Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So you *can* add rear-facing seats after delivery for VINs after P05428

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone!

Just ordered my first Tesla. With the Leaf and Ody on their way out and the RAV4 EV remaining, this will make us a 100% Tesla powertrain/battery home. I'm psyched to never have to go to the gas station again or get an oil change again.

Learned a ton during the purchase process (and many kudos go out to the community for your generosity, esp. lolachampcar who answered too many questions from me). I figure it's my turn to give back.

One of the most interesting things I learned is that, apparently, you can add rear-facing seats to cars well past VIN 5000, post-delivery.

I had searched the forum before and didn't see anything on this, so here goes:
- I had been shopping inventory cars and found one I liked but w/o rear-facing seats. I was surprised when the ownership advisor said they could add rear-facing seats at $3600. A day later, I found another inventory car w/o rear-facing seats, and this time was quoted $4500 to add in rear-facing seats. I tried to find out whether it was a car that had previously had rear-facing seats, or whether it had for some reason had the 2nd bumper installed. I couldn't get a consistent set of answers.
- So I called the Palo Alto service center, then corporate, and finally back to the Palo Alto SC. Here's what they said:
- There's a service bulletin that says cars above VIN P05428 can be retrofitted to add the rear-facing seats. It requires the cross member to be installed. With the exception of the 1st 15 or so cars, pretty much every car qualifies - those below 05428 don't require the extra bar; those above, do require it. No final word on the variance in quotes.

I wound up not needing to go down this route since I ordered new instead of purchasing via the secondary market; but hopefully this will be helpful to either current owners who wish they'd added rear-facing seats, or to prospective buyers who are trying to figure out whether to settle for a car without them - good news, you don't have to settle. =)

I've posted this before in the jump seat threads - when I got mine retrofitted, the invoice said "crossmember installation not required". I asked the technician the cost of crossmember installation and he told me it was $6000.

- There's a service bulletin that says cars above VIN P05428 can be retrofitted to add the rear-facing seats. It requires the cross member to be installed. With the exception of the 1st 15 or so cars, pretty much every car qualifies - those below 05428 don't require the extra bar; those above, do require it. No final word on the variance in quotes.
I don't know if this is Tesla's language or yours, so hopefully you can clarify.

Are you talking about cars in the range [05413,05427], [00001,00015], or some other range? Thanks.

I don't know if this is Tesla's language or yours, so hopefully you can clarify.

Are you talking about cars in the range [05413,05427], [00001,00015], or some other range? Thanks.

IIU the service center correctly on the phone, I think basically VINs below 5428 already have the extra safety equipment - read: crossbar/2nd bumper - whereas those above don't have it yet, but can have it added in at extra expense.

- - - Updated - - -

so it seems we have 3 quotes...$3600, $4500, and $6000 .... okaaayyy

Yeah, this was a bit frustrating, esp. because at one point, a NorCal SC said that a SoCal SC was quoting me a lower price for the retrofit on an inventory car b/c they were going to skip a proper safety retrofit, and sell me a car that wasn't as safe! I didn't know who to believe, and almost walked away from ordering a Tesla - new or inventory - but talk about a car that sells itself...