Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla accept Trade-Ins?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They did mention earlier that since they are an EV-only manufacturer they would not touch ICE vehicles. Though I suppose for Tesla to simply resell the car to some used car dealer shouldn't be too much work and might be a good extra revenue stream. So as BBHigway said they might change their earlier stance.

Cobos

They should take EV trade-ins.

Since Tesla is the only EV manufacturer...it makes sense they would take a Tesla. But there are no others on the market at present....or am I wrong? It may make good marketing sense but probably not good financial sense at the moment.

Conversions? Wishful thinking, but how would Tesla know the quality. What a mess :eek:

Little to gain financially, but it sure would be good from a consumer point-of-view - some customers like to trade-in just because they don't have to deal with their old car anymore (even if the trade-in doesn't reduce the price of the new car).

Because the Model S will bring more conventional customers, Tesla might benefit from inviting Car Max or the like to send a representative over to offer money for the trade-in car. They may be able to expose a trade-in interface to their customers, which could make-or-break some (few?) potential buyers.

But it's all a lot to administrate (at least to get off the ground). Hmmm...

Because the Model S will bring more conventional customers, Tesla might benefit from inviting Car Max or the like to send a representative over to offer money for the trade-in car. They may be able to expose a trade-in interface to their customers, which could make-or-break some (few?) potential buyers.

A partnership like that with a 3rd party would work IMO -- but having them handle it themselves all alone... not likely.

I think the majority of customers interested in purchasing the Model S are accustomed to trading in their previous car towards the purchase of a new car. I assume most customers in the market for a vehicle $60k-$70k are not the type of people that would place an ad and want to deal with strangers to sell a used car.

A cool, or novel idea perhaps, but not a great idea... not when it comes to business. Do you really think they should dedicate resources to converting, or finding people to convert old vehicles for them?

They have little to gain there.

No take the cars and give them to a conversion shop or sell them for the body knowing they will be gutted and converted. I was not suggesting that TM get in the conversion business at all.

No take the cars and give them to a conversion shop or sell them for the body knowing they will be gutted and converted. I was not suggesting that TM get in the conversion business at all.
At first I kinda thought you were joking. Now I see that you're not.

Not every car is practical to convert. Tesla should do whatever makes good business sense.