Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear sunshade from Tesla -- creases....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the rear sunshade from Tesla which I generally like -- easy to install, hides stuff in trunk, reduces glare, etc.

I've had it in place for about a week now and there are still creases in the shade from how it was folded/collapsed. The creases are quite visible via the rear-view mirror, which is sort of distracting.

Anyone else experience this? I suppose I can try removing it and using a warm iron on it...

I haven't noticed any creases but that is probably because when I picked it up at the SC it was not folded up. I assume if you have it shipped it would need to be folded.

Has anyone noticed the fabric being a little wavy in spots? Looks like it almost isn't sitting perfectly and there is slightly extra material??? I will try taking it out and reseating it in the window. Overall, I am happy with the shade and my son complains less about the sun being too bright.

Well, it looks like with a little sunshine and a freakish day with highs in the 50s, my creases have resolved. Yay. And Reed -- I have the same thing,with a little "wave" of extra material. I think because this thing is an aftermarket (albeit OEM) shade, it will never fit 100% perfectly.

What's the benefit of doing this vs. tint?
It's easier (and cheaper) to replace the shades when they start looking ratty. I never tinted mine because all the cars I've sat in with tinted windows looked really bad up close (where the tint had scratches and chips out.)

It's easier (and cheaper) to replace the shades when they start looking ratty. I never tinted mine because all the cars I've sat in with tinted windows looked really bad up close (where the tint had scratches and chips out.)

I'm considering using this instead of tinting my rear window. I'll still tint the sides and windshield. Does it block 90+% of UV?

I'm considering using this instead of tinting my rear window. I'll still tint the sides and windshield. Does it block 90+% of UV?

The glass itself is very UV opaque. You can test this if you have glasses that change with UV. They don't darken looking through the glass. I don't have the side screens, only the top and hatch ones. Those are just mesh, not a film.

The glass itself is very UV opaque. You can test this if you have glasses that change with UV. They don't darken looking through the glass. I don't have the side screens, only the top and hatch ones. Those are just mesh, not a film.

+1, the UV sales pitch is useless, glass itself does it.

The more important point is heat protection, the pano roof apparently is coated in 3M Crystalline, but I may be wrong.

Also cops love to see faces, the other day in the ER two staties agreed that your chances of gettting pulled over just about double with tint, especially if an APB is out in the area. Night driving with tint on windshield and front windows results in further reduction of visibility, so I never tint front, besides I love my Oceanus polarizing sunglasses.

Last edited: