Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Apps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So has there been talk about when there will be official Model S Apps made by third parties? I am looking forward to spotify as I have a subscription to it, but I would like to see what independent app creators can make for the Model S. I wonder if 6.0 will open it up, but overall I don't think they have said when they will open it up for App creation have they?

I think the original statement was that they thought they might get to it by the end of 2014, so you can assume it'll be later than that. There was also an ambiguous statement that may have indicated it would require a hardware upgrade. We know the current Tegra is underpowered, so I suppose that's plausible, but it was hotly debated what exactly was meant at the time. I wish I could find Elon's exact quote now.

In any case, I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

Last edited:
I think it was during his Q&A in Amsterdam recently that Elon mentioned an SDK coming alongside the v6.0 update. So I think it's reasonable to be hopeful for v6.0 to open up 3rd party applications.
It's interesting that this didn't trigger a big thread here on the forums. That's interesting news.

It's also a little different than what I was talking about that was targeted for the end of 2014, which was third-party apps running on the touchscreen. This appears to be an SDK for other apps to interact with the vehicle. It wasn't clear if this is formalizing the spec that VisibleTesla's been using to communicate with the vehicles since launch, for example, or something else.

I don't recall this linkage in Amsterdam. In fact I don't recall "SDK" and "soon" even being in the same paragraph.

Q&A with Elon Musk in Amsterdam. At 3:40 he discusses V6.0 and the SDK and at 5:00 he mentions that they expect to have 3rd party applications by 2015.

My original comment was in error, but I went back and researched it so that we could be clear on Musk's comments at that Q&A. That being said, Brianman, I know that you are a senior and longstanding member of the community and I respect your contributions here, but I don't appreciate being made to seem like I'm making up rumors. I'm just a lowly junior member, but I'm merely trying to contribute to the discussion. Feel free to "auto-banish" me, as you so eloquently put it, in the firmware thread.

Last edited by a moderator: