Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Take a Ride in a Tesla Day idea (in Hawaii)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Akikiki

A'-Lo-HA ! y'all
Nov 26, 2012
Kaneohe, HI
Hi. I don't know if this is a worth while idea. But we could discuss it.

I think that any of us would give a ride in our MS to someone that asked. I offer a ride to people I just met as well as neighbors and co-workers. I've given many rides (and I am not finished). So that being said, here's a couple of questions.

1. Is there any interest by existing owners to participating in "Take a Ride in a Tesla Day". We could gather at some location and give rides in our MS's to any of the public that shows up.

2. How would we get the word out? What media methods could we use to explain to the public that they can come a take a ride?

Its too bad Tesla was not present at the FHB Auto Show. But dsmith and I did all we could to "show off and talk it up".

Tesla might not be ready to be involved in this as least until they are 100% sales force ready and have their dealer license. But I was thinking we could do this without them.

My single motive in this idea is to expose more folks here to Tesla (and show off my pretty RED car).

Ideas, comments, for or against? Any one willing?

Update: 4/22/14
After a short discussion with members, I believe this is not a good idea to pursue any further for personally owned cars.
I requested from the forum admin that it be deleted so others would not be tempted, but it was not deleted.
So, this note is simply to discourage the idea.

Last edited:
Hi. I don't know if this is a worth while idea. But we could discuss it.

I think that any of us would give a ride in our MS to someone that asked. I offer a ride to people I just met as well as neighbors and co-workers. I've given many rides (and I am not finished). So that being said, here's a couple of questions.

1. Is there any interest by existing owners to participating in "Take a Ride in a Tesla Day". We could gather at some location and give rides in our MS's to any of the public that shows up.

2. How would we get the word out? What media methods could we use to explain to the public that they can come a take a ride?

Its too bad Tesla was not present at the FHB Auto Show. But dsmith and I did all we could to "show off and talk it up".

Tesla might not be ready to be involved in this as least until they are 100% sales force ready and have their dealer license. But I was thinking we could do this without them.

My single motive in this idea is to expose more folks here to Tesla (and show off my pretty RED car).

Ideas, comments, for or against? Any one willing?

I talked with Susan at the SC today and she said she appreciates what the owners do to promote Tesla and the Model S. It is word of mouth that seems to get people buying the car.

I do like the idea but am concerned about the liability of giving people we don't know rides in the car. I am more than happy to give rides to friends and coworkers. I am not comfortable with the idea of test drives, though it doesn't sound like you are suggesting this.

Doing a mini car show would be a great idea since Tesla was not invited to the FHB Auto Show (they don't have a dealer's license yet).

We could put the word out to the Star Advertiser and to the news folks.

I agree. I do not wish to commit anyone including myself to allow anyone to drive my car. I am only suggesting rides. We can always defer the to Tesla for a test drive even if they need to wait a little while until Tesla can offer one to them.

I don't mean to be a party pooper here, and I definitely think it's an awesome idea, but keep in mind that it's a fine grey line between doing something as an individual out of the goodwill of your heart and having an organized event that would require liability insurance. Generally speaking, if anything was to happen while driving at an organized event (not deemed to be personal travel), your insurance company could deny coverage, and you'd be left on your own to pay your liability claim. Given the likely high cost of repairs to our vehicles, I could easily see an insurance company taking the easy way out and denying coverage. It has happened before with other auto club member events that I was a part of before. (not to me, thank goodness)

An event like this is definitely needed here since TM and the MS are not likely to ever be invited to the FHB Auto Show. Unfortunately, the show organized by the HI Auto Dealers Association, and car dealers don't like TM, having spoken to a few people I know @ the BMW and Toyota dealerships here. It likely won't matter if they get a Hawaii dealers' license.

Perhaps it would be better to see if we can arrange through the SC a reception for potential TM customers with current MS owners. Doesn't have to be at the SC either. Heck, if EK Fernandez, Kamehameha Schools and Rich Miano can organize a poorly thought out and unnecessary Hawaii Kai carnival on short notice, it should be easy to arrange a small reception event someplace in town.

The SC does offer test rides to potential clients--but the vehicle must be driven by TM staff at all times for now until they receive their dealer license. My MS is commercially insured to carry passengers for hire, but similarly, I have to be the driver. I like the mini-reception idea at the SC...the only problem I foresee is where would the public park? In addition, the SC folks may not want just anyone walking around with an open invitation to scope their shop out.

I do give rides to friends and even acquaintances when asked, most times.

I agree that it is word of mouth and giving friends lifts that is selling the car here in Hawaii.
the SC has a sales force now and they should be doing something. they should be the ones planning a test drive event somewhere.
Even if they weren't invited to be in the car show last week they could have at least tried to crash the party somehow.
There were lots of vendors/clubs that were not car companies that had cars being displayed. Even if they couldn't get a car through the door they could have set up a test drive across the street. when is tesla going to start being less passive with their sales force. It's time for them to step up and do events here in Hawaii. I think Aikiki and I sold at least 3 cars by wearing a shirt that said tesla.

I agree that it is word of mouth and giving friends lifts that is selling the car here in Hawaii.
the SC has a sales force now and they should be doing something. they should be the ones planning a test drive event somewhere.
Even if they weren't invited to be in the car show last week they could have at least tried to crash the party somehow.
There were lots of vendors/clubs that were not car companies that had cars being displayed. Even if they couldn't get a car through the door they could have set up a test drive across the street. when is tesla going to start being less passive with their sales force. It's time for them to step up and do events here in Hawaii. I think Aikiki and I sold at least 3 cars by wearing a shirt that said tesla.

dsmith +1

100% in agreement - TM should step up their marketing budget here. I always thought that Hawaii would have been the perfect place to sell lots of Teslas - heck, just look at how many Leafs have been popping up all over the place. I still have a theory that they're secretly going to open a gallery in the Ala Moana sears expansion wing...... Makes perfect sense given the high-end condo properties that are popping up over there and Saks moving in too.

Well we do have some small car shows every now and then were lots for the regulars show up... I'm sure you have seen them around.. I'll try and find out when the next one is and were... Tesla guys are invited and can show the cars there and talk or give rides if wanted.... I know Tesla owners love to talk about there cars :)