Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automotion Weekend Wisconsin Dells 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EDIT FOR FINALIZED INFO: PARTY IS TOMORROW!!! So, I have the FINAL Itinerary!
11:00AM - 12:30ish Supercharger Meetup at Mauston Supercharger (initial meet and greet, take as long as needed)
12:30ish to-2:30ish Leave Supercharger and make our way to the R&GN Railroad ( RIVERSIDE & GREAT NORTHERN RAILROAD). Trains leave every hour on the hour, so we will most likely get to ride on the 2pm train. Ride is about 35 minutes.
3:15pm Leave the trains, Do a circuit around the Dells to show of our Tesla Might!
After the ride, meet back at Sandrift Resort, Sandrift Resort - The Peach on the Beach in Wisconsin Dells, WI 1080 E Hiawatha Drive, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965 for
BBQ!
Questions or other last minute stuff, CALL ME 414-852-7526

We already have 1 Tesla Here other then mine, more arriving tomorrow, and a bunch of non-tesla owners from out of state have arrived.

{EDIT FOR CONFIRMED INFORMATION] Date: May 17, At 11AM. Place, Sandrift Resort - The Peach on the Beach in Wisconsin Dells, WI in Wisconsin Dells, WI. Whats happening: Supercharger Meetup in the morning at Mauston Supercharger 20 miles North of the Dells for top off's, due to the number of cars.
First, we will meet at the Sandrift and allow everyone to meet and allow the stragglers to arrive. From their, we will be going to the Riverside & Great Northern Railway about 4 miles from the Sandrift. Their, we will be taking a senic train ride through the forest on a 15" gauge Steam Locomotive (sometimes they run the Diesel instead, though usually the Steamer).
After train ride, we can cruise around the Dells. I hope we can MOB the dells with a "Tesla" Parade :) I have a nice route we can take through the Dells to show off. Remember, this is Automotion weekend, and every year, make and model of car imaginable will be in the Dells area.
Next, BBQ at the Sandrift, includes Burgers and Hot dog's. If your a Veggie eater, please bring your own bocca burgers or veggie dogs, I will be more then happy to cook them for you.
During BBQ, everyone can make use of the Row-Boats, Paddle Boats, and Canoes, Sandy Beach, Volleyball, Jungle Gym for the kids, Ping Pong, some other lawn games, and a Campfire will be going.

No charge for BBQ, however, each person will be responsible for their own Train Ticket. I called my friends at the R&GN, and will be working out a Group Discount.
Their are just a few rooms left (As of this update, about 5) at the Sandrift for those wishing to stay overnight. Please call Sandrift to make reservations ASAP! Rooms are going fast!

No Rain day, the Festivities will go on Rain or Shine! We just might move the "BBQ" to a restaurant instead.

Those staying until Sunday, Sunday's activities will be to Mob the Automotion Car show. We need to show those ICE Stinkers WHO IS BOSS!

Questions, or to RSVP, please message me, email me at [email protected] and include name and phone number, or Call me at 414-852-7526

RSVP's NEEDED ASAP!

P.S. This Get-Together has caught the attention of a number of news outlets (I think they are stalking me!), so lets make this thing BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG!!!! We only have ~50 Tesla's in Wisconsin, but lets make our presence heard! AND SHARE THIS EVENT WITH ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY INTERESTED!!!!! EVERYONE IS WELCOME! Weather you own a Tesla, or are interested in EV's in general! ALL EV's ARE WELCOME AS WELL! Leaf Owners, Mitsubishi I owners, Focus Owners etc... If it's EV, It's also welcome!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the BIG one, I don't have a exact date, as I am trying to work out a date
where as many people as possible can attend.
Would like to do it in May or June.
Here is what I have: Big meet at the Mauston Supercharger, so travelers can get a
good portion topped off quickly. After that, we head over to the Sandrift Resort in
Wisconsin Dells (20 miles south of Mauston Supercharger). There, we will have a big
Bar-Be-Que. On top of that, as Sandrift is on Lake Delton, their is a Sandy Beach,
Rowboats, paddle boats and canoes, sand volleyball, piers for fishing, jungle gym
for the little ones (And of course, the Trunk Midgets will be their), and swimming.
Following the BBQ, we will head over to the Riverside & Great Northern Railway,
which is a 15" gauge railway (Think Zoo Train size), where we will have a semi-
private trip through the beautiful forest while being pulled by a Genuine Steam
Locomotive driven by my friend Bernie. This is a great experience for both adults
and children!
Following that, I was thinking of having some REAL fun Flash Mob-ing Downtown
Dells with Tesla's :)
After that, return to the Sandrift to enjoy Marshmallows & Campfire.
At that point, we can part ways, or for those staying in the Dells overnight,

