Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Brandon, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ufrugger - Tampa is still on the map, but doesn't appear until 2015, so should be there in plenty of time for Gen III.

Just took a look at the map and Tamps is now on marked as "coming soon". Time to start speculation and look for permits ? I think the Branden Mall was mentioned once and this would be a perfect location. Good restaurants there and anything else one needs for a break.

Time to start a new thread..... :-D

I heard today that permits are in process for a Tampa Supercharger. Anyone feel like hunting down the location? Assuming Hillsborough County....

I asked someone at Tesla if it was Brandon Mall and got a negative on that location. I'm guessing that the I-4/I-75 interchange makes the most sense but don't see any obvious sites. Of course, it could be a couple of miles from the interchange.

I asked someone at Tesla if it was Brandon Mall and got a negative on that location. I'm guessing that the I-4/I-75 interchange makes the most sense but don't see any obvious sites. Of course, it could be a couple of miles from the interchange.

That agrees with conversations I've had with various Tesla folk in Orlando and Tampa. Close to the interchange but not at the Brandon Mall.

Although Larry Chanin seems to believe it is going elsewhere, I think the Brandon Crossings Shopping Center on the west side of the I-4 & State Rd 60 (Adamo Dr) intersection would be an ideal location. Lots of excess parking in the center, and lots of food and shopping choices within walking distance.

I heard today that permits are in process for a Tampa Supercharger. Anyone feel like hunting down the location? Assuming Hillsborough County....

Agreed I don't think it will be at Brandon Mall, nor at Brandon Crossing, although I think they are both good locations. However, I do believe it still will be in the Brandon area. Regency Square Mall is also a good candidate. It's at the intersection of I-75 and state road 60, a few miles from I-4.

Regency Square Mall.jpg

I haven't had any luck finding a permit. The Tampa building permit search only allows for address, permit # and parcel #. So far guesses at addresses have been unsuccessful.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

Although Larry Chanin seems to believe it is going elsewhere, I think the Brandon Crossings Shopping Center on the west side of the I-4 & State Rd 60 (Adamo Dr) intersection would be an ideal location. Lots of excess parking in the center, and lots of food and shopping choices within walking distance.

Steve,

Brandon Crossings is very close to Regency Square. Its west of the intersection of I-75 (not I-4) and State Road 60.

Brandon Crossings.jpg

Larry

Larry those locations on the map would be in Hillsborough County and not the City of Tampa (though the city boundary is close at Orient Rd.) The Hillsborough County Permit Search website is HERE.

Scroll down the page and click on the 'Check/Research Permits' link
The best method I've found is to search under the "Look up Licenses/Permits/Projects" column and click on "By Address". Once there you can simply type in a street name and a 'From Date'. If you select 'For Projects' it seems to limit your results. I've already done this for a most of the main roads in this corridor, but maybe I'm not reading the permits correctly (some will make it easy and tell you 'Roofing' or 'Dillards', etc.)

Obviously particular parcels can be searched using the website, but I'm working on the assumption that the location and/or parcel with the eventual superchargers will front a main/popular roadway. Searching the road allows you to cover much more ground.

Last edited:
Steve,

Brandon Crossings is very close to Regency Square. Its west of the intersection of I-75 (not I-4) and State Road 60.

View attachment 45329

Larry

Larry,

Thanks for the I-4 error correction. I'm home sick today - obviously the drugs are good....

I'm familiar with Regency Square. Access in and out off of RTE 60 is horrendously backed up all the time. Once you are in the center, traffic patterns are awful, and parking always seems a mess. Because of those issues I have not been there in many months. Maybe it is better now.

Bloom.png

Unless someone here has specific information for the above mentioned locations, might I suggest a location just a tad further south. I'm assuming a couple of things with this location, specifically that the supercharger doesn't need to be as close to I-4 as possible & 85KW Drivers originating in Tampa can reach the other superchargers without the need for a Tampa charge. Again, this is all speculation, but I feel the SE corner of Bloomingdale & Providence Rd. has potential (maybe the NE corner as well). Then again, I may have missed the thread discussing all of this :)

Larry those locations on the map would be in Hillsborough County and not the City of Tampa (though the city boundary is close at Orient Rd.) The Hillsborough County Permit Search website is HERE.

The best method I've found is to search under the "Look up Licenses/Permits/Projects" column and click on "By Address". Once there you can simply type in a street name and a 'From Date'. If you select 'For Projects' it seems to limit your results. I've already done this for a most of the main roads in this corridor, but maybe I'm not reading the permits correctly (some will make it easy and tell you 'Roofing' or 'Dillards', etc.)

Obviously particular parcels can be searched using the website, but I'm working on the assumption that the location and/or parcel with the eventual superchargers will front a main/popular roadway. Searching the road allows you to cover much more ground.

Thanks Dan,

The link you provided doesn't work for me. I did find a Hillsborough County permit search, but it doesn't seem to have the 'From Date' searches that you mentioned.

I've done some address searches, but no luck.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

Unless someone here has specific information for the above mentioned locations, might I suggest a location just a tad further south. I'm assuming a couple of things with this location, specifically that the supercharger doesn't need to be as close to I-4 as possible & 85KW Drivers originating in Tampa can reach the other superchargers without the need for a Tampa charge. Again, this is all speculation, but I feel the SE corner of Bloomingdale & Providence Rd. has potential (maybe the NE corner as well). Then again, I may have missed the thread discussing all of this :)

Dan,

What specific host locations and amenities did you have in mind at this location?

