Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nikola Tesla Movie

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An independent filmmaker is in preproduction for a movie about the life of Nikola Tesla. Here's a link to the filmmaker's website that includes related information and video: TESLA feature film by Pawel Hohne Kickstarter

Elon needs to donate 9k so Talulah Riley gets a role. Maybe he can even convince them to do some product placement with a Model S?

Hehe, how about 9k for each of his kids?

I'm not sure where else to put this, so....here you are:

last week we had a long discussion with the young gentleman at AT&T who was selling us an iPhone. Because of his interesting first and last name, and accent, we (very easily) gleaned from him that he was an immigrant from Croatia. Not many minutes after that, he learned we own a Tesla.
"You know where he's from", we were quizzed/demanded/challenged.
"Well...he was Serbian", I replied - quite tentatively, as I'm well aware of the animosity between most Serbs and Croats.

His eyes rolled, only slightly figuratively. "He was from ___________", citing the name of a town that meant nothing to me. And which, according to our young friend, is in Croatia and - again, I'm citing this Croat, Tesla's mother was Croat and his father may or may not have been Serbian.

So - I'm not in any way able to confirm or refute this slightly revisionist history, but there is at least one person out there who believes that the electric genius was Croatian. Does anyone have any insight as to how much of this is true?

So - I'm not in any way able to confirm or refute this slightly revisionist history, but there is at least one person out there who believes that the electric genius wCroatian. Does anyone have any insight as to how much of this is true?

Although he was Serbian, Tesla was born in Smiljan, which was then part of the Austrian Empire and now modern Croatia, which probably leads so some confusion. Wikipedia lists him among the most distinguished Serbian Americans.

Nikola Tesla was born in Smiljan, which is, indeed, in present day Croatia. But since Croatia, Serbia and pretty much the rest of the Balkans were part of the Austrian Empire at the time, the geographical location of his birth is pretty meaningless. He may as well have been born in Vienna, or Belgrade or Sarajevo for all that the location matters.

As for his parentage, there is no doubt there. Milutin Tesla was a Serbian Orthodox priest, and his mother would memorize Serbian poetry. When Nikola was at the Austrian Polytechnic, he started a Serbian culture club.

There really is no convincing argument to the claim that he is Croat, except for the modern day borders that didn't exist at the time of his birth.

Elon needs to donate 9k so Talulah Riley gets a role. Maybe he can even convince them to do some product placement with a Model S?

Hehe, how about 9k for each of his kids?

Indeed, Jeff, financial support by Elon could make the film a success. Most independent films no matter how good fail to receive wide distribution, like "Coin Toss" in which I recently had a role. Furthermore, if Elon lends Model S's for scenes in the film, that will provide inexpensive exposure.

Indeed, Jeff, financial support by Elon could make the film a success. Most independent films no matter how good fail to receive wide distribution, like "Coin Toss" in which I recently had a role. Furthermore, if Elon lends Model S's for scenes in the film, that will provide inexpensive exposure.

Yeah, it would be a good way to promote the brand without "advertising". Anything that keeps the Tesla name on people's minds helps with exposure and sales.