Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tide Turning in Arizona?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Republican Arizona state senators have endorsed and passed a bill allowing direct sales by Tesla:

Arizona bill would allow Tesla to skip dealers

Tesla Sales to Be Legalized in Arizona?

Is the catalyst the Gigafactory or Christie's folly or both?

Either way this may be a trend because in every story I see people, except for those who financially benefit from the dealership model, seem to believe that Tesla will ultimately triumph over the dealers.

In the short term, I hope Arizona citizens call their local reps now to vote for this pro-Tesla bill, House bill 2123.

Last edited:
Not quite. It passed representative's, but not the senate. The senate will decide on the issue. I bet you that if Tesla does not choose them as the plant holders, then they will ban it again or wait until they get the plant to enact the law. It is all about money in the end...

Speaking from Chandler, AZ, I see Model S' all over the place and they have a great gallery in Scottsdale mall. I really hope my state does the right thing, bringing more business to AZ and freedom to buy Teslas directly. Wouldn't hurt if we got the factory too. :wink:

Also, I was thinking of contacting my State about direct sales. Anyone have a good link to some info I could provide them with? There's a lot of money starting to be pulled together to kill Tesla's attempts to sell directly without dealerships and I want them to know, that I not only want Tesla to sell directly in my state, but all manufacturers. GM is starting to pull against Tesla's move, just because they can't. GM and others should be banding together with Tesla, not against . . .

It would allow a company to sell vehicles directly to consumers if it only makes electric vehicles and has a service center in the state to handle repairs and warranty issues.
This is poorly drafted and could bite Tesla. Tesla does not "only make electric vehicles". It also provides electric drivetrains to other OEMs, provides a charging infrastructure, builds battery packs for SolarCity installations, etc. The law should read:
It would allow a company to sell vehicles directly to consumers if the only vehicles it sells are electric vehicles and it has a service center in the state to handle repairs and warranty issues.

This is poorly drafted and could bite Tesla. Tesla does not "only make electric vehicles". It also provides electric drivetrains to other OEMs, provides a charging infrastructure, builds battery packs for SolarCity installations, etc. The law should read:

I'd actually go a bit farther. Why does the drivetrain matter?

It would allow a company to sell vehicles directly to consumers if there are no competing franchises in the state (or area) and it has a service center in the state to handle repairs and warranty issues.

Really, if we're protecting consumers, the last part is what matters. If we want to write franchise protection into law, then the first part is sufficient IMO.

I agree that the bill is poorly worded, but believe the intent is to allow Tesla to sell in the state. The requirement that a company "only make electric vehicles" is ambiguous, but was meant IMHO to refer to electric vehicles vs ICE/hybrid rather than accessories, power supplies, and components.

I understand the article such that the bill is not actually dead yet, just not progressing and time is running out. The fact that the Republican they talked to is for Tesla sales makes it sound more like, "Hey, if we don´t do anything this bill is going to die!"