Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One Hit, Two Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

astrotoy

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2013
SF Bay Area
I may be the first Tesla owner to end up with two destroyed tires hitting one (unknown) object.

Yesterday afternoon I was making a gentle turn at about 35 mph on a clear road, no traffic and I heard a very loud bang and felt something hit the car. I looked back back but didn't see anything in road behind me. Within a couple of minutes I felt the car pull to the right and saw the "Very Low Tire Pressure" message. I pulled into a nearby gas station and saw that my right (19" wheels) tire was blown, with a big hole near the rim. After I called Tesla and they sent a flat bed within about 20 minutes, I checked and there was a little damage under the right passenger door and then I saw a one inch diameter bubble in my right rear tire. Apparently, whatever I hit took out my front right tire, hit my right rear door bottom, and then hit my right rear tire. After the car was flat bedded to Fremont, everything was fixed and I am getting back the car delivered to my home on Monday. The total damage - two right tires replaced (the new tires put on the rear wheels and the two old tires (with 8000 miles) put on the front as per Tesla's recommendation. The steering wheel had been knocked off center and the car was pulling to the right when the tech drove it, so an alignment was needed also. (Unfortunately I just had my one year service with an alignment a month ago). No damage to the wheels themselves and fortunately they were able to push back the metal piece under the door, so no damage there. $400 plus tax for the two tires, $50 for the labor and $145 for the alignment.

As usual, the service was superb. Gino was the driver of the flat bed, working for a contract tow company in Contra Costa County. He was extremely careful loading my car onto the flatbed, after backing into a very narrow space to get into the correct position, on a Friday afternoon in a very busy three way intersection in Concord. I watched him, but didn't believe what I was seeing - no way he could fit his flat bed in that space, but he did. Anyway, Gino dropped me off at my home, including lowering the car so I could retrieve my groceries from the frunk, and then drove the 40 miles down to Fremont. The Tesla road service guy kept me informed of the progress of Gino and called to make sure he had arrived at my location. Ben, my service tech at Fremont called me after he inspected the car (too late for the car to be repaired last night) and then again today with the status of the repair and to get my OK for the alignment. I really appreciate not having to go down to Fremont with the car or go back down to pick it up.