Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

full size spare wheel and tire for model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone happen to know if there are physically compatible full-size wheels available for a reasonable price that will fit the model S?

When I bought my Acura 10 years ago, someone gave me the good advice to buy a full size spare wheel and tire and keep it at home ... that way if (ahem... when...) you cut a tire or pick up a nail, you only have to get home on a spare (or tow) and then you can just pop on the full size spare while you get the tire patched or replaced.

The OEM Acura wheels could be found for cheap on ebay, but I imagine that a "real" full size model S rim would be a lot more than I want to pay for an emergency-only solution. If someone has suggestions for reasonably priced alternatives I'd be interested. And again, this is a *FULL* size wheel, though I suppose it doesn't absolutely have to be the exact same tire size... one that fits the bolt pattern and can be safely driven at highway speeds is what I need.

The bolt pattern is 5x120, which is the same pattern that BMW uses. But if you are going to go to the trouble of buying a spare wheel, I'd just buy the Tesla wheel. You can get them used on the forum for relatively reasonable cost.

I would stick to the same size tire. Using a tire that is significantly different in terms of diameter will confuse the wheel speed sensors and will cause the car to disable a whole host of functions that you don't want to disable, including power steering, ABS, regenerative braking, stability control, and traction control.

Another option would be to put together a compact spare and carry it with you, or to buy a cheap aftermarket wheel from Tirerack. But, honestly, if you are going to go to the trouble of buying something to keep in your garage, buy a used Tesla OEM wheel/tire combo and rotate it through when you rotate the tires on your car.

Are you planning to have a set of winter tyres? I'd probably recommend if you're going with a full size tyre then go with a tesla wheel or pop on one of your winter ones until your summer can be fixed or vice versa. You can get an after market from tire rack but by the time you get TPMS added you may as well just get the tesla one and then a tyre like you already have. If you plan to just have one set all year round. ^^^^ what he said. Rotate through.

LOL - I live in Raleigh NC. We get virtually zero snow here-- but when we do, **** like THIS happens:

s snow photo goes viral :: WRAL.com

So there is exactly zero chance that I'm taking my Model S out in the snow with the drivers we have around here.... ;-)

thanks for the tip on the forum to pick up an actual Tesla wheel - I hadn't thought about there actually being a moderately liquid market for those parts yet.

thanks for the tip on the forum to pick up an actual Tesla wheel - I hadn't thought about there actually being a moderately liquid market for those parts yet.

if there are extra wheels around its because people are get the 19's with their cars and then upgrade to the 21's later etc. I have to say. If money wasn't an option I'd be driving on. Thee 21's daily myself.