Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC got fried- anyone else experience this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other day I unplugged my car and got in to go for a drive. I noticed that my rated miles was 138, even though I had my charge level set to around 180.
When I got home I plugged my car in and the charge port went immediately to solid red. I unplugged, replugged, did same to 14-50 plug and checked the posts of the 14-50 for telltale signs of overheating. No deformities or melting signs. I called service and they logged in. Said it looked like they were seeing codes for both the car and the cable. My neighbor has an S also so I took my car to his house and plugged in using his cable. Went immediately red. At that point the SC said to bring the car in the next morning that it appears there must be a problem with the car. later in the evening I got a call from my neighbor who said his son told him about me coming over to test my car. I said yeah, thanks. He said my car must have fubarred his UMC because his car goes solid red when he plugs in now. Yesterday morning I took my car and both UMC cables to the SC. At first they said the charge port was bad and they would replace it and both UMCs. I got a POS ICE loaner and left. Late in the day I called for an update and was told that the Calif. engineers disagreed with the techs and wanted more diagnostics run. In the end they decided that our development must have had a power surge that fried both of our UMCs. They sent a new UMC out to my neighbor to try last night and plugged my car into a new UMC at the service center. This morning both cars were charged normally, so they had me come pick up my car and new UMC. Our development is about 10 years old with all underground utilities, and I don't recall any power surges this week. In fact we never lost power this winter when all around us were. I have 2 200 amp electrical panels with whole house surge protectors installed on both. Curious how this could have gotten past the panel protectors, yet nothing else in either of our houses was bothered at all. Anyone else have anything like this happen? For now my wife is insisting that I only charge during the day. She is spooked about possible fire, especially given other reports.

I would consider installing a HPWC and continue to charge at 40 Amps. The HPWC looks much more robust than the UMC and it is capable of 80 Amps. That way your wife can sleep peacefully while your car charges at night.

GSP

.....For now my wife is insisting that I only charge during the day. She is spooked about possible fire, especially given other reports.

What other reports? I think you are conflating your UMC failure due to power surge/irregularities with thermal runaway incidents due to improperly constructed wall plug installations or improperly seated 14-50 adapters. Tesla has already addressed that issue with updated software and ongoing issuance of new 14-50 adapters.

In the meantime so you and your wife can sleep well, I suggest you have an electrician inspect the garage wiring for compliance to code, and temporarily reduce the charging current to less than 40A (30A or even better 20A).

Agree that this is a common issue. My UMC was a year old and it stopped engaging when connecting it to the car. Frequently lots of orange and red lights on the charge port. Received a new one from Tesla and the problem went away. I too am considering a HPWC despite the fact that I have only one charger. The HPWC just seems like a more stable structure.

I'm not conflating anything. I was talking about my wife's concerns, and she isn't buying "explanations" from Tesla about the reasons. And for the record I rarely charge at over 30 amps and my outlet has been checked to make sure all connections are tight. Finally, I'm not aware of Tesla shipping any of the new adapters yet. If they are the SC isn't aware of it.

My first UMC (on delivery in November 2013) did not work so TM swapped it. One month ago the working one stopped connecting properly so they gave me another but stated it was temporary and that they would call me when the new one came in. They have not called yet.

It appears that these problems are common and that TM is aware of them but cannot fully fix them quickly enough so they just keep providing new UMCs.