Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax Credit Form for 2014 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, 8936 is the form. I E-filed my return yesterday claiming the credit (as well as a roof-top solar array). Curios if it goes through right away or if the IRS will come back demanding more info. First time in 20 years I'm expecting a refund.

E-filed returns are only software verified at the IRS. If there are no clerical or mathematical errors then the return is accepted. Clerical errors or omissions of important field data, or a duplicate filing using your SSN will result in rejection of the e*file. But the software should generate diagnostics to tell you to fix certain things before hitting"send." Acceptance of e*filed returns has absolutely no bearing on audit potential. Your refund will sail through and be directly deposited into your bank account in about 2 weeks; a paper check adds about a week.

Every tax return is summarized and scored by the IRS. If all the income and deductions can be matched by payors of wages (W-2), interest and dividends (1099) recipients of mortgage interest (1098) then it is likely that no human will even look at your return as the computer can do the matching and spit out a bill if you have omitted income or overstated your mortgage interest.

All other returns do get a cursory review by an examiner to determine audit potential, using the summary and "DIF" score generated on your return. A Tesla buyer with $60,000 of adjusted gross income from a Schedule C business and a Schedule E loss might get more scrutiny than a buyer with $200,000 of income mostly from wages and capital gains.

And since we report the VIN on the 8936, I am confident that the IRS computer has been programmed to scan for duplicate VINs and to know the VIN configuration unique to Tesla.