Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Chargers now separate from HPWC on Tesla Website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish this was the case for me when I ordered my car. $1500.00 for the dual chargers now. Not bad

Just remember to look closely if the dual chargers actually would be useful for you. In 12k miles of driving I have never connected to an AC charger offering more than 40A. So around here a CHAdeMO adapter (when it finally is available) might be a better investment.
But in other regions the opposite is true. Lots of 70 and 80A chargers and almost no CHAdeMO.
It all depends on where you are and where you'll be driving.

Just remember to look closely if the dual chargers actually would be useful for you. In 12k miles of driving I have never connected to an AC charger offering more than 40A. So around here a CHAdeMO adapter (when it finally is available) might be a better investment.
But in other regions the opposite is true. Lots of 70 and 80A chargers and almost no CHAdeMO.
It all depends on where you are and where you'll be driving.

And don't forget, just because there are none today in your area doesn't mean there won't ever be any. A lot of early Leaf purchasers in my area didn't get the large charge port because there weren't any around here at the time. Now there are many and they are regretting their decision--some regret it so much that they've traded their Leaf in for a new one. Of course, Tesla is a little better in that you can install the second charger later--but it's a lot more expensive to do so.

There is no one on the way to Nebraska, so I can use that rather than an RV park. Before there were zero.

$1500 is a small price to pay to double your charging rate.

But there need to be >40A chargers avail...

For me, I don't need >40A charging at home (I typically drive no more than 70 miles per day -- so charging takes just over 2 hours each night; even charging from near zero to 100% would take <7 hours at 40A).

I'm also aware of only 2 public chargers in all of AZ that offer >40A (the Tesla Gallery in Scottsdale, and a high-amp J1772 in Picacho Peak ~40 miles north of Tucson) -- neither of which I have used. I can reach Tucson from my house without stopping in Picacho Peak (even in a 60...), and I haven't needed to charge when at Scottsdale Fashion Square...

For road trips, the Supercharger build-out is progressing nicely -- plus its even faster...

I actually called my DS about a week before my car went into production to change my car to just the dual chargers but my DS said my car was on its way to the assembly line as we spoke. I do have a supper charger 5 miles from my house so I do not really need the HPWC at my house. But when I travel I really think I may need it if the supper charger network isn't built out fast enough.

and a high-amp J1772 in Picacho Peak ~40 miles north of Tucson
The 70 amp charger at the Bowlin Travel Center at Picacho Peak was very helpful on my Tucson to San Diego Trip, but that will not be needed once Gila Bend Super charger goes in.

In San Diego, the Service Center has 7 or 8 HPWCs out front that you can use, an I assume other Service centers will be doing that as well. Also, many Tesla Stores will let you charge with their HPWCs. That might com in handy some time.

After delivery: $3600. I don't see how the labor for installing it after delivery costs $2100. Even at $120/hour it can't possibly be a two day job to install a second charger.

Just Thursday night I was talking about this with Tesla's NE Regional Manager (Sales, not Service). He said to add it to a existing car is a lot of work, they literately have to take apart most of the back of the car, including the back seats to get to the area to add the duel charger(s). Many hours of work.

I ordered my S 85 on 09/29/13 (received it Dec 21st) and my purchase order document shows I paid $1500 for dual chargers and $1200 for the HPWC, the same prices shown currently on the Tesla website order page. Those two options are listed separately on my purchase order. I'm unclear on what has changed, exactly.

I ordered my S 85 on 09/29/13 (received it Dec 21st) and my purchase order document shows I paid $1500 for dual chargers and $1200 for the HPWC, the same prices shown currently on the Tesla website order page. Those two options are listed separately on my purchase order. I'm unclear on what has changed, exactly.

For a while you could only purchase them together.

The dual chargers are great, seems like they should just be standard. if true, this is good news that they have un-bundled them! you don't need them until you really need them, and then it's too late or very expensive. J1772 protocol allows for up to 80A/20kW charging. it may take a while for some parts of the country to get them, but I bet they will be the charger of choice down the line as higher amperage chargers in cars become more common. they are common enough on the west coast that they have been very valuable for us.

I changed my configuration after finalizing to add the dual chargers back when I ordered my car. Rationale was I'd rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them. Ended up delaying the delivery of my car for a few weeks. 13,000 miles in and it's been a wasted purchase - haven't used / needed them once. Until or unless that changes, I'd have nene better off investing that money in TSLA stock.

To each is own. I've used my second charger many times at this point. My TOU super off peak window is only 4 hours long. 80A charging allows me to fully charge in that window even if I've run the battery down fairly low. It's also saved my bacon twice when my schedule changed midday and I needed to go from 70% to 100% quickly.

I've also charged on public HPWCs.

Okay, so now you ca order them separately meaning you could buy an HPWC but without the second charger you could only charge at 40 amps, or, if you bought e second charger and not an HPWC you could use a high powered AC charging standard like...what?

Some J1772 stations are 70 amps. HPWCs at stores and other destinations may or may not be 80 amps, but if they are it might be nice to take advantage.

Having a HPWC at my house is total overkill, especially since I can charge at work, too. But given how much the vehicle side refit costs, it would have been nice to be able to order the double chargers separately (which you can now do).

Originally (early ordering), they were offered as separate options. When I ordered our last Model S, they were bundled but a Tesla guy said they could adjust the order to remove the HPWC since my wife and I were just going to share the one I already have installed in our garage at home. I ended up getting the extra one just to have it for a future use.

After delivery: $3600. I don't see how the labor for installing it after delivery costs $2100. Even at $120/hour it can't possibly be a two day job to install a second charger.

I just had the Dual Chargers Retrofitted to my car after my road trip to Niagara Falls, where having the dual charger and being able to get a almost complete charge while eating breakfast would have completely changed how the trip panned out.
After seeing what they must REMOVE from the car to GET TO the chargers, and then, My Main charger failed due to the firmware flash that would allow it to communicate with the second charger bricking it, and how much EXTRA work went into it, the price they want for a Retrofit is well, Fitting. Little steep, yes, but outrageous, not for the hours they spent on my car.
Oh, BTW, they did have to replace my Master charger with a new one. I'm sure the original will be refurbished and used for warranty replacement, but still, that is extra money that wouldn't have otherwise been spent.