either at the Sandrift or Not, the next day we can go to Mt. Olympus. I have a
virtually unlimited supply of Mt. Olympus Water park passes.
Now, dates... A few ideas: First, The Dells big car show weekend, Auto-Motion, is
a idea, however, the dells will be extraordinarily crowded that weekend. If you
want to come to the Dells that weekend regardless, let me know and we can have some
fun. This weekend is: May 17-18th. Id really like this weekend, as #1, show off to
all the other cars (Old and New) who's boss :) #2, the Sandrift is fairly empty
that weekend, so we will have the run of it for our BBQ, #3 if anyone wants to stay
in the dells overnight, lots of space available. We can modify the things to do as
well. I have discounts and coupons for everything. Weather is usually always fairly
warm during Automotion weekend as well.
So give me some feedback on the day and events for the Dells. I am really going to
try and make this a royal blast! And BTW, the Sandrift will have a 40 amp and a 80
amp HPWC up and running by the time the BBQ comes along. (I will be installing them
once the remainder of the snow thaws and I can have a fairly mild temperature
weekend to work outside at the resort).
The BBQ will be no charge, all food and fun is being sponsered by the Sandrift
Resort. The train ride does cost money, well worth it. I think I have coupons as
well. I will talk to my friends their, to see if they can do a big group discount
if we get enough people to come. It is a 100% Volunteer run Historic Railroad
Preservation Society.
Email me back, or you can call me at 414-852-7526. Lets get some RSVP's going!.
And more info can be found on the Sandrift at Sandrift Resort - The Peach on the Beach in Wisconsin Dells, WI

Last edited:
Sounds like fun. Would take some planning though, as I'm still basically land locked in Cincinnati.
Mapped it for ya :) Cincinnati, OH to Sandrift Resort - Google Maps

I could do the drive in my MS60 with about a 1 hr stop in between Cincinnati and Maumee. It's 200 miles, so I would need to stop for some buffer, though, being summer time, maybe not if I felt dangerous (well, tried that once, I think I would just stop), but given you have a 85kW pack, the drive would be absolutely no problem :)

I wouldn't say your land locked at all ^_^

Yep, that's what I'm aiming for :)
Looking at dates for water parks, apparently they open Memorial Day Weekend. So Mt Olympus will be ruled out. Though, LOT of other stuff to do. At least the last 3 years, have been insanely hot during the car show weekend. Many were swimming in the lake, other years, it was rather cold. Difficult to say with this weird winter. I have a feeling though, because of the ultra cold winter, we will have a burning hot summer. If it is cold, we might need to rule swimming out, but dry land activities should be good. Date is not set in stone, so I am completely open to suggestions. I'm trying to Coordinate this with the Sandrift, and do it during a weekend they are not busy either, as they have guests and what not that will need to use the facilities (though, all Sandrift guests are welcome to join in. Most people that stay are year after year regulars, and some I've even grown up with for how many years they have been visiting!). Could always schedule it for when the Russians are visiting :) They always know how to have a great time!

So anyways, Im getting off subject.
Car show weekend is one idea, we could have it closer to the end of May or Beginning of June, and have a separate fun thing for the car show. If anyone wants to display their car, I can get you the information. I would love to, but with my 2 lil guys, it gets a bit difficult. I usually just park at the Sandrift and Walk to the car show. Car show is at Noah's Ark Waterpark parking lot. It's a 10 minute walk from Sandrift. As you could imagine, parking is a nightmare around the show. Thing of a ENTIRE WATER PARK PARKING LOT COMPLETELY FULL OF EVERY TYPE OF CAR YOU COULD IMAGINE.

I will need to rule Memorial Day out, so weekend of Friday the 23rd through Monday the 26th, as Sandrift is Completly booked solid (Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor day are always 100% booked usually a year in advance by the regulars).

We have weekend of the 31st of May-1st of June, and anything after that I will need to check to see what the booking status is of Sandrift. It is a small place, only 16 units, so doesn't take much to fill up.

Since I got no complaints on the date, I will start planning on May 7-8. If you wish to stay at the Sandrift, they have 7 rooms available as of right now.
Just some information for the train ride: RIVERSIDE & GREAT NORTHERN RAILROAD
Please RSVP with me AS SOON AS POSSIBLE SO I CAN ARRANGE GROUP PRICING! As well as start arranging for food and what not.

And since it is Car Show Weekend, if anyone wants to DISPLAY there Tesla in the car show, let me know and I will get the information for that.

But once again, Please RSVP AS SOON AS YOU CAN, I really need RSVP's for this!!!

And please let all your Tesla Owning Friends, and anyone else who may be Interested in Tesla's know about this! EVERYONE IS INVITED!

sounds like fun -- I will confirm once we are closer to the date, and I can coordinate with the family..

What kind of chargers are available at the Sandrift ???.. sounds like Chris has one (some?) already, and will be installing more when the weather breaks. (Love the Sandrift Website - announcing charging available for TESLAs!)

Last edited:
sounds like fun -- I will confirm once we are closer to the date, and I can coordinate with the family..

What kind of chargers are available at the Sandrift ???.. sounds like Chris has one (some?) already, and will be installing more when the weather breaks. (Love the Sandrift Website - announcing charging available for TESLAs!)

Currently, Sandrift has a single 14-50 outlet, which was completely packed all last summer with travelers. Tesla has provided 2x HPWC's for me to install at the Sandrift. I havent been up to the dells since before my Niagara trip, and the weather has been above freezing, so the snow should be melted by now.

