Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger solution on private car parking space

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I've finally got an agreement in principle with my Estate Owners Association and Management Office to install a charger on my space.

I think some information may help for someone who wants to do the same:

1. From experience Tesla and EVPower can only provide information and solution, but they won't do the negotiation with the Owner's Association for you. Or else you'll get nowhere or get turned down easily. You have to do it yourself.

2. Think of an angle that why you switch to EV would benefit residents in the estate. (Owners Assoc and Management Office have no obligation to make your life easier, but if you help them to tell the story and get their job done, they also don't have a reason to stop you.)

3. Prepare all the technical assessment and solution before you apply. Talk to Management Office first, then ask HKE/CLP and EMSD and EVPower for site visit. (Management office can organise, you don't have to be there.)

4. Put together a brief write up for the Committee to circulate. Their approval usually base on this.

5. I use EVPower and they provide 3 solutions.
A - Install Check Meter BEFORE the public meter
B - Plug into your own residential meter
C - Take public supply and pay back management office

Due to different environment, different solution may apply, but usually A and B would have technical issues and legal issues. Problem arises when your "private equipment" taking up public spaces (Charger, Cables, installation works etc). I've taken option C by installing a charger using supply from public, which is powerful enough to give 7kW per hour charge, and using EVPower's meter to keep record.

I'll pay management office a fee by hour for the actual use of such charging equipment (although I pay for it..), such fee covers the use of public space and electric supply. Legally they are not reselling electricity but to rent me an equipment with electric supply to charge my vehicle.

I know some lucky forum member got their plug installed and management just charge a small fee, but some owner's association and management office like mine would insists every aspects got covered.

Hope this helps someone somewhere somehow :smile:

Reactions: dhrivnak
ekwng, may I ask whether you own your parking spot or you're renting only? And are you installing the outlet+meter at your sparking spot or at a public space where other EV drivers can also use (since it is charged by the hour and payment goes to management office as you mentioned)?

Appreciated for your info by the way.

ekwng, may I ask whether you own your parking spot or you're renting only? And are you installing the outlet+meter at your sparking spot or at a public space where other EV drivers can also use (since it is charged by the hour and payment goes to management office as you mentioned)?

Appreciated for your info by the way.

Thanks all!

CCT:

I own it. The charger is at my space.

In fact they asked if someone can use it, but since it is my space it would be difficult. I've paid for some "infrastructure" already, so if they need a real public meter they can run a wire from my fuse box etc.

The arrangement is to make everything comply with regulations.

sonywong:

The hourly rate is not set yet. However EVPower suggested it should be: Cost of electricity plus 10-20%. If the charger is 7.7kW then the "rent" should be HK$8-10 per hour of charge time.

Thanks all!

CCT:

I own it. The charger is at my space.

In fact they asked if someone can use it, but since it is my space it would be difficult. I've paid for some "infrastructure" already, so if they need a real public meter they can run a wire from my fuse box etc.

The arrangement is to make everything comply with regulations.

sonywong:

The hourly rate is not set yet. However EVPower suggested it should be: Cost of electricity plus 10-20%. If the charger is 7.7kW then the "rent" should be HK$8-10 per hour of charge time.

Thanks, my situation is more complicated. I rent the parking spot (the one I own is an outdoor one) and the land lord can ask me to go in with 1 month notice. I don't want my Model S to park and charged outdoor so the only way is to ask if my land lord let me install a 13A socket or even a 32A charger. So I guess if she let me do it, I can do all the negotiation works on behave of her with management office and owners' committee. My place is manged by Jones Lang LaSalle , guess this will be easier than those managed by property mangers run by developers.

Thanks, my situation is more complicated. I rent the parking spot (the one I own is an outdoor one) and the land lord can ask me to go in with 1 month notice. I don't want my Model S to park and charged outdoor so the only way is to ask if my land lord let me install a 13A socket or even a 32A charger. So I guess if she let me do it, I can do all the negotiation works on behave of her with management office and owners' committee. My place is manged by Jones Lang LaSalle , guess this will be easier than those managed by property mangers run by developers.

I see.. tell her the global EV trend and charging facilities will definitely increase the value of her parking space in future :cool:

Too bad. Which reasons they gave for the rejection? According to the information from a manager in BMW (for the i3) the success rate for the installation permit is 50% based on their experience. Very low success rate in my opinion.
As I mentioned in some other posts before, the owner's committee agreement for installing wallboxes for charging will be the biggest obstacle to the EV success in HK.

What a shame, sonywong!

I totally agree, Vmax, this is vital for the success of EVs.

I have urged Tesla on several occasions that it is essential that they give super chargers high priority in Hong Kong. If there are enough super chargers, at least people have a place to charge, quickly and for free, for instance while shopping.

I can see the scenario happening, some less enthusiastic and maybe also less ... bright person will run his car totally out of power, blame Tesla Motors and then call Apple Daily!

Yes, it's going to happen, let's fight to make these events as few as possible, as it will severely damage the public image of EVs, and Tesla Motors.

The manager said they don't let me install now for 2 reasons:
1) they only have capacity for 4 charging facilities (I guess maybe he means space for 4 circuit breakers), if they let me install now, it is unfair to other residents who also wanna install in the future.

2) they afraid the charging facilities may affect the electricity of the buildings.

For the first reason, I think he can say the same thing even if they have capacity for 10 instead of 4.

So I won't give up. Maybe guys who get it done can share more details ?

BTW, the proposal written by EV Power isn't really a proposal, more like a quotation for the charging station and installation services.. .

sonywong, concerning your point 2), didn't EV Power check the electricity demand during peak hours to be able to counter the manager's concern right away, as long as there is really enough spare power? This is what they did for my installation. They were very well prepared for the discussion with the management.

"I can see the scenario happening, some less enthusiastic and maybe also less ... bright person will run his car totally out of power, blame Tesla Motors and then call Apple Daily!"

DITB, I'm so sure this is going to happen.

sonywong, concerning your point 2), didn't EV Power check the electricity demand during peak hours to be able to counter the manager's concern right away, as long as there is really enough spare power? This is what they did for my installation. They were very well prepared for the discussion with the management.

I think EV Power checked and that's why the manager said the existing capacity is enough for installations of 4 parking spot. He thinks it is unfair to let me install now and no capacity left for other residents.. I will check with him whether that's his idea or the owners' committee idea.

That's BS, I will propose them to send each residents a letter to ask if anyone else is interested in installing EVSE in their parking spot, if only 4 or less, they should let me install NOW; otherwise, first come first serve or lucky draw for residents who need one NOW.

The manager said they don't let me install now for 2 reasons:
1) they only have capacity for 4 charging facilities (I guess maybe he means space for 4 circuit breakers), if they let me install now, it is unfair to other residents who also wanna install in the future.

So it's "unfair" to deny some unknown person who hasn't asked for charging but theoretically may want a charger in the future, yet it's "fair" to deny you a charger here and now?

This argument is ludicrous.