Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cross country trip to start a job at Tesla!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In a couple hours, I am leaving my home in Maryland to start a cross-country drive in my Model S 85. A few months ago, I started interviewing at Tesla and got a job offer this January in their Autopilot autonomous driving program. Our first stop will be at the Somerset supercharger around 1:30pm. Follow the journey at Charging West or post any related questions here! I'd love to meet some other Tesla fans along the way.

Congratulations!

Wish our Cranberry, PA Supercharger was powered up for you.

I'm guessing Tesla employment limits TMC involvement (at least from a posting standpoint) but would love to nibble whatever crumbs you have to spill out under the table before your non-disclosure agreement takes effect!

Travel safe-- and enjoy the epicness of cross-country trip!

Guys, thanks for all the well wishes. We're in Wisconsin tonight. Tomorrow we go through Mauston, Onalaska, Albert Lea, Worthington, Mitchell, and Murdo. It's going to be a long day! I have lots of comments and info about the trip and some thoughts on early autopilot features that I would have loved to have on the trip so far. If you're on my route tomorrow let me know! We're also on twitter @ChargingWest.

Guys, thanks for all the well wishes. We're in Wisconsin tonight. Tomorrow we go through Mauston, Onalaska, Albert Lea, Worthington, Mitchell, and Murdo. It's going to be a long day! I have lots of comments and info about the trip and some thoughts on early autopilot features that I would have loved to have on the trip so far. If you're on my route tomorrow let me know! We're also on twitter @ChargingWest.
I see what you did there with that "@Chargingwest"!!!

Where in Wisconsin? I'm in Milwaukee.

Sorry we missed you, Steve. We've made it to Moab and met some cool people along the way. Tomorrow we hit Blanding, Farmington, Gallup, Holbrook, and Flagstaff, hopefully. I know we could go straight to Flagstaff from Blanding, but we actually want to see Four Corners and some sights in New Mexico.

364 Wh/mi for the trip so far after 2500 miles. Worst leg was around 440, best was 230. Our lifetime average before this was 320, now it's 330. I'll post specific Wh/mi for each segment when we reach Palo Alto.

Last day! Our last leg last night was Kingman - Barstow, 209 miles. We did it in 322 Wh/mi, no problems. There was a major headwind at the end so we were driving just under the speed limit for our first conservative experience with this route.

We leave Barstow around 9. Approximate ETAs are:
Tejon: 11:15
Harris Ranch: 2:00
Gilroy: 4:30
SF Peninsula: 6:00

Don't know where we will make our "final" destination. We are headed for temporary housing on the Peninsula. We may stop for a photo at Tesla HQ in Palo Alto to complete the trip.