Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's ordering model makes it impossible for me to order. Any advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[Solved] Tesla's ordering model makes it impossible for me to order. Any advice?

Hello

After finally convincing my wife that a Model S is a great idea, actually getting one might be impossible. :(
And no, this has nothing to do with the dealership issues in the US.

Why then?

The company I work for have an agreement with a leasing firm and a policy for us employees that we can lease a car and pay by gross salary deductions. Which makes is the only way I could afford a MS. Leasing cost would still be about $1200/month on the net salary.
Anyway, I got my employer to agree to go above the usual limit for the price of the car and they have sent a signed order to the leasing company. The leasing company is still trying to decide what they should set the residual value to. I'm fine with anything between 25 and 50% so that won't be an issue.
The only problems left are a two related to the payment. First, they are having trouble with the reservation fee. Since the leasing firm is just a subsidiary of one of Swedens largest banks they have to follow the banking rules and can't just pay money as they like. Since the fee is pretty small they hope they can solve it somehow.
The big problem is that Tesla have apparently (at least the local rep) demanded full payment six weeks prior to delivery. This is where is becomes a big problem. Getting a bank to agree to pay $120000 to a company in another country in advance without any written guarantee or anything is most likely impossible. Normally business to business transactions is that a company orders something (legally binding in writing) and then get it together with an invoice. I find it strange that Tesla seems to be unwilling to do that kind of business?
Or is it just the local rep that has it all wrong?
Any advice on whom in Tesla I can contact about this? Either in the european or us organizations.
Any other advice?

Thanks!

Last edited:
After a while with no progress I took a chance and emailed Jerome Guillen. It solved this. Thanks Tesla! :)

Hmm... How do I change the thread title?

Great news, good luck on your purchase. I am just amazed that Jerome Guillen finds the time to reply to everyone who writes him, and not only that, but he also solves the problems his potential customers have, at the same time running Tesla sales worldwide in "reckless growth" :) just the other day he responded to someone in Australia about pricing, then there was another forum member who quoted his email as well just yesterday, now matbl. Kudos to him and it just shows how much dedication and effort goes into running this amazing company!! Love love love that! Thank you TM.

Great news, good luck on your purchase. I am just amazed that Jerome Guillen finds the time to reply to everyone who writes him, and not only that, but he also solves the problems his potential customers have, at the same time running Tesla sales worldwide in "reckless growth" :) just the other day he responded to someone in Australia about pricing, then there was another forum member who quoted his email as well just yesterday, now matbl. Kudos to him and it just shows how much dedication and effort goes into running this amazing company!! Love love love that! Thank you TM.

Not taking anything away from Jerome--it is impressive that everyone gets a response--but I'm sure he has staff to whom he farms out the emails and responses then he quickly reviews and sends. My boss does that and I do it as well. Great customer service from Tesla here.

Not taking anything away from Jerome--it is impressive that everyone gets a response--but I'm sure he has staff to whom he farms out the emails and responses then he quickly reviews and sends. My boss does that and I do it as well. Great customer service from Tesla here.

JohnQ: I agree that he delegates a lot to his staff(as any manager does), but there have been occasions of members here reporting to have received a reply from Jerome "within minutes", hence my admiration of him :)

After a while with no progress I took a chance and emailed Jerome Guillen. It solved this. Thanks Tesla! :smile:

Hmm... How do I change the thread title?

matbl: Could you share some details of what was the solution re: the purchase of the vehicle through leasing. How will that work? Also, have you got the purchase details worked out with the leasing company - duration, down payment, residual value etc. Thanks

matbl: Could you share some details of what was the solution re: the purchase of the vehicle through leasing. How will that work? Also, have you got the purchase details worked out with the leasing company - duration, down payment, residual value etc. Thanks
Solution ended up a little bit complicated. But basically it goes like this: Leasing company sends a signed order for the car to Tesla, I build and confirm the car on the web incl paying the reservation fee. The car gets built, shipped and delivered. The leasing company pays the whole amount of the car (incl the previously paid reservation fee amount) by invoice like normal. I get back my reservation fee.
The thing that needed solving was that the leasing company couldn't handle the reservation fee or paying the full amount before delivery.
Leasing details are 36 month, no down payment, 30% residual. But please note that this is leasing through my employer (big company) who has an agreement with the leasing company so I think that influences the lease terms.