One will be going by the main office, and limited to 40 amps due to a maxed out incoming power service. The second will replace the 14-50. That one will be able to service the full 80 amps of a Dual Charger enabled car. On top of that, Sandrift is 20 miles south of the Mauston Supercharger.

There's a NEMA 14-50 at present. It sounds like he's installing a Tesla HPWC. I know from other posts that he bought one recently, but I don't know if that's what's being installed. He said 80 amps, so that sounds like the HPWC. The location is great. It's off the main drag, by about a half mile, so good for a constitutional walk.

IslandBayy, can I suggest putting a chalkboard or whiteboard with some consideration for rain so folks can jot down their phone numbers to swap out connections as necessary? My immediate thought is to get a display case from a Michael's store, which has a magnetic latch. Something like this (as an example):
11X14 Black Ornate Hinged Shadowbox

I do not endorse Michael's in any way. They will lose your credit card number, just like Target. Pay cash if you shop there.

There's a NEMA 14-50 at present. It sounds like he's installing a Tesla HPWC. I know from other posts that he bought one recently, but I don't know if that's what's being installed. He said 80 amps, so that sounds like the HPWC. The location is great. It's off the main drag, by about a half mile, so good for a constitutional walk.

IslandBayy, can I suggest putting a chalkboard or whiteboard with some consideration for rain so folks can jot down their phone numbers to swap out connections as necessary? My immediate thought is to get a display case from a Michael's store, which has a magnetic latch. Something like this (as an example):
11X14 Black Ornate Hinged Shadowbox

I do not endorse Michael's in any way. They will lose your credit card number, just like Target. Pay cash if you shop there.

Meaning, have a board at the Sandrift so people can leave contact information if necessary? Yah, good idea. I will look into that. Although, so far, everyone has just been coordinating through the Sandrift's office.

Since I got no complaints on the date, I will start planning on May 7-8. If you wish to stay at the Sandrift, they have 7 rooms available as of right now.
Just some information for the train ride: RIVERSIDE & GREAT NORTHERN RAILROAD
Please RSVP with me AS SOON AS POSSIBLE SO I CAN ARRANGE GROUP PRICING! As well as start arranging for food and what not.

And since it is Car Show Weekend, if anyone wants to DISPLAY there Tesla in the car show, let me know and I will get the information for that.

But once again, Please RSVP AS SOON AS YOU CAN, I really need RSVP's for this!!!

And please let all your Tesla Owning Friends, and anyone else who may be Interested in Tesla's know about this! EVERYONE IS INVITED!
It is May 17-18 right? not May 7-8?

As appears to be so typical with Model S owners (which I almost was, but chose a Roadster instead), this is not a Tesla get together but a Model S get together.

The replacement of the 14-50 with an HPWC leaves Roadster owners unable to charge. As such I will not be attending.

Rant over.

As appears to be so typical with Model S owners (which I almost was, but chose a Roadster instead), this is not a Tesla get together but a Model S get together.

The replacement of the 14-50 with an HPWC leaves Roadster owners unable to charge. As such I will not be attending.

Rant over.
14-50 Will not be removed. It will still be available. Due to limitations on available power from Utility, the 14-50's box will be locked to prevent someone plugging into the 14-50 and the new 80 amp HPWC. Box unlocked upon request at the office.
The available power is going to be literally maxed out. The garage can support two people charging at 40 amps (1 on HPWC and 1 on the 14-50), or 1 person charging at 80 on the HPWC.
Looked into getting another drop from the utility, however, they said they would need to upgrade the pole transformer, and wanted to charge Sandrift to do that..... and the quoted price was not cheap.

Last edited:
Currently, Sandrift has a single 14-50 outlet, which was completely packed all last summer with travelers. Tesla has provided 2x HPWC's for me to install at the Sandrift. I havent been up to the dells since before my Niagara trip, and the weather has been above freezing, so the snow should be melted by now.

One will be going by the main office, and limited to 40 amps due to a maxed out incoming power service. The second will replace the 14-50. That one will be able to service the full 80 amps of a Dual Charger enabled car. On top of that, Sandrift is 20 miles south of the Mauston Supercharger.

???

Mapped it for ya :) Cincinnati, OH to Sandrift Resort - Google Maps

I could do the drive in my MS60 with about a 1 hr stop in between Cincinnati and Maumee. It's 200 miles, so I would need to stop for some buffer, though, being summer time, maybe not if I felt dangerous (well, tried that once, I think I would just stop), but given you have a 85kW pack, the drive would be absolutely no problem :)

I wouldn't say your land locked at all ^_^

Another option for cars with twin chargers would be to drive to Indianapolis and charge at one of the Fashion Mall Tesla store's HPWCs. From there you could drive to the Normal and Rockford, IL Superchargers and up to Wisconsin. You can eat, shop, or watch a movie in the Fashion Mall, and get back on the road refreshed. It also should be shorter and you don't have to deal with Chicago traffic.

GSP