger Bays! Though that is a bit of a haul from South Park.

The Tesla crew when they visit stay up in Oakland at the Westin University Park, and they walk to the Carnegie Mellon Electric Car Garage.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry Dhrivnak, just saw that you are bringing your Roadster...sorry to rub that in about the Superchargers! Really hoping somehow that is Elon's "Something special for Roadster owners" surprise.