A location off of I-75 and near I-4 is strategic because it facilitates travel North and South on I-75 between the existing Ft. Myers Supercharger and the "Coming Soon" Supercharger in the Gainesville/Ocala region. If that Supercharger is also located near I-4 it facilitates travel East and West between Tampa and Orlando.

Ideally the placement of Superchargers must avoid situations where only 85 kWh batteries can comfortably travel between locations. Ultimately, the design must be dictated by the range of 60 kWh batteries.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

Larry,

Thanks for the I-4 error correction. I'm home sick today - obviously the drugs are good....

I'm familiar with Regency Square. Access in and out off of RTE 60 is horrendously backed up all the time. Once you are in the center, traffic patterns are awful, and parking always seems a mess. Because of those issues I have not been there in many months. Maybe it is better now.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

Others had similar criticism for the Brandon Town Center Mall location. I suspect that Tesla is balancing the Cons of traffic issues with the practical issue of finding cooperating host locations with the necessary amenities that are strategically located off of major highways.

Larry

Note: I changed my post above to include the correct link to the Hillsborough County Permit Search Site.

I would like to expand on my reasoning for the location south of the Brandon Blvd./Adamo Drive. My statement regarding 85kWh owners originating from Tampa being able to reach all of the nearby superchargers is still correct, and is also correct for 60kWh owners. From this location at the SE corner of Bloomingdale & Providence Rd. (which is only 5 miles from the Brandon Town Center location) the distance to nearby superchargers are as follows: Gainesville (TBD) 135-145 Miles, Port Orange 138 Miles, Ft. Myers 130 Miles, and Port St. Lucie 146 Miles.... all reachable in a 60kWh.

Having a location as close as possible to I-4 doesn't provide as much benefit as one would think. When I think of the typical road-tripper that would be passing through Tampa, the majority of the Westbound traffic on I-4 would be heading south. An Orlando driver wanting to travel to any location north of Tampa would have no problem reaching their destination. Any traveler from SE Florida wanting to get to Gainesville/Tallahassee would take the Ft.Myers-Tampa-Gville route or the route up I-95. The distance from Port St. Lucie supercharger to Gainesville location (approximate) is about 225 miles, which could change in the future should there ever be an Orlando supercharger.

The actual location that I am suggesting is only 2 miles from the I-75 interchange. Bloomingdale is another heavily traveled road, but not nearly as congested as Adamo/Brandon Blvd. Though this area could be considered to be in Riverview or Bloomingdale, the reality is that 'Brandon' is used for an area much larger than it's technical boundaries. Per Google, the southern boundary of Brandon is Bloomingdale Blvd.

FOOD: At the SE corner is a development called the Winthrop Town Centre (http://www.winthroptowncentre.net). Food options are: Subway, Moe's Southwest Grill, Five Guys, Acropolis Greek Taverna, Green Iguana, Cappy's Pizza, The Egg & I, Starbucks, Frozen Yogurt

Of course this could all be wrong :)

Thanks for reading.

Alternative: the Publix plaza on the other side of I-75 at the SW corner of Falkenburg & US301 (3863 U.S. 301 Riverview, FL 33578)

Last edited:
I was planning a trip from NJ to St. Petersburg for early May... wonder if I'll be lucky and have a SC there by then!? :)
Hi,

Welcome to the Sunshine State!

The permit search function doesn't let us search on the owner name so we have to guess regarding the address. So far we haven't been able to find a permit for the Supercharger. Which means either we are looking in the wrong places, or the building permit hasn't been granted yet. If we are dealing with the latter situation where they haven't broken ground, it is possible but unlikely to have an operational Supercharger station by early May.

If you call ahead you may be able to schedule a charge at the Tampa and/or Orlando Service Centers.

Larry

Hi Larry,

Wishful thinking I guess!

I had already planned to just utilize J1772 stations in the area, and if needed bug the Tampa service center for some juice. Just enough to get back to the Supercharger network really. I probably won't be driving much while I'm there anyway.

I should probably check around if any hotels in the area would let me charge, even on 120V, since I'll be there a few days at least.

Hi Larry,

Wishful thinking I guess!

I had already planned to just utilize J1772 stations in the area, and if needed bug the Tampa service center for some juice. Just enough to get back to the Supercharger network really. I probably won't be driving much while I'm there anyway.

I should probably check around if any hotels in the area would let me charge, even on 120V, since I'll be there a few days at least.
St Pete has quite a few J1772 stations around, particularly near downtown. Many are free! What part of St Pete will you be visiting?

I know of two hotels in St. Petersburg that have overnight level 2 charging.

Loews Don CeSar Hotel

Vinoy® Renaissance St. Petersburg Resort & Golf Club

Below is a link to a Google map of Florida hotels with chargers. Zoom into the St. Petersburg area.

Map of Florida Hotels with Electric Charging Stations

Larry

I was in the Brandon area for lunch today and took a quick run through Regency Square, the spot that Larry seems to believe will be the location for the Tampa supercharger. As far as I could tell, there are no signs of construction in that area yet, not even any areas that are taped off or otherwise blocked.

I think they are still working out the fine details. The spot they wanted was less than 30 feet from a through-way and a variance is needed.... or something like that...

Just to add an additional layer of confidence for the Regency Square location, I received an email from the property manager confirming that they are working on a lease with Tesla for the supercharger station, and looking at the design of the facilities. The manager also mentioned that Tesla is very anxious to get this location in place.