Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paris restricts car use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone tell me why there is no mention of promoting hybrids and EV's in France. Seems to me this would be a wake up call for the government to start subsiding the purchase of clean vehicles, maybe rebates etc.

That will help over twenty years time (or longer). It won't help today the way restrictions will do--even if they exempt EVs from the restrictions it will still take years before there are enough. Cars shouldn't have a Diesel engine because even the cleanest are very dirty--anyone who doesn't think so can just start their diesel up in the garage (with the door open of course.

Today (but only today) also in Rome car use is restricted. IMO these actions only produce temporary effects and for a very limited time. True measurements to be taken in cities like Paris and Rome having a high level of pollution is making compulsory the use of EVs.

Paris should adopt a congestion zone, much as London has. Thus people pay for the right to drive their polluting vehicles into the city center. EVs are exempt from these charges. Such a scheme provides a permanent incentive for people to adopt technology that doesn't harm others.

Really funny story of a Parisian S owner pulled over two times the same day downtown Paris because his license plate was showing an even number, which were banned this specific day due to pollution levels.
Seems that Tesla is completely unknown from French cops, and they were more than perplexed by the registration document proving the electric nature of the vehicle ! A real Tesla moment !

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/28816-Arrêté-2-fois-hier-à-Paris?p=608930#post608930
(In French, sorry)

Paris should adopt a congestion zone, much as London has. Thus people pay for the right to drive their polluting vehicles into the city center. EVs are exempt from these charges. Such a scheme provides a permanent incentive for people to adopt technology that doesn't harm others.

That's funny. I can imagine right now the 10.5 million strong civil disobedience campaign.

Approximately:
For the record, my plate is even, I was arrested twice yesterday late in the afternoon in Paris and Porte Maillot. I tried to say it was a Tesla, that there were no muffler ... "Sir, your gray card".
After careful consideration - the second did not look convinced, they let me go. To summarize, Tesla, in law enforcement, it is unknown to the battalion!