Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What the heck is this orange stuff oozing from the frunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A friend of mine in California sent me pics of this stuff oozing from underneath the frunk hood (it's not my car). I didn't get other pictures from them yet (I'm asking for them) and I haven't heard back from them what Tesla said, but I thought others would find this interesting... Looks like some sort of expanding adhesive/foam. Funky color!

IMG_3066.jpeg

More pictures now.

Apparently, Tesla has seen only one other case, and it's an adhesive expansion in the heat. Keep an eye out for more as the summer kicks in. I think they took delivery of their Tesla late last year.

At least they chose a cool color for adhesives!

IMG_8345.jpeg
IMG_6581.jpeg
IMG_8660.jpeg
IMG_0164.jpeg
IMG_0198.jpeg

Hi guys,

So, digging up this old thread... it at least makes me feel better.

I was parked near a construction site yesterday for about 6 hours. Came home, parked, then later went to the car to get something out of the frunk to find it wouldn't open. Pulled up on it pretty good. Finally got it to pop up to the first latch, peeked under and saw the orange foam stuff. Looks like "great stuff" foam insulation. Finally got the frunk open and...

2014-06-03 21.24.26.jpg

My first thought was.... "Some ****** ****** sprayed foam insulation into my frunk today!"

Have a dash cam installed, so, immediately pulled the memory card and started sifting through footage at high speed. Went over the whole 6 hour park at that one spot, nothing. Went from the last frunk opening to present... nothing out of the ordinary.

On a hunch, searched TMC and here I am.

Suffice it to say I'm relieved that no one actually vandalized my Model S...

I was at the Hawthorne SC early on a Sunday morning about a month ago & there was a car charging & i noticed the orange goop oozing out of this persons frunk, when he finally got off the phone I pointed it out to him, turns out he was a Tesla employee from the new LA service center & wasn't aware of the problem & had never even heard of it, I told him to search TMC to help figure out the cause :wink:.

Happening here too...

Happening to us too. Blue MS started oozing last Saturday on an 80deg Oregon day. Service is enthusiastic but fairly useless - they came last Sunday to the house (yay!), but spent 3 hours with various chemicals trying to get it off before giving up. Said they'd call this week when they had an update from HQ on what to do, but no call yet.

Not exactly a reassuring first experience with the car...but at least it's still drivable.

has anyone heard a good answer for why this is happening?

Update: There was nothing service could do to remove the goo. They replaced the front plastic insert near the latch (not sure the correct name... the piece that is an option to get in chrome...) and the liner on the hood. Not sure if anything was done to prevent it from happening again.

My suspicion is that its an attempted/fix to make the hood more resistant to the "frunk dent" sensitivity when being closed. See threads in this forum. If that is true, one didn't pay attention to the nature of the stuff to expand under heat or its used occasionally in higher quantity than the production specs require?

My suspicion is that its an attempted/fix to make the hood more resistant to the "frunk dent" sensitivity when being closed. See threads in this forum. If that is true, one didn't pay attention to the nature of the stuff to expand under heat or its used occasionally in higher quantity than the production specs require?

possible? I remember seeing the guy put 'glue' from a caulk gun onto the sheet metal of the frunk hood between the 2 panels at the factory. Unfortunately I don't remember the color for some reason :confused:

Interesting. I noticed this on mine, would have happened during some very hot weather in Vancouver recently. Not as much spewed out as some of those pics, just a bit between hood and the nose cone. At first glance, I thought some big ugly bug got smooshed in there!

What I found is that, while the hot weather clearly softened this goo, it hardens up when cool. Since our Vancouver summers still get quite cool (like 12-14C) overnight, I was able to just pick the bits off with a finger. No residue, no other effects. I saved a chunk to bring to my local service center just in case, though.