Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Charging at Campgrounds and RV Parks

Quote Originally Posted by efusco View Post
    Good tips! Thanks. Is the KOA rate for the US as well as Canada, to the best of your knowledge? Is it a published rate?
    I haven't seen a published rate, but a Canadian site owner I spoke to said it was a head office policy. I'm not sure if that's Canadian head office or North American.

Quote Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
    Which car are we talking about here?
    Roadster (maybe early Roadsters?) Not sure...not a Roadster owner!
    P85 VIN55228. Black and tan w/ Carbon Fiber decor, spoiler, coils, Pano, Reus audio (To be installed), 20" Avant Garde M310s (Matte Black), tech, parking sensors, premium lighting.
    (Original Model S, now in hEaVen: VIN 1653, S85, Dolphin Gray)

Quote Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
    Which car are we talking about here?
    The Roadster. You can't run climate control while charging a Roadster.
    Tom Saxton
    Nov 30 2006 to Jun 5 2009 - A long wait for an awesome ride.

So I'm trying to plot a course from Raleigh, NC to Orlando, FL and back (with overnight stop at the Disney resort on Hilton Head Island each way, and they were in no way accommodating on the phone tonight), but it is proving to be a real pain as there doesn't appear to be any friendly RV parks on or near HHI. The ones I've found so far are either owner-only, require check-in before dark, have RV-only covenants, etc.

Problem being HHI is where I would be needing a full charge overnight. I could likely top off en route at mealtimes (as each leg would be ~300 miles) without hunting around for an RV park or KOA, but the lack of charging on HHI is making our upcoming trip look like another gas powered one.

Can't wait for the Superchargers on the southern half of I-95!

Has anyone had any luck getting 50A charging (or greater, one can always dream!) on that stretch of I-95?

Also sounds like WDW is equally EV unfriendly, whether at a Disney resort or park.

Anyone in either the Hilton Head Island or Lake Buena Vista / greater Orlando area want to trade Model S drive time for amp hours?

Model S - R140
    Anyone have any experience with RV parks that are designated "55+"? (Assuming you're not 55+)
    Model S - R140 - 5YJSA1DN4CFP01275 - 85kWh, Dolphin Gray, Black Leather, Piano, Tech, Audio, Suspension, 19", Pano, Twin, HPWC.

There are many marinas in HHI. Same as plugging into a RV park. Call around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    http://tesla1.weebly.com/uploads/1/8...58/7230659.png
    Model S Res. #15,582 (FL) VIN # 6602 Delivered 3/15/13
    Grey, Black w/ Red Pin Strip w/ Carbon Fiber Dash, 85kWh, Perf, 21" Grey, Pana Roof, Rear Jump Seats, HPWC, Tech, Sound

reviving an old thread - Anyone have any experiences charging at KOA campgrounds in the New England?

Quote Originally Posted by bhuwan View Post
    reviving an old thread - Anyone have any experiences charging at KOA campgrounds in the New England?
    Earlier in this thread Slackjaw posted a number of campground experiences in New England. If you go back about 100 posts you will find them...

We have an RV park in our town. I stopped by there one day and was appalled at their ignorance and unwillingness to be even slightly flexible and accommodating wrt EV charging. But I think that's unusual.

I recently traveled over 2,000 miles in my Roadster (VT -> NC and back) and had reasonably good charging experiences staying at 3 different airbnb residences. In the future if I have to stay overnight I will probably do this again. In each case I was clear with the host ahead of time that I expected to pay extra for the privilege of charging and made sure their dryer outlet was close enough to where I had to park. In some cases I got them to send me a picture of the outlet so I could bring the right adapter. Of course this won't help you if you just need to charge during the day.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dflye View Post
    So I'm trying to plot a course from Raleigh, NC to Orlando, FL and back (with overnight stop at the Disney resort on Hilton Head Island each way, and they were in no way accommodating on the phone tonight), but it is proving to be a real pain as there doesn't appear to be any friendly RV parks on or near HHI. The ones I've found so far are either owner-only, require check-in before dark, have RV-only covenants, etc.

Problem being HHI is where I would be needing a full charge overnight.
    Hilton Head Motorcoach Resort (on Arrow Rd) said they will allow you to charge (Nema 14-50) but only if they have space available, and not overnight. There would be a charge.

The Westin Hotel on HHI does have a charger now IIRC.

As it happens I did see a silver Model S with pano roof heading towards Sea Pines on Saturday morning - may be locals but gotta assume they were charging somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    Hilton Head Motorcoach Resort (on Arrow Rd) said they will allow you to charge (Nema 14-50) but only if they have space available, and not overnight. There would be a charge.

The Westin Hotel on HHI does have a charger now IIRC.

As it happens I did see a silver Model S with pano roof heading towards Sea Pines on Saturday morning - may be locals but gotta assume they were charging somewhere.
    Thanks for the updated intel on the area!

We ended up taking the wife's RAV4 and using our DVC points as usual to stay at HHI on the way south, and just motoring through the 650+ miles in one go on the way north, as it would have been a very unpleasant trip if I'd subjected wife & son to the lengthy charging breaks required with the candidate stops not really lining up with location / timing of our usual layovers.

But the future looks great, once the I-95 chargers are in place, looks like road tripping from our part of NC to most of FL will be a breeze! Then once the chargers in NC heading towards TN are online, that pretty much covers every exit route from the state for us.

As to longish day trips or weekends to odd-parts of the state of NC, that will likely still be a pain. Places out in distant parts of the Outer Banks like Cape Hatteras or remote mountain locales like Murphy NC just aren't going to be within reach without a bit more charging infrastructure at >30A.

Thread Information