Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any stolen Teslas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife steals mine all the time. Twice I've been at a restaurant and she happened to be in the area and left me with her Highlander hybrid. The app is a curse and a blessing. As is that extra key.

Her all time best was a beautiful spring day when I'd taken the train in to work due to the President being in NYC (traffic hell). She went to the station, took the car and had a grand old time all day, then returned it to my spot with a rated range of something like 70 miles. She thought it was hilarious, and I had to agree.

Her Model X can't get here soon enough!!

Reactions: Ashkenaz
Not surprisingly, the only reported cases of thefts of Teslas involved the key being stolen first. It's unlikely we'll see one stolen without the key any time soon as there is no ignition to "hotwire." Like many modern luxury cars, the ECU won't start without the coded key present.

Short of someone hacking the key authentication protocol or reverse engineering the local car network and exploiting a vulnerability in the drive computer, the car is essentially un-stealable (*) without the key. Anyone good enough to do either of those things can likely already afford one through legitimate employment. :)

(*) someone could tow one away and chop shop it, but it would probably be hard to part it out without leaving a trace.

• Funny
Reactions: Lu Ann
Can anyone read Dutch?

Model S gestolen
I can!

That Model S was stolen in Amsterdam by somebody who broke into his house and stole the keyfob. The police tracked him down very quickly and the owner could obviously see the car on his App. The only damage was a can of cola spilled on the passenger seat.

There was a short rumor of a stolen Model S in the Netherlands without a keyfob, but that turned out to be a Model S towed away for not being plugged in to a charging station.

Then there is this story: My S was stolen | Forums | Tesla Motors

I'm not aware of any Model S being stolen without a keyfob and not being found again.

But what's the value of a stolen Model S? It's almost useless without a 3G connection and as soon as it's connected to 3G Tesla can locate it and presumably block it remotely.

Can we somehow make sure that USAA, Geico, Allstate &c read this thread? It definitely​ falls under Required Reading 101 for them....

That's a good point. If nothing else though, over time the lack of reported thefts should help keep rates down.

You can, and should, inform your insurance company that your car has a "location tracking and theft recovery device." That should be good for a discount on your premium.

It seems to me this angle hasn't been covered adequately by the media when reviewing Model S: it's just another of Tesla's strengths that the car is nearly immune to grand theft auto. Is there another car out there that can claim to be better in this regard?

My wife steals mine all the time. Twice I've been at a restaurant and she happened to be in the area and left me with her Highlander hybrid. The app is a curse and a blessing. As is that extra key.

Her all time best was a beautiful spring day when I'd taken the train in to work due to the President being in NYC (traffic hell). She went to the station, took the car and had a grand old time all day, then returned it to my spot with a rated range of something like 70 miles. She thought it was hilarious, and I had to agree.

Her Model X can't get here soon enough!!

Your wife